Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, James said:

I don’t really get why this had to be announced today.

Would have been better to announce this during the international break or at the very end of the season.

We have a big game at the weekend and this is an unnecessary distraction.

Just how will this distract the players or coaching staff? I don’t think many of them would give a fuck of fans are having a whip around to try and buy 1% of the club, especially when there is already questions about the ownership.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

Just how will this distract the players or coaching staff? I don’t think many of them would give a fuck of fans are having a whip around to try and buy 1% of the club, especially when there is already questions about the ownership.

Because I’m a big believer in the butterfly effect. Right now, all thanks to Greg, a baby hedgehog has just been run over by Mrs Cole of  Macclesfield. To cut a long story short this triggers a series of events that lead to a 3-0 Burnley win

1 hour ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

It seems like to some people "if you don't like it, don't sign up to it" also translates as "shut up and don't give your view if it's not a positive one".

It’s a natural protective response isn’t it though? Constant negativity and snarky remarks have a real impact on people you now, and contributes to burnout. There have been loads of other protests and actions which have stopped, with people giving up for this very reason. Constructive feedback I’m sure is preferable. 

I do find the mentality of an NUFC that chooses to slate fan led action very odd. It’s as if the idea of having some kind of hope is an affront to them personally.

Edited by alijmitchell

Constructive feedback by it's very nature isn't going to be positive though is it.

People not getting behind this because it isn't focusing on removing Ashley and not believing that having a tiny share of the club (even if it worked) is worth it, is fair comment.

It isn't being snarky, it's what people think.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

Made my views very clear ever since they let Rafa go, Only a boycott will do Ashley only cares about Ur money he'll feed u a sweetie (Keegan,Rafa) once in a blue moon to keep u coming then go back to normal.its took me years to realise it but i have Aslong as he gets 45k seats sold he'll be here forever

Edit- I'd never get involved with anything that Alex is part of neither after that tweet 

Edited by astraguy

36 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Made my views very clear ever since they let Rafa go, Only a boycott will do Ashley only cares about Ur money he'll feed u a sweetie (Keegan,Rafa) once in a blue moon to keep u coming then go back to normal.its took me years to realise it but i have Aslong as he gets 45k seats sold he'll be here forever

Edit- I'd never get involved with anything that Alex is part of neither after that tweet 

What tweet?

58 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Cool but to be clear this campaign isn't seeking to drive Ashley out - just to be ready to buy a stake when he does leave.

Should’ve had a genuine fundraising professional bod involved to mitigate these donating teething problems. Not having all the ducks lined up for a launch isn't great at all. 

Taylor & Besty may not apply. 

Minor thing but amateur hour even if the “charity” angle will cover arses.

6 hours ago, James said:

I don’t really get why this had to be announced today.

Would have been better to announce this during the international break or at the very end of the season.

We have a big game at the weekend and this is an unnecessary distraction.

Wtf are you on about ffs [emoji38]

It's  a worrying thought to think that Jonjo will do 15% less running tomorrow now he's learned there is a fan led initiative to buy a stake in the club once Ashley has sold up.

On board

1892-pledge-logo-m.jpg

As ordinary members of NUST, we've joined the pledge scheme as outlined further below.

As ever, we don't claim to speak for anyone else, but think it's worthwhile outlining why we signed up.

We've had some brilliant days watching this club, from Barrack Road to Barcelona and most points in between. At present though, Burton and Bristol look back on the itinerary in the short term, with oblivion on the horizon.

To misquote a line from the Likely Lads, the only thing to look forward to currently is the past. Stay up this season for the chance to go through this miserable charade once again, or drop down and stay down.

It's been a long time since we held optimism for those in black and white, but struggling to rekindle any sort of enthusiasm for the club is something that's becoming dangerously common. Indifference is the greatest threat.

The Athletic ran a "state of the Geordie Nation" piece recently, which included Biffa's view of NUFC in 2021: 

"This is the lowest since we looked into the abyss in 1981. There was desperation and alienation and the only thing I had then as a 14 year-old was stuff in books.

"I had no direct experience of this club in any way being successful or ambitious. It was content to play dreadful football in a half-derelict, sparsely-populated ground.

"Forty years later you find yourself with similar feelings of alienation and desperation. You can only pity 14 year-olds now.

"Obviously the lockdown has amplified things but as an individual I have never felt less enfranchised, never known such a wilfully constructed gap between the club and supporters.

The pledge scheme may not succeed - and may only truly become relevant if NUFC emulate the downfall of the mackems - but the significance of achieving some sort of fan unity outside the confines of the club cannot be underestimated.

It's not quite Millwall's "no one likes us we don't care"mindset, but multitudes are happy to insult our intelligence and abuse our support, starting with those within the club itself.

There has to be some rallying point, some common ground to be established. We have never been a militant fanbase, never a crowd of "joiners" - witness the small number of domestic supporters clubs when compared to our contemporaries.

Nobody, surely can be content with the current reality of following a club though who barely seek to exist, let alone prosper or excel. If NUFC was a racehorse, both barrels of the shotgun would be loaded.

Exasperation with the state of some clubs caused groups of fans to found their own alternative of the FC United variety, but that chimed with us. Far better to try and change the current face of thing that brought those fans together initially.

No other business would wilfully watch as customers with decades of service reach their own tipping point and walk away - yet do nothing except remain silent.

In the absence of ambition or leadership, this is a fan-led attempt to arrest that decline and ensure that the club exists in a viable form for future generations to support.

In our eyes, the statement of raising a significant amount is as valuable as the actual cash - it proves that there's still a pulse round these parts, despite the perpetual mismanagement that we're subjected to.

Someone at least recognises the plight we're in, shares that frustration and cares enough to try to do something about it. That's good enough for us to buy a few less beers every month and set up a direct debit.

It's got to the point where we've got nothing to lose.

PS: Among those pledging their support on opening day was the son of a sheet metal worker from Gosforth (initials AS), who tweeted: "Well done. I'm in."

(From .com, in case it wasn’t clear.)

Edited by Atticus

As jaded as I am and as much skepticism as I have about Hurst and some others involved with NUST, even I’ve just set a DD up. There’s fuck all else to do to try and make a difference other than boycoutting, which means that money isn’t going directly to NUFC any time soon anyway.

If I was better off at the minute I’d have just matched the price of a season ticket and all related match day expenses over the year. Hopefully soon, and if I’m filthy rich in a few years I’ll kick a lot more in.

This makes me feel like I’m doing something “bigger” to try and improve the club long-term, so it’s well worth the money. I want my son/future kids and their future kids to be able to support their team for generations to come. What we have right now is completely unnatural and wrong.

Edited by Atticus

Guest neesy111

My monthly DD set-up.  I do not believe this will work, but you get no where in life without even trying things.

3 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

My monthly DD set-up.  I do not believe this will work, but you get no where in life without even trying things.

Ditto.