Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

I’m glad Greg and Heron won, the only 2 I voted for.

I’m surprised Greg got so many votes considering the criticism he’s been getting on Twitter recently.

I guess it’s true what they say, the people on Twitter are quick to call people and claim they are a better fan or would be better for the job, when in reality they can’t even be arsed to sign up to the trust they heavily criticise for not representing them and get a vote.

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I’m surprised Greg got so many votes considering the criticism he’s been getting on Twitter recently.

I guess it’s true what they say, the people on Twitter are quick to call people and claim they are a better fan or would be better for the job, when in reality they can’t even be arsed to sign up to the trust they heavily criticise for not representing them and get a vote.

The people on twitter are barely people. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Not sure why anyone would wish to sign up to any organisation who they don't believe represents them. That would be stupid. 

The Trust have set out that their main long term aim now is owning what will only ever be a tiny proportion of the club. Don't see how anyone who can see that it is a wasted exercise would sign up now. The Trust don't now have a real purpose for the vast majority of supporters, including many on here who signed up to the pledge but have since cancelled their donations. 

9 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Not sure why anyone would wish to sign up to any organisation who they don't believe represents them. That would be stupid. 

The Trust have set out that their main long term aim now is owning what will only ever be a tiny proportion of the club. Don't see how anyone who can see that it is a wasted exercise would sign up now. The Trust don't now have a real purpose for the vast majority of supporters, including many on here who signed up to the pledge but have since cancelled their donations. 

Said it before, TMG, the London TMG, Toon for Change, Ashley Out, Sack Pardew have all tried to form a protest group, and all been hounded out by people who don’t like that it wasn’t their idea, or that they aren’t getting the credit and/or money from it.

Our fans have had plenty of opportunity to have a protest group, they have thrown it away each and every time and they will continue to do so.

Next Sunday there will be some shouting outside the ground before the game that is not picked up by the media, followed by the same people going into the ground and sitting in silence for 90 minutes, you might get one chant against the Premier League or some boo’s for a misplaced pass etc, but that’s all you are getting from our fan base.

I’ve been there, I got my fingers burnt.

If you want a protest group, create one, everyone will say they will back you, as soon as you gain momentum and/or ask for help, people will turn on you.

Edited by Stifler

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Said it before, TMG, the London TMG, Toon for Change, Ashley Out, Sack Pardew have all tried to form a protest group, and all been hounded out by people who don’t like that it wasn’t their idea, or that they aren’t getting the credit and/or money from it.

Our fans have had plenty of opportunity to have a protest group, they have thrown it away each and every time and they will continue to do so.

Next Sunday there will be some shouting outside the ground before the game that is not picked up by the media, followed by the same people going into the ground and sitting in silence for 90 minutes, you might get one chant against the Premier League or some boo’s for a misplaced pass etc, but that’s all you are getting from our fan base.

I’ve been there, I got my fingers burnt.

If you want a protest group, create one, everyone will say they will back you, as soon as you gain momentum and/or ask for help, people will turn on you.

Also it's an interesting take having a pop at people for not signing up to the Trust to vote in their elections when if you look at those numbers the majority of their CURRENT members couldn't be bothered to vote anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Also it's an interesting take having a pop at people for not signing up to the Trust to vote in their elections when if you look at those numbers the majority of their CURRENT members couldn't be bothered to vote anyway. 

Pretty good endorsement that they're happy with the Trust tbh.

In reality a 25% turnout for something like this is actually pretty good - and remains one of the biggest democratic exercises in English football.

It's bollocks to say the Trust is only interested in fan ownership and the pledge - pledge is a long term thing - could tick away building up over 10 years or more - but could be there to save us if the worst happens or once we have a good fund behind us we start having serious conversations with prospective buyers. Or the takeover could go through - it not be needed and we wrap it up and make a big donation to NE charities that are very much in need, especially since the Northern Rock/Virgin Foundation was closed down which provided a lot of funding to local charities. 

14 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

No, I’m not having a pop, I’m just asking the question of what you want the NUST to do and what has changed in the few months since they announced the pledge scheme, what have they done or what have they not done?

In all honesty I never get an answer that makes sense.

Lets say they organise a peaceful protest. We have shown how that doesn’t work with our fans in the past. Too many of our fans are quite happy to go into the ground and happy clap, and just chant outside, away from the cameras and the national press doesn’t pick it up. SSN though maybe be straight on the case with fake news if we protested like Trisha Takanawa ‘I’m standing here Tom where the Newcastle fans are in unrest, possibly against Steve Bruce, despite him being the best manager they have ever had’.

A peaceful protest/chanting isn’ going to work even if it got started, and it won’t because I have already pointed out that theirs too many of our fans who don’t want their match day ritual interrupted or told what to do, that is if the likes of Wraith etc doesn’t get in there twisting everything so he can be in the limelight.

On top of this, we are ultimately protesting for the approval of the Saudi government to buy us. That isn’t going to gain any traction with other fans, and certainly not the wider public. Everyone will be on the Premier Leagues side. On top of this the Premier League is ran by a guy who has spent his career at organisations where corruption is rife and if he’s being corrupted by the top 6 (he is), then he’ll stand by them because that’s all he knows.

In addition to this his right hand man is someone who put Northern Rock on the brink of collapse after buying dodgy mortgage portfolios despite being told by everyone around him not too, is currently the chairman of bank that is being investigated for failing to protest their customers from money laundering and/or facilitating laundering through failing to do the bare minimum to prevent it from occurring despite the FCA legally obliging them too. He also happens to be heavily involved with BeIN and ultimately the Qatari government who are heavily against our takeover and have been proven to be massively corrupt with their World Cup bid.

The Premier League are also in two legal battles with NUFC where they are firstly trying to force the deal through, and secondly are being sued by Ashley for somewhere between £200m-£350m. Let’s say the NUST approved some banners and songs against the Premier League and our fans actually got behind it (they won’t).

Do you honestly think a few nasty chants and banners is going to make the Premier League to change their mind when such costly legal battles so far hasn’t?

Ok so now a peaceful protest is ruled out. Now we go onto illegal protest, this includes non violent protest which would disrupt games etc by going onto the pitch or somehow preventing games from being played.

Any board member on the NUST would legally be responsible if they instigated such protests. That means a potential criminal record, it means the potential loss of a job, and potential costly legal challenges. At the very least, they will never be able to attend a football match again.

You cannot expect anyone to make those life long sacrifices. If you want to go ahead, then fair play, but you cannot expect anyone else too, nor can you expect anyone to back you up.

We have all heard people say that if they ever saw Ashley they would deck him one, yet we have all seen the videos where people have came across him, stood 10 yards away in a safe distance and told him to sell the club when they actually come across him.

So yes, I keep asking what you want the NUST to do, because each time I keep hearing that they aren’t doing enough, they aren’t a protest group etc. I’m never hearing a suggestion of what they could be doing, let alone a suggestion that is reasonable and stands a chance of succeeding.

NUST hasn’t failed NUFC, our fans have by not acting when they had various groups supporting them during boycotts and protests. People who like to attach themselves to the club for their own gain have also failed NUFC by blocking these protests and such, so that they can claim that they have been to every game and are the super fan, despite never getting the fucking context of the situation.

Edited by Stifler

100% agree with this, I took part in all the protests and the amount of fans that either ignored or argued against the protests was sickening.

During one of the walkouts I personally took absolute dogs abuse from two fish wives in the Gallowgate end sitting with a picnic basket on their laps, I now hate the "support the team not the regime" mantra these super fans blurt out.

The support is now massively split and I'm not sure it will ever get back to how it was, I just wish the away following was mirrored at St James.

13 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

If this is true (and that is a matter of opinion) then the vast majority of supporters either haven't thought it through properly or just can't be arsed to do anything about it.

The Trust's long term aims will ultimately be determined by what its members want in the long term, not what the current board have planned. If there's a vast majority that have a vision of a better purpose for the Trust then they could quite feasibly take over and shape it in that vision. A small minority even could have done it this time- less than even 2,000 fans voting for the same 6 candidates would have got all 6 seats on the board. Elections are annual- repeat the process and could have a majority of the board in just over a year. That would completely change the nature of the organisation to be whatever they want it to be.

This isn’t really a debate for the trust thread, but I think we’ve possibly written off protest too quickly. You don’t need those superfans on side, you just need a couple of thousand people willing to create disruption. 

I’m not convinced it would ‘work’ because ordinary people really can’t force billionaires to do business deals. But at the same time, trying to play the traditional role of a supporters trust is just nonsensical when Ashley is owner. And if anything it gives the superfans a licence to continue as if everything is fine. 

PS I admire people taking leadership in the trust and I don’t know what I would do. It’s an almost impossible situation for the organisation to be in.