Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

"A Conservative supporter even before December’s election landslide" made me feel sick in the mouth. I thought he was actually alright as he's quite articulate in the wider media when it comes to how shit Bruce is. But how can someone from fucking Blyth or a town like Blyth support the party which has deliberately acted to their detriment for decades? Ugh.

You’re talking about the same man that happily funds Mike Ashley who has deliberately acted to their detriment for over a decade.

It's an insight into the wider match goer. I don't want to turn this into a debate on them as it's fucking boring but the Ashley era for them under Bruce is just another shit period. Many on here don't see the club as NUFC anymore but they still do and this is just another awful era like McKeag and Smith, Ardiles were. Like Richard Dinnis. Et cetera. They don't question why they go because they always have. I've already accepted it tbh and don't bother gathering any energy getting annoyed about it, the bulk of SJP will always be that way and always will be until we drop out of the PL. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Just now, ManDoon said:

There were protests in those eras though and low attendances 

Because we were in the second tier for those eras. Dinnis and 1977-78 is the anomaly as we had runs of 10(?) straight defeats in the league and got relegated. That could probably be likened to now, but top division football in the late 1970s is nowhere near the 'spectacle' for want of a better term than the PL is.

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

That’s fair, but I mean it’s not like we are watching 70s Brazil right now. 

True :lol: but going off the history, our attendances only significantly fall when outside of the top flight. 1977-78 is the only top tier season in which crowds really fell, but it was primarily because we won 5 games out of 42 and sold Macdonald the season prior. The glamorous sham that is the PL has changed even that. We'll consistently see 42,000+ crowds, just like before the free tickets in 19-20 and just like in 10-11 for the reasons I think people still go. Can't be arsed to get annoyed about it and, well, meh. Apathy. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

"Real world" the online farce with True Faith, NUST and the fanbase won't even be recognised. I joined up in the aftermath of the Rafa news, but stopped shortly afterwards. Essentially it was the opportunity of a collective voice at the lack of hope around the club that was the catalyst to joining, but they've probabaly reached that point almost three years later where the hasn't been any changes to the part of the club we all see and that is mainly covered...on the pitch or boardroom as the takeover has shown.

I've read about the community efforts and making suggestion to boost mental health initiatives for fans, promoting the women's team and raising concerns around accessiblity in the stadium which are all great things. Some of the tweets and responses have been abysmal though - a lack of leadership and professionalism (I'm no longer a member so my views don't influence those decisions). I just want to highlight that collective voice because although we all disagree on certain things everyone want's the best for the club - whether that is monetised or not.

I don't know @Heron but fair play stuck to your views and probably saved yourself some time. You've came across really passionate on your posts, went through the process of putting yourself out there to be voted on by others so really just to say don't sweat the small stuff. 

I see a number of journalists have stuck up for NUST today. The problem being they are all ignoring the patently obvious issue at hand. The club is at its most tumultuous point in living memory, a neglected child starved and given to an abusive nanny. If ever there was a time for a unified front of opposition to the current malaise at the club that would be now! But instead fans are getting emails about jigsaws?! I get that there's not much they can do, however they are the voice of the fans and they haven't given the fans a voice. I get they don't want to burn any bridges as the relationship with the club is important to them, but (a) there are ways of showing concern in a dignified and diplomatic manner and (b) if something doesn't change soon there won't be anything left to maintain a line of discourse with.

Just now, Mattoon said:

I see a number of journalists have stuck up for NUST today. The problem being they are all ignoring the patently obvious issue at hand. The club is at its most tumultuous point in living memory, a neglected child starved and given to an abusive nanny. If ever there was a time for a unified front of opposition to the current malaise at the club that would be now! But instead fans are getting emails about jigsaws?! I get that there's not much they can do, however they are the voice of the fans and they haven't given the fans a voice. I get they don't want to burn any bridges as the relationship with the club is important to them, but (a) there are ways of showing concern in a dignified and diplomatic manner and (b) if something doesn't change soon there won't be anything left to maintain a line of discourse with.

Are you surprised? The North East journalists at large are an absolute joke all round. 

Just now, Mattoon said:

The journalists are bound to stick up for them, they’re all in each other’s pockets. No different to Edwards’ defence of Bruce.

7 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The journalists are bound to stick up for them, they’re all in each other’s pockets. No different to Edwards’ defence of Bruce.

There's absolutely no defence for what has happened in the last 24 - 48 hours. 

Is Alex hurst showing he’s totally inadequate to represent the Newcastle supporters?  He’s clearly too happy enjoying the “fame” of representation and the ability to continue to give “his” views on the club to risk upsetting the powers that be at the club that may deny him his “celebrity status”:sadnod:

Or is he endemic of the type of supporters that now frequent St James’?  It’s been suggested the hard core of support  has been replaced with a submissive bunch more interested in the day out rather than the product they are served up. If that’s the case he’s perfectly suited to the role. 

Edited by RS

15 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

There's absolutely no defence for what has happened in the last 24 - 48 hours. 

It’s been horrific, predictably awfully. As soon as Heron posted about him pushing for and actively supporting a boycott then it felt like the shit was hitting the fan. 

The TF/Trust gobshite was always going to show their true colours with any criticism and it’s super ugly, fucking shades of Tory blue.

That response to Heron about the previous boycott summed him up, your efforts and opinions were never accepted at the top table because he didn’t agree. 

Edited by JeffJ

23 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Are you surprised? The North East journalists at large are an absolute joke all round. 

If you think back, the trust have been criticised by their own members for giving the likes of Douglas information before they've released it to the paying membership. It's no surprise he's so happy to defend them. 

21 hours ago, midds said:

Horrific night for the Trust. I think they need to have a massive rethink about who they are, what they stand for and who they represent because there's clearly a huge disconnect between the members and the people who run it. Public reaction tonight suggests the aims of the Trust are a million miles away from the feelings of the fans they claim to represent. Shit or bust time, the elephant in the room is the £200k sitting in an account sourced by the members who seemingly no longer feel the Trust's aims and intentions are aligned with their own. What a fucking mess. 

Very damning when you put it like that

13 hours ago, reefatoon said:

That's why it will never work. There was, is and always will be ego's applying their influence and personal opinion. Alex doesn't like the thought of protesting, so he makes sure that point is put out. That right there is influencing. Seems an awful lot of the fan base are looking for some kind of action even a statement about what is going on, but you get ridiculous stroppy replies like "we can't sack Bruce". Nobody thinks they can, but why can't they come out and state that he is completely out of his depth. they have the power to put pressure on. But the "we" turns to "i" because someone of influence doesn't think it will work and then states they can't sack the manager. This kind of thing will always happen and it will happen if any owner was thick enough to give them 1% of the club. They have already proved they don't listen to public opinion, hastily throwing out a huffy three question survey because of all the shit they are getting is too little too late.  That reply to Holly about her "not being a member, and her opinion is irrelevant" is a fucking disgrace. So Newcastle fans can only be accounted for if they are giving the Trust money? Fuck off. That's why I am actively against the farce that is the pledge. It would be carnage within days.

Yeah, it's the supporters Trust not the members trust. Just one of my many issues. 

11 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Bit of a ramble so bear with me.....

I'm still a member.

I think its important for every club to have a supporters trust. The issues that a trust have dealt with such as disabled access, season ticket prices, health and safety , communication issues, all the 'boring' stuff - this is important. Its important that a fan organisation brings these matters to the attention of the club (regardless of whether any of it is acted upon). I don't think anyone would argue differently.

While I appreciate that the trust has said it is not a protest group, this is somewhat of a cop out. They don't have to issue a press release calling Ashley a cunt, or mention that Bruce has a funny shaped nose. They dont even have to call the PL corrupt or even organise a protest at St James.

But perhaps a more covert approach woud be better. They absolutely could do more.

Theres a huge disconnect at the moment between the supporters and the club, and between the members and the trust. This gap needs closing. It will no doubt be a fine balancing act but the trust should be able to express everyones disatisfaction with the current state of affairs without pissing off members, fans and the club.

The trust should be working hand in hand with its members and the club to make the club the best it can be for its fans. When it isnt, questions should be asked.

As fans we need the trust more than ever - and they need to step up.

Help me love my club again.

Spot on.

11 hours ago, Jamie87 said:

I'm just an ordinary member. Not mates with anyone on the board. I just know what I signed up to. A supporters trust with a democratically elected board, who purpose is to reflect the wishes of its members. If the membership is unhappy with the board and leadership, they will be replaced by the democratic process. I'm not twerking for anyone, but if that thought excites you, bash on. If communicating that Bruce isn't popular isn't enough, then what do you want them to do exactly? And have you joined and voiced this opinion?

A democratically elected board...

Reflect the wishes of it's members... 

Replacing people by democratic process...

Hmmm.

Edited by Heron

6 hours ago, Consortium of one said:

The Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST) seeks to benefit our football club and its supporters by channelling the passion of its loyal supporters into a forward-thinking non-profit organisation that is a legally constituted, democratic, not-for-profit Supporters Trust.

The Trust will act responsibly as a guardian of the future of Newcastle United. If the Trust believes that the Club is being run incompetently and not in the interests of the supporters the Trust will not be afraid to criticise. The Trust however, will not exist just to be critical; the Trust will also be about helping the club, tapping into the skills and expertise of its members and offering solutions.

The Trust is ran by its members. Every member is eligible to stand for election and to vote for candidates for the NUST board which will be accountable to all NUST members. The Trust is legally registered and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Any money raised or shares bought will belong to all members equally. The trust produces independently audited annual accounts and provides regular updates to members through meetings, newsletters, emails and website.

I wish acknowledge that from my view from a distance the Trust has made an effort to improve the match day experience and done outstanding work in the community.  However, I think the Trust would have been better served being more critical where the club has fallen short.

If the club's record regarding communication has been poor (and it has), the Trust should have been more vocal, more often.  That fact does not need to even be opinionated.  Conversations with other trusts can be used to highlight the clubs woeful performance.  If other clubs meet regularly with their Trusts put that info out there highlighting the Club's negligence.  There are ways to criticize with out being overtly critical...state facts [emoji38]

The Trust should consider hosting a public forum for its membership to express their thoughts and ideas. 

If there are protest groups that form the Trust can acknowledge those groups individually (within reason) without publicly endorsing those groups.

The trust can't criticize a duplicitous owner but can publicly attack Holly?  Who knows, she may have been a member at some point (like me).  IMO, a board member should have reached out to her privately.  There is no reason she could not be in the loop as opposed to being shunned.  Her efforts can be acknowledged without her being a representative of the Trust, per se.  You want people like that as a member.  People who will do grass roots work.

I don't know all the politics involved but when a duly elected board member steps down, it's a bad look.  

Spot on.