Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

Guest reefatoon
7 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

What makes you so sure PIF or whoever are interested in that? To my mind their agenda will come first same as Ashley’s. Difference being they are arsed about quality of product...which we then assume. 

And if that is the case, why would they then want to give a 1% stake to a group that would be against their way of doing it? 

15 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Even if they have £10m in the pot, can you see Ashley selling a % to the fans?

No point planning to buy anything from anyone else, as Ashley isn’t going anywhere.

Their membership have already been clear that they don’t want to engage with Ashley, so I’m unsure why they’d go against that as the voice of the fans and want to fund him with this further money.

Even in the unlikely event of a sale and the new owners unexpectedly allowing the sale of 1%. What will NUST achieve with that 1%? They’ll have as much say and input as they do now. None.

The only way it’d work is if the club were worth fuck all and they could buy the club with the fund. Which isn’t going to happen. Or, somehow the fund is backed way beyond the realms of possibility and ended up with £300m+. Which also isn’t going to happen.

It’s made even more unlikely by the fact they published this grand idea with such little detail (like what they’d do with the 1%), that people are not going to get behind it.

We’re also talking about launching a project of getting people to part with their hard earned money during one of the biggest social and economical challenges the world has ever seen.

That’s even before we get onto the fact the club is currently burning to the ground and they’re more bothered about planning for this than taking appropriate action now.

”Give us your money each month so we may or may not buy 1% of the club to do something we’ve not yet worked out in 10 years.”

So aye, in a nutshell, it is Alex’s impossible dream.

“But it’s people’s hard earned cassshhhhh!!!!” Give over man, it’s a £10 a month and most people are pissing that away on shite from Amazon/bets/cans/pret. You’re going on like it’s a gigantic financial commitment. Obviously for some who are destitute, it’s not feasible, but to go on like it’s some sort of mad financial scheme to fleece people from their cash is totally disingenuous 

2 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

“But it’s people’s hard earned cassshhhhh!!!!” Give over man, it’s a £10 a month and most people are pissing that away on shite from Amazon/bets/cans/pret. You’re going on like it’s a gigantic financial commitment. Obviously for some who are destitute, it’s not feasible, but to go on like it’s some sort of mad financial scheme to fleece people from their cash is totally disingenuous 

I didn’t say they are fleecing anyone from cash, it’ll be a nice charitable donation.

You’ve picked out one small point of multiple, but I’ll still humour you…

Your “most people are pissing that away on shite from Amazon etc.” makes you sound like a massive whopper btw. £10 a month to some people, will be unaffordable. Open your front door and put down the Daily Mail.

Will that be a factor for everyone? No. Will it be a reason why at least some people don’t partake? Yes.

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

I didn’t say they are fleecing anyone from cash, it’ll be a nice charitable donation.

You’ve picked out one small point of multiple, but I’ll still humour you…

Your “most people are pissing that away on shite from Amazon etc.” makes you sound like a massive whopper btw. £10 a month to some people, will be unaffordable. Open your front door and put down the Daily Mail.

Will that be a factor for everyone? No. Will it be a reason why at least some people don’t partake? Yes.

Okay mate I’ll stop living in my ivory tower here in Glasgow and start thinking about how the only people who can possibly afford to pay a tenner a month are cunts rolling around in 4 x 4s, shopping at Waitrose. 

Sure most working people going to the match can afford a tenner a month, whether they choose too is another thing. 

I’ll get back to the Mail online, need to catch up on my hate.

1 hour ago, loki679 said:

The pledge bollocks is utterly pointless.

Nah it’s not like and to reach that figure thus far is amazing IMO!

Edited by HTT II

Guest reefatoon
7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Nah it’s not like and to reach that figure thus far is amazing IMO!

I'd be interested to hear why it is such a good idea fella. I hear people saying it's a good idea, but I haven't heard any reason's why it's a good idea and how it can benefit the club, area and fans. All I see is a scheme that's pissing in the wind, but would love to have my mind changed on why it's a good thing.

3 hours ago, reefatoon said:

As a fanbase, I wouldn't want us within a million miles of having a stake in the club. We have proved over the last 15 years how much of a disjointed bunch of useless bastards we are, who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Or just sit there and feed the flames of failure without a murmur, nevermind club together to make any kind of decisions of note (not that 1% would give us any say anyway). Hopefully we get taken over somewhere down the line by people who want to make the club and area the best it can be, and the money saved from this scheme can be put to much better use and help out the local charities immensely.  I'm sure if a takeover does appear, then the majority of fans won't care about some percentage anyway. If the club was run properly that's all we need/want as fans, we don't need a token, pointless seat at the table for that. I am just struggling to find the point of it all really, apart from a pipe dream by some people to be on the board.

@reefatoonI share your concerns about our fanbase, but onceover, we had a very active, vocal and militant fanbase. I think what changed this is the lack of engagement from the club and the media smearing us as deluded, entitled and a "poisoned chalice". If we felt our voices would be heard I think we could re-ignite that. Even more so if we actually owned the club or at least part of it. I am absolutely positive we would run our club better than Ashley. You think the likes of Wise, Kinnear, Pardew, Bruce would have been our club if we owned it? You think the likes of Keegan and Rafa would have been treat so poorly? You think we'd be happy, with 17th and not giving a fuck about cups? You think the corpse of the  pigeon would still be in the upper netting of the Gallowgate roof after four years?

Even if we  spent most of the time languishing in lower league football, it would be better than what we have now. We would actually be apart of our club. We would have to engage with our club and it would have to engage with us. Doesn't fan ownership mean even more when success does come about? The likes of Manchester United and Liverpool, have been very successful, but how much credit can fans of those clubs really take for that? They have been lucky too have fantastic owners of their club. 

3 hours ago, reefatoon said:

I have read @Rafalove answers above and commend you for your passion about it, but apart from the part where you say "can put there opinions forward, and increase communication and transparency between club and fans" which I think we definitely need, but we don't need a seat at the table for that, we just need owners who are willing to communicate (not like the twat in charge at the moment), which will be the first thing new owners will want to do anyway (without having any added pressure of giving a percentage of the club away). I can't see or read any kind of special benefit this will bring if I'm honest.

There's no guarantee the next bloke to own us, won't be another Ashely. If he is, we need fan representation on the board to keep him/her/them honest. During Ashley's ownership their have been attempts to smear Keegan, Shearer, Given, Rafa, probably more but those are the names of the top of my head. Imagine if those smear attempts had been successful, imagine we fell out of love with Keegan and we had been duped in to thinking Dennis Wise was the saviour of our club. It might have happened and it wasn't for a lack of trying on the club's part. Look at Given, for a number of years his name had been tarnished, with some sections of our fanbase seeing him as someone who deserted us in our relegation season.

Moving on I would hope 1%, Would just be the start. We should be aiming to take full control of our club it's a process that would likely take decades, but would be completely worth it and is completely achievable if the fanbase as a whole get behind it. Just think, we'd be the envy of the Premier league. We would increase our supporter base abroad, as we would have a unique "selling point". The only major fan owned club in English football.

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

Even if we  spent most of the time languishing in lower league football, it would be better than what we have now. We would actually be apart of our club. We would have to engage with our club and it would have to engage with us. Doesn't fan ownership mean even more when success does come about? The likes of Manchester United and Liverpool, have been very successful, but how much credit can fans of those clubs really take for that? They have been lucky too have fantastic owners of their club. 

Moving on I would hope 1%, Would just be the start. We should be aiming to take full control of our club it's a process that would likely take decades, but would be completely worth it and is completely achievable if the fanbase as a whole get behind it. Just think, we'd be the envy of the Premier league. We would increase our supporter base abroad, as we would have a unique "selling point". The only major fan owned club in English football.

Even if (and it’s a gigantic if), we were able to obtain £350m to fund the sale of the club. How would we fund it moving forward? If you think it’d become self-sustainable, you’re deluded.

Where would the millions (and millions) of investment needed in the facilities come from? Would we have another 20 year whip round?

What about the initial investment in players that’d be needed? Shall we buy players on tick like Man Utd where they pay a tenner a month?

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

@reefatoonI share your concerns about our fanbase, but onceover, we had a very active, vocal and militant fanbase. I think what changed this is the lack of engagement from the club and the media smearing us as deluded, entitled and a "poisoned chalice". If we felt our voices would be heard I think we could re-ignite that. Even more so if we actually owned the club or at least part of it. I am absolutely positive we would run our club better than Ashley. You think the likes of Wise, Kinnear, Pardew, Bruce would have been our club if we owned it? You think the likes of Keegan and Rafa would have been treat so poorly? You think we'd be happy, with 17th and not giving a fuck about cups? You think the corpse of the  pigeon would still be in the upper netting of the Gallowgate roof after four years? 

There's no guarantee the next bloke to own us, won't be another Ashely. If he is, we need fan representation on the board to keep him/her/them honest. During Ashley's ownership their have been attempts to smear Keegan, Shearer, Given, Rafa, probably more but those are the names of the top of my head. Imagine if those smear attempts had been successful, imagine we fell out of love with Keegan and we had been duped in to thinking Dennis Wise was the saviour of our club. It might have happened and it wasn't for a lack of trying on the club's part. Look at Given, for a number of years his name had been tarnished, with some sections of our fanbase seeing him as someone who deserted us in our relegation season.

You don’t honestly think owning 1% of the football club would secure any of that, do you? 

We might think we can ‘run the club’ better than Ashley. But 1% won’t achieve that. 1% won’t get us any more say than we already do have. None.

If Ashley (or the next owner) wants to run the club like a sack of shit, having Alex with a toenail in the door won’t prevent that.

Best hope would be to find a buyer who can get on board with a fan owned percentage.

Something that gives us some say in our club and not just a token gesture. I'd happily pay into an ongoing fan fund as part of that makeup which could assist in grassroots and infrastructure possibly.

Above is probably what most fans want, but the PL is unfortunately a million miles away from that vision.

Can anyone think of any other thing in life that is proposed and absolutely guaranteed to happen in the future? You’re investing in an idea with risk attached, which isn’t guaranteed to work, just like a thousand other things in life that are ultimately not guaranteed. Honestly it’s boring how much people whinge on the sideline about the “plans” as if they need a cast iron guarantee of X before they can consider it worthwhile. I can only assume that the same people are absolutely delighted with the current stasis because it provides them with the safety of a known quantity to piss and moan about

Edited by alijmitchell

4 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

Anyway, I’m happy to let them take £10 a month from my account that I would otherwise be spending on caviar and copies of the Daily Mail

Fuck that, I want my Daily Mail Caviar 

Guest reefatoon
24 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

Can anyone think of any other thing in life that is proposed and absolutely guaranteed to happen in the future? You’re investing in an idea with risk attached, which isn’t guaranteed to work, just like a thousand other things in life that are ultimately not guaranteed. Honestly it’s boring how much people whinge on the sideline about the “plans” as if they need a cast iron guarantee of X before they can consider it worthwhile. I can only assume that the same people are absolutely delighted with the current stasis because it provides them with the safety of a known quantity to piss and moan about

See, it’s replies like this that don’t help matters. Classed as “whinging” because I want to know more about what they are trying to achieve and to understand the positives of this. I could fully get behind something even if it is a risk, as long as I know and understand what it is trying to achieve, so I can have a reason to back it. But just throwing money at it without having the first clue about the benefits of it and calling people “whingers” for questioning it is fucking stupid, and smacks more of the typical sheep mentality that has blighted our fan base for years now.

At least @Rafalove gave some reasons why he is behind it, which I enjoyed reading and was good to see someone actually saying what it could bring. 

Okay, fine. Perhaps the tone of my posts don't help the discussion. The reasons I am pledging are as follows;

1. I have some hope for a better Newcastle in the future, which I want to bring my son to. I desperately want him to be able to experience the joy of supporting this mad, mad club.

2. In my own life I have spent a lot of time in community organising, and I understand how small actions started now can make a big difference in the future. Okay there are no guarantees but nothing is ever guaranteed.

3. I'd rather this club spent a decade in the bloody northern league with an active and involved fan ownership model than this hollow shell of a club we have now.

4. I don't miss the money each month, as, to me, it's basically the cost of 2 pints.

5. I see how the Hearts foundation have managed to develop here and I see no reason why we cannot do similar. 

6. The aim of 1% ownership is not a fantasy - more like saving to buy your house. You start now, and in future, who knows when the place you want might be up for sale.

7. 1% ownership and a position on the board is by far and away better representation in NUFC related matters than anything we have ever had. 

8. I don't really mind if it fails and my money goes to charity.

Hope that clears some stuff up.

Edited by alijmitchell

52 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

Anyway, I’m happy to let them take £10 a month from my account that I would otherwise be spending on caviar and copies of the Daily Mail

They could have given the option of giving people their money back rather than charity? I know that makes me sound a cunt but I bet there’d have been even more invested if that’d been an option.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

They could have given the option of giving people their money back rather than charity? I know that makes me sound a cunt but I bet there’d have been even more invested if that’d been an option.

Would’ve been a complete nightmare to arrange, I would imagine.

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Maybe that might have been a good option I don't know. I feel like most of the opposition to the scheme comes from an 'it'll never work' argument than a 'will I see my money again' argument, but I could be wrong.

Edited by alijmitchell

12 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

Okay, fine. Perhaps the tone of my posts don't help the discussion. The reasons I am pledging are as follows;

1. I have some hope for a better Newcastle in the future, which I want to bring my son to. I desperately want him to be able to experience the joy of supporting this mad, mad club.

2. In my own life I have spent a lot of time in community organising, and I understand how small actions started now can make a big difference in the future. Okay there are no guarantees but nothing is ever guaranteed.

3. I'd rather this club spent a decade in the bloody northern league with an active and involved fan ownership model than this hollow shell of a club we have now.

4. I don't miss the money each month, as, to me, it's basically the cost of 2 pints.

5. I see how the Hearts foundation have managed to develop here and I see no reason why we cannot do similar. 

6. The aim of 1% ownership is not a fantasy - more like saving to buy your house. You start now, and in future, who knows when the place you want might be up for sale.

7. 1% ownership and a position on the board is by far and away better representation in NUFC related matters than anything we have ever had. 

excellent post

Guest reefatoon
12 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

Thanks for sharing man :thup: