Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

27 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I trust the current crew, but there is nothing to guarantee it will be the same team in 10 years. Having £500k in the bank will attract the wrong kind of people the the board. Nobody knows what Len McCluskey will be doing in 10 years time.

The Board has no say - no more than any single member - one member one vote.

This is why we appointed the four Guardians' in Warren Barton, Ian Mearns, Lee Humble and George Caulkin.

29 minutes ago, Greg said:

The Board has no say - no more than any single member - one member one vote.

This is why we appointed the four Guardians' in Warren Barton, Ian Mearns, Lee Humble and George Caulkin.

Have they signed life long commitments in blood? My point still stands whether it is the board or guardians, neither are guaranteed to still be in place in 5/10 years.

At 20k a month they'll be able to get a 1% share in 5 and a half years assuming whoever owns the club is willing to sell it based on current valuation.  That 1%, even if they're allowed to buy it will give them the sum total of fuck all say in anything that happens with the club.

If they weren't taking people's money for this I'd let it slide but come on.

50 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Have they signed life long commitments in blood? My point still stands whether it is the board or guardians, neither are guaranteed to still be in place in 5/10 years.

It doesn't really - all the governance and structural arrangements of a formally constituted organisation that reports to the Financial Conduct Authority protect you in this area in so far as possible. It's about as safe as it can get in this regard. No individual has any real degree of control. 

8 minutes ago, loki679 said:

That 1%, even if they're allowed to buy it will give them the sum total of fuck all say in anything that happens with the club.

'Says who', I guess, is the rebuttal to that statement. Could easily be true but imagine if the next owners wanted to work with the fans. If Staveley et al are the new owners, every indication thus far is that they would. And we won't know unless we try. 

Guest reefatoon
21 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

'Says who', I guess, is the rebuttal to that statement. Could easily be true but imagine if the next owners wanted to work with the fans. If Staveley et al are the new owners, every indication thus far is that they would. And we won't know unless we try. 

I am sure they would have wanted to work with the fans anyway without handing out a percentage. This puts a bit of pressure on them now to do that and if they don’t, is it then going to be held against them? 

Edited by reefatoon

11 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

so if I put my £1 in, and this somehow goes through... I won't even get a personal say in the day to day runnings of the club?!

fucking shambles. fuck off NUST.

Kind of funny, if you like that kind of thing. 

41 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Greg What would you expect owning 1% of the club would give fans as regards how the club is run ? What decisions could they reasonably be expected to have a say on ?

9 minutes ago, InspectorCoarse said:

Greg What would you expect owning 1% of the club would give fans as regards how the club is run ? What decisions could they reasonably be expected to have a say on ?

I'm not expecting anything at this stage - I don't have a crystal ball. But none of us are naïve enough to believe it lets you run a football club, but neither would be want that. Fan influence through fan ownership does not mean a fan run football club. Newcastle United should have the best in the business appointed to run it at the highest management levels. 

We've said 1% is a target. We hope any new owners of the club would want to engage with the Trust.  Buying a small part of the club just makes it more likely – but we are up front that it is outside of our control. We feel it’s better to try and influence things like this from the inside and through influence in behaviour and action than to do nothing and forever wonder. The rules and conditions around any investment can be tailored and negotiated as required at that point in time should we ever get there.

Beyond this, should the club be relegated (a distinct possibility) then larger shareholdings could be in theory more possible in the years to come if it is required - you could see this as a life insurance policy in the event the club tanks to avoid the vultures that circle those types of clubs for personal gain (see various clubs that have been screwed over).

It's worth noting as well that anything that happens in the future would need to be approved by members. As a PL club, committed owners who have a robust relationship with Supporters through the trust should not ever need to procure more funding from the fans. However it’s more likely if the club fell through the leagues this might need to happen.  There’s a lot of ‘maybe’ scenario’s that we can’t address until they potentially happen. What we are trying to do is put the Trust and the fans in a position to even be in the position to influence/finance things if it is required.  

We will say often we can offer few guarantees – only that any money raised can only be used to pay into the club in exchange for shares/influence or go to charity. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Eight years. 

Surely we could raise that in say 5 years then as we will have a far bigger fanbase than hearts. Or going off that surely we could 15m in 8 years time.

if we are a championship club in 8 years time then 15m could be about 12% of the club 

Guest neesy111

I do like what @Greg that is an insurance policy as well if the club does slide down the divisions and could need financial support/investment.

@Greg hope you don’t mind the questions on here as I can’t be fucked to go any other route and apologies if any are a repeat. Not logged on for a while so may well have missed something in this thread.

How often an update will we get on total amount raised? Could a running total on the website be possible or would it be too complicated?

Is there a plan on how a replacement Guardian would be sought if anyone needed to step down? Would a member vote be involved? Would you be seeking like-for-like replacements i.e. Lee Humble steps down then you’d want another accountant/finance professional?

Considering how long these funds could just be sat around, that's a lot of potential erosion purely from inflation. Is there any consideration to investing it for growth somewhere down the line, even in to something low risk? Of course, can understand the hesitance, especially solely when considering the possible reaction from the more cynical among us.

I’m pretty sure answers to any of the above won’t stop me from setting up a small monthly amount but would still be nice to know.

Guest HTT II
18 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

I do like what @Greg that is an insurance policy as well if the club does slide down the divisions and could need financial support/investment.

It’s a key point some seem to miss or choose to ignore or haven’t digested, it’s a massive aspect for me in terms of why I’m pledging and in full support of the Trust, a stake in the club under a new owner post Ashley is the least of my desires right now, although that would be good and most welcome. It’s a pledge to safeguard the future of our club against another Ashley etc. that fills me with the most hope and desire to chip in!

Edited by HTT II

1 hour ago, wormy said:

How often an update will we get on total amount raised? Could a running total on the website be possible or would it be too complicated?

There is a running total on the website, albeit a bit of a slow one. (Top right.)

Edited by NEEJ

As if 1% is the be and end all. If the fans own even 1% of the club, then it's a great achievement, but who says it has to stop there? Newcastle United is going to be around a long time and not necessarily as an overvalued PL club. The fans owning any percentage, however long it takes is a good thing.

Guest reefatoon
12 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

As if 1% is the be and end all. If the fans own even 1% of the club, then it's a great achievement, but who says it has to stop there? Newcastle United is going to be around a long time and not necessarily as an overvalued PL club. The fans owning any percentage, however long it takes is a good thing.

Just out of interest fella, what are your exact reasons for it being a good thing? If it did happen and there was some chance of a tiny say in certain matters and it went to a vote between members, it would end in carnage. You see what it is like in here, 10 people can’t agree on anything and it always ends up in a slagging match. Imagine that on a much bigger scale. The division between fans would be even bigger than it is now. I am trying, but I can’t seem to find a positive to it.