Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

Guest HTT II
16 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

This was my concern too.

You’d hope any would be new buyer would be on board with something like this, win win win situation for new owners to be engaged with fans in such a way from the off. From everything I’ve read of Stavely/PIF and heard, they appear to be the type to want to have a good relationship with fans. That doesn’t mean they may also want to sell a stake to fans, of course...

Edited by HTT II

8 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

Has NUST anticipated any potential fallout from the prospective owners rejecting the proposal? 

I mean, if the consortium haven't been consulted on this and don't like the idea then haven't NUST put them at risk of alienating a portion of fans before they've even taken over? 

If any potential new owner has issues with a united fanbase wanting more involvement with the running of the club then they are not the right owners for the club imo.

I for one, am delighted some form of action has been taken on behalf of the fans. From someone who threw their 20yr season ticket in 10 yrs ago when i seen which way the club was headed under ashley ,  i find it very uplifting and have already committed my 10 quid a month to charity (im blowing a tenner a day on a pack of tabs at mo ).

My only disappointment in the pledge scheme , is i would like  to invest more , but am reluctant to using this method. I find it quite easy to kiss goodbye to a tenner a month , but not so much a few grand .

If there were ever some sort of fans investment fund to run alongside it , or anything which doesn't make my money completely disappear  !  

Regardless , well done and thanks to all involved who have given up their time and energy to make this happen.:clap:

Guest reefatoon
14 minutes ago, HTT II said:

You’d hope any would be new buyer would be on board with something like this, win win win situation for new owners to be engaged with fans in such a way from the off. From everything I’ve read of Stavely/PIF and heard, they appear to be the type to want to have a good relationship with fans. That doesn’t mean they may also want to sell a stake to fans, of course...

Yeah, I agree that they will want to engage with the fans from the start, it’s a no brainier for them, but like you say, it doesn’t necessarily mean they will want to go as far as selling a share to the fans. Just seems odd to me that we have people wanting the club, who are pushing through arbitration to try and acquire it, then NUST release this without any kind of discussion (hopefully something somewhere has been discussed to them). Just seems a bit forceful and pressured onto new potential owners. For 1% I am sure the interaction would be no different from new owners as it would without a share, as they will want the fans onboard from the off, just without folks paying money into it.  I would feel loads more confident, understand it and be more than willing to be involved if I knew the potential new owners were backing it (I suppose we don’t even know if that takeover will go through). It’s all a bit of an odd one for me.  It’s great to see you back @HTT II 

If we can get 1%, which of the 3 investors gives up a part of their share ? or do they all give up 0.33%. In an ideal world the new owner would allow fans representation anyway, I think the fact we are prepared to put our own money in would obviously help. 

If PCP assume control in the summer and in a business sense it’s not practical to allow the trust 1% I would hope this doesn’t become an issue. I’m sure Staveley and co will want to get fans on board regardless. The people at the trust seem sensible enough folk and it may just not be worth while for the 2 minority stakes to go below 10%. After waiting years to get rid of Ashley I would hate to see an unsightly stand off over a 1% stake. I’m very open minded about this but for me personally new ownership is all that matters in short term.

39 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

If PCP assume control in the summer and in a business sense it’s not practical to allow the trust 1% I would hope this doesn’t become an issue. I’m sure Staveley and co will want to get fans on board regardless. The people at the trust seem sensible enough folk and it may just not be worth while for the 2 minority stakes to go below 10%. After waiting years to get rid of Ashley I would hate to see an unsightly stand off over a 1% stake. I’m very open minded about this but for me personally new ownership is all that matters in short term.

PIF's proposed takeover of NUFC has fallen through after the buying parties were unable to reach a deal with the club's supporter's trust.

14 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

PIF's proposed takeover of NUFC has fallen through after the buying parties were unable to reach a deal with the club's supporter's trust.

I don’t envisage that scenario Candi [emoji38]. However, I don’t believe the new owners intentions should be judged by their willingness to give the trust a 1% stake.

If Staveley says it’s not feasible then so be it for me. After 14 years of Ashley I don’t think the rank and file will give a jot about this in the midst of the ensuing euphoria.

2 hours ago, Dunce said:

If any potential new owner has issues with a united fanbase wanting more involvement with the running of the club then they are not the right owners for the club imo.

I for one, am delighted some form of action has been taken on behalf of the fans. From someone who threw their 20yr season ticket in 10 yrs ago when i seen which way the club was headed under ashley ,  i find it very uplifting and have already committed my 10 quid a month to charity (im blowing a tenner a day on a pack of tabs at mo ).

My only disappointment in the pledge scheme , is i would like  to invest more , but am reluctant to using this method. I find it quite easy to kiss goodbye to a tenner a month , but not so much a few grand .

If there were ever some sort of fans investment fund to run alongside it , or anything which doesn't make my money completely disappear  !  

Regardless , well done and thanks to all involved who have given up their time and energy to make this happen.:clap:

This is a nice thought on paper but totally naive in terms of reality. 

I'd be 100% behind this if I knew there'd been signs of engagement on this but as it stands I can't think of a worse time to release something like this.

2 hours ago, reefatoon said:

Yeah, I agree that they will want to engage with the fans from the start, it’s a no brainier for them, but like you say, it doesn’t necessarily mean they will want to go as far as selling a share to the fans. Just seems odd to me that we have people wanting the club, who are pushing through arbitration to try and acquire it, then NUST release this without any kind of discussion (hopefully something somewhere has been discussed to them). Just seems a bit forceful and pressured onto new potential owners. For 1% I am sure the interaction would be no different from new owners as it would without a share, as they will want the fans onboard from the off, just without folks paying money into it.  I would feel loads more confident, understand it and be more than willing to be involved if I knew the potential new owners were backing it (I suppose we don’t even know if that takeover will go through). It’s all a bit of an odd one for me.  It’s great to see you back @HTT II 

This is my take.

I'm just a bit uncomfortable with the idea of the consortium having to go through all that they have only to have a 3rd party come at the very last moment and try and take a £3m stake in the club, which could feasibly be worth £15m in a few years time with the proposed investment that said consortium are planning on making. 

What have NUST got to offer the consortium/business that could warrant that kind of compensation?

Edited by Thumbheed

Guest HTT II
3 hours ago, reefatoon said:

All reasonable thoughts, however, for me anyway, I think the main objective of the Trust’s pledge scheme is to safeguard the club’s future should we get bad owners or Ashley stays and we trickle down the leagues etc. If we get the desired new owners, I think they would or should be ok with the fans having such a small stake and if not you’d have to wonder why.

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

All reasonable thoughts, however, for me anyway, I think the main objective of the Trust’s pledge scheme is to safeguard the club’s future should we get bad owners or Ashley stays and we trickle down the leagues etc. If we get the desired new owners, I think they would or should be ok with the fans having such a small stake and if not you’d have to wonder why.

It’d come down to profit margins as a previous poster said above. If PIF buy the club and make it worth 2 billion in 10 years, that 1% stake represents a hefty sum. If the club is worth 2 billion in 10 years I’d hazard a guess we’ve become massively successful and to be honest at that point I doubt the majority would give a jot about there motives. I see you’re point about a doomsday scenario and slipping down the leagues, but beyond that this will be a nice contribution to charity, or a long term safeguard in the event of dropping like a stone.

Guest HTT II
13 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It’d come down to profit margins as a previous poster said above. If PIF buy the club and make it worth 2 billion in 10 years, that 1% stake represents a hefty sum. If the club is worth 2 billion in 10 years I’d hazard a guess we’ve become massively successful and to be honest at that point I doubt the majority would give a jot about there motives. I see you’re point about a doomsday scenario and slipping down the leagues, but beyond that this will be a nice contribution to charity, or a long term safeguard in the event of dropping like a stone.

Yeah I kind of agree, it’s a win win situation for NUST, us fans and the club’s new owners whatever happens either way IMO. 

Scenario 1 - we get taking over and the new owners agree to sell a stake to the trust (great)

Scenario 2 - we get taking over and the new owners don’t want to sell a stake to the trust (Ashley finally goes), but local charities gets shit loads of money (great)

Scenario 3 - Ashley stays, we go down, we go down again, the value of the club drops, the trust’s pot grows, our future potential stake grows (still positives for NUST)

Scenario 4 - highly unlikely, admittedly, but say a decade on there is tens and tens of millions in the pot to potentially save the club going bust or buy the club out totally should the value drop to say 50m or something after years outside of the top flight (still positives for NUST)

Another scenario to that is should we do a sunderland in the next decade and the club is up for sale at say 50-60m we could co-own the club with another major investor who might not be able to afford the full asking price in their own (great)

Either way I see nothing negative about the Trust’s pledge scheme full stop and again fully support it and hope in time tens of thousands of others will which I’m confident will happen.

Thursday was a great day for our club or rather our club’s fanbase which in reality without there is no club. We are the club essentially. 

Edited by HTT II

22 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Yeah I kind of agree, it’s a win win situation for NUST, us fans and the club’s new owners whatever happens either way IMO. 

Scenario 1 - we get taking over and the new owners agree to sell a stake to the trust (great)

Scenario 2 - we get taking over and the new owners don’t want to sell a stake to the trust (Ashley finally goes), but local charities gets shit loads of money (great)

Scenario 3 - Ashley stays, we go down, we go down again, the value of the club drops, the trust’s pot grows, our future potential stake grows (still positives for NUST)

Scenario 4 - highly unlikely, admittedly, but say a decade on there is tens and tens of millions in the pot to potentially save the club going bust or buy the club out totally should the value drop to say 50m or something after years outside of the top flight (still positives for NUST)

Another scenario to that is should we do a sunderland in the next decade and the club is up for sale at say 50-60m we could co-own the club with another major investor who might not be able to afford the full asking price in their own (great)

Either way I see nothing negative about the Trust’s pledge scheme full stop and again fully support it and hope in time tens of thousands of others will which I’m confident will happen.

Thursday was a great day for our club or rather our club’s fanbase which in reality without there is no club. We are the club essentially. 

Think you’ve covered all bases there fair play. I’m open minded on this and hopefully it’s a win win like you say.

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Think you’ve covered all bases there fair play. I’m open minded on this and hopefully it’s a win win like you say.

Thanks and for once in the last decade or so (Rafa’s time here aside), I’m actually excited about things in the not too near and distant future and that’s thanks to NUST and this pledge scheme. Hopefully the takeover will go through sometime soon and the club and fans can be United once more, stake or no stake. If that all fails and we go down and end up rotting even more, I believe we now have a supporters trust we can believe in, join, get behind and be United together to fight for the future of our club which is on its own, a momentous thing for the fanbase as again, without fans there is no club, we are the club and always have been and always will be regardless of times and changes of owners etc. That and I’m trying to be as positive as I can be today in my life with everything that means something to my life, I want my boys to have a club to support, games to go to, wonderful nights like against Barca and heroes to worship like I had in KK, Big Al et al. Their generation needs NUFC to be the best it can be or we lose a generation and we lose even more of our club. This pledge scheme means for me at least anyway, a fight to save my club and if I don’t pledge at least, I can’t fight and I’ll eventually lose my club forever and I don’t want that, I miss my club, going to games, I miss having my heroes in black and white, for me and my boys. Pledge, join NUST, fight, the end is near for Ashley surely?!

Edited by HTT II

Been for a walk with my dad this morning and he asked question which I said I would post on here. 

Before Ashley came in my dad had a couple of hundred quid's worth of shares in the club, but he reckons when Ashley took over he was able to buy them under some compulsory rule because he owned so much of it already. He also paid less than my dad paid for the shares when he did it? 

If new owners come in and decide they dont want to work with the trust will they be able to do the same with the Trust's 1% and buy them for cheaper than the Trust paid? Or is there an agreement that they can't do that? 

The shares aren't publically traded.  The trust can't buy anything if the owner doesn't want to sell to them.  When Ashley took over the shares were traded on the market and so the price he paid was based on that.

Guest HTT II
11 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Been for a walk with my dad this morning and he asked question which I said I would post on here. 

Before Ashley came in my dad had a couple of hundred quid's worth of shares in the club, but he reckons when Ashley took over he was able to buy them under some compulsory rule because he owned so much of it already. He also paid less than my dad paid for the shares when he did it? 

If new owners come in and decide they dont want to work with the trust will they be able to do the same with the Trust's 1% and buy them for cheaper than the Trust paid? Or is there an agreement that they can't do that? 

At the time the club was publicly listed, of course should the new owners sell a stake to the trust, there will be all kinds of variables on buy back/sale and maybe even an a opportunity for the trust to buy more of a stake. They couldn’t just buy the trust’s stake off them for pennies is my understanding. Anyone else with more of a clue on such matters able to join in?

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, loki679 said:

The shares aren't publically traded.  The trust can't buy anything if the owner doesn't want to sell to them.  When Ashley took over the shares were traded on the market and so the price he paid was based on that.

Basically this!

Was initially more than a little cynical, however the early execution of this is excellent. Plaudits to anyone here that's been involved in the set-up. Has it been reported anywhere what percentage of pledges are recurring? 

Guest HTT II

Over 40k pledged so far, you’d assume a good percentage of those pledging will do so on a regular basis given the scheme a great start, well done all. I’ve pledged a rather large amount first off and will wait to see what the following days, weeks, months etc. brings before I pledge regular in terms of direct debits every week or so. I’m confident I will commit to that, though. 

Edited by HTT II

6 hours ago, HTT II said:

Are you a member of the Magpie Group HTT ? If not they liked you’re post.

Guest HTT II
9 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Are you a member of the Magpie Group HTT ? If not they liked you’re post.

I’m not no, not that I’m aware of anyway!