Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

29 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Just out of interest fella, what are your exact reasons for it being a good thing? If it did happen and there was some chance of a tiny say in certain matters and it went to a vote between members, it would end in carnage. You see what it is like in here, 10 people can’t agree on anything and it always ends up in a slagging match. Imagine that on a much bigger scale. The division between fans would be even bigger than it is now. I am trying, but I can’t seem to find a positive to it.

Well on the whole, I think fan ownership whereby elected supporters, groups or trusts own part of a football club is the way it should be. I think its a good thing because I would back an elected group to supporters to make decisions in the best interests of the supporters and football club more than I would some random businessman.

I dont think NUST would claim to speak for all fans, just their members but if in a hypothetical situation they did own, say 20% of the club and were influential enough to have a say in matters, they could have an elected board to make decisions on behalf of the trust members. They could put large decisions to ballots I guess too. There'd be plenty of slagging, politics and disagreements no doubt but I think democratic decision making would prevail. Its a million miles away obviously and I hope it never comes to that as it'll probably mean we'll have been relegated twice over but it would mean that in a round about way I could have my views represented and with the use of a vote I could have a say in the decision making process at board level, even if it is miniscule like it is when you pop your ballot in the box to vote for your local MP. Part fan/supporter group ownership the same reason I believe in parliamentary democracy (in theory) and trade unionism.  

Edited by Doctor Zaius

3 hours ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Surely we could raise that in say 5 years then as we will have a far bigger fanbase than hearts. Or going off that surely we could 15m in 8 years time.

if we are a championship club in 8 years time then 15m could be about 12% of the club 

They had £50m in pledges within a matter of weeks last time they did something similar. Wonder if they've still got the details of those people as obviously they'd be able to clear the £3m pretty quickly. 

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

Just out of interest fella, what are your exact reasons for it being a good thing? If it did happen and there was some chance of a tiny say in certain matters and it went to a vote between members, it would end in carnage. You see what it is like in here, 10 people can’t agree on anything and it always ends up in a slagging match. Imagine that on a much bigger scale. The division between fans would be even bigger than it is now. I am trying, but I can’t seem to find a positive to it.

Democracy has always been overrated. A benevolent dictator is what you need. Like Saddam Hussein or Vince McMahon.

43 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Mind, I do think that if NUST were ever able to raise an amount needed to buy any percentage of the club, Mike Ashley would tell they to get to fuck out pure spite. 

Think you're missing the point, I think its aimed at new owners. Doubt anyone would give Mike Ashley any money for any percentage, he'd just take the money and not listen.

4 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Think you're missing the point, I think its aimed at new owners. Doubt anyone would give Mike Ashley any money for any percentage, he'd just take the money and not listen.

It is my understanding that the NUST leaders are very willing to give their money to Mike Ashley.

There’s still no sort of solid plan beyond “maybe buying a nominal share”. 

I get the insurance policy bit. But as I said, that’s still a massive long shot for many reasons. Even in League One, £50m is an astronomical figure to reach and then there would need to be ongoing funding afterwards. There would be plenty of people with a lot more money interested before it got to that point.

It just feels like pissing in the wind. 

Although, when the money is split between charities at least it’ll go to some good use.

Not surprised Alex is the key player behind this. He’ll be gagging to try and sit in the boardroom.

Before anyone starts whinging on, I’ve pledged.

With any fan led initiative anywhere you will always get people that you don't like. Pretty sure the likes of Bartomeu isn't liked at Barca, but that's why there are democratic processes...well done for pledging!

55 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

It is my understanding that the NUST leaders are very willing to give their money to Mike Ashley.

Understand from what source?

Just for the record the chair of NUST is a member on here and friends with many people on here and has said the exact opposite to them privately and in public.

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Understand from what source?

Just for the record the chair of NUST is a member on here and friends with many people on here and has said the exact opposite to them privately and in public.

I think Candi Hills meant Hurst wants to get back in the ground asap and give MA his season ticket money 

36 grand in a day and a half is incredible progress, like. This isn't meant to sound passive aggressive cos I respect the reasons why folks might not want to chip in, but it's pleasing that clearly a lot of folks can see how the zero risk gamble is one worth taking. And I mean, imagine it does go to charity, what an unbelievable contribution it's going to end up being. 

Football. :thup:

4 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

They had £50m in pledges within a matter of weeks last time they did something similar. Wonder if they've still got the details of those people as obviously they'd be able to clear the £3m pretty quickly. 

That is not true.

8 minutes ago, Greg said:

That is not true.

Got it from there

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-fans-pledge-50million-buy-3366385

And there

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nust-work-ashley-aid-nufc-1409373.amp

Did seem a lot for nothing to then happen with. 

Edited by Joey Linton

Has NUST anticipated any potential fallout from the prospective owners rejecting the proposal? 

I mean, if the consortium haven't been consulted on this and don't like the idea then haven't NUST put them at risk of alienating a portion of fans before they've even taken over? 

Edited by Thumbheed

9 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

2000 people who say they would be willing to give you £25,000 each is very different to actually having the money in the bank.

1 minute ago, Greg said:

2000 people who say they would be willing to give you £25,000 each is very different to actually having the money in the bank.

Didn't say otherwise. Still it's an indication of interest that existed last time around. Maybe means the £3m isn't as impossible as some people think?

4 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Didn't say otherwise. Still it's an indication of interest that existed last time around. Maybe means the £3m isn't as impossible as some people think?

I hope so. We're close to 40k - less than 48 hours in. Majority being monthly pledges. 

A great start, but we've hit a very small percentage of the fan base and need to spread the word. Big challenge is spreading the word outside social media and the online world. 

Guest reefatoon
8 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

Has NUST anticipated any potential fallout from the prospective owners rejecting the proposal? 

I mean, if the consortium haven't been consulted on this and don't like the idea then haven't NUST put them at risk of alienating a portion of fans before they've even taken over? 

This was my concern too.