Stargate: Universe - If you watch it on UK tv, don't read this thread

LiquidAK

Just watched the first 2 episodes of this on Sky One. As a massive Stargate fan since I was little, back in the first days of SG-1, I had high expectations. Have to say, I was pretty blown away. This is still the Stargate that we know and love, but a hell of a lot darker. The first 2 episodes had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish, the premise (for those of you that don't know) is basically that a group of air force personnel and civilians are stranded on an Ancient ship, billions of light-years from home. They have no way of getting back to Earth, or at this time any control over the ships course, they are literally just along for the ride, and with life-support failing.

The characters are great, can't think of one that I found boring. Everyone has their flaws, it's clear they're unprepared for this. You've got Eli, who was literally beamed up out of his home just days before and has no idea how to cope with suddenly being stuck on a ship cut off from home. Dr. Rush (brilliantly played by Robert Carlyle) is enigmatic, it's clear he has an agenda but we have no idea exactly what that is just yet. You've also got someone fresh out of the academy now finding himself second in command, and in charge of the offworld team, a medic who has been forced to take over the responsibilities of the head doctor, and a marine with an anger issue, who was in confinement until the attack on the base forced them to evacuate through the gate.

Special effects were without a doubt the best the franchise has ever seen. Towards the end of 'Atlantis' the SFX got a little poor and you could tell they were working from a smaller budget, but in this new show it has some of the best I've ever seen. The event-horizon on the gate in particular looks so much more clean and real.

Loved seeing some little cameos from Jack, Sam and Daniel (shame Teal'c couldn't make an appearance just to complete the team). They didn't take over or anything, it was very subtle, making it clear that the show is all about the new cast.

Overall I really, really loved this. As a Gate fan I know I'm biased, but it really was great. Much more movie-like than any Stargate in the past (other than the original film of course). Can't wait to find out what Rush is up to, and what they find on the first planet now they've headed through the gate.

Well I've gone on enough about this. :lol: Anyone else watch? What did you think?

tl;dr: Show is good. What think?

I was absolutely riveted by AK's review of the latest Stargate spin-off shit-a-thon. Initially, I was rather underwhelmed, and his piece started off in rather lacklustre fashion--retreading familiar ground--until two paragraphs in when the action really hotted up. His enthusiasm practically jumps off the screen and into your eyeballs, leaving you breathless with admiration. This is really the fulfilment of all the promise LiquidAK has up to now only shown in fleeting glimpses. I can only hope there's more where this came from.

Kudos, young man, and well earnt.

I was absolutely riveted by AK's review of the latest Stargate spin-off shit-a-thon. Initially, I was rather underwhelmed, and his piece started off in rather lacklustre fashion--retreading familiar ground--until two paragraphs in when the action really hotted up. His enthusiasm almost literally jumps off the screen and into your eyeballs, leaving you breathless with admiration. This is really the fulfilment of all the promise LiquidAK has up to now only shown in fleeting glimpses. I can only hope there's more where this came from.

Kudos, young man, and well earnt.

:spit:

Can't say it was the reply I was expecting, but thanks I guess. :lol:

Is that your reaction to the show? Stunned with it's brilliance I see. :pow:

EDIT: OK you removed your post. Damn you BarackObama!

thats sad dak,making out others joined your nerdy thread.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/solrhn/Humor/PicardFuckYou.jpg

:snod:

Why do people keep deleting their posts? I don't understand this! :frantic:

cos it would have been funny if ,after someone elsse had deleted a post on you then i'd done it aswell. my timing was only very slightly off which wasn't bad when done deliberatly.

Guest Roger Kint

I watched it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Nice twist on the other 2 series in the character flaws and that noone stands out as a main character as of yet(although RC clearly has a lot to be revealed) cant wait to see the next episode.

They've obviously been watching the new incarnation of Battlestar Galactica - most of the characters have clear flaws and clearly aren't the best of the best hand picked for their mission.  I was almost expecting to see a cigar-smoking female pilot start a fight with the embittered alcoholic first officer in the background of a couple of the scenes.

Whilst I'm glad that producers have finally realised that not all sci-fi shows need to be all nice and family friendly, this does seem to be a bit of a cross between Star Trek: Voyager and Battlestar Galactica.

They've obviously been watching the new incarnation of Battlestar Galactica - most of the characters have clear flaws and clearly aren't the best of the best hand picked for their mission.  I was almost expecting to see a cigar-smoking female pilot start a fight with the embittered alcoholic first officer in the background of a couple of the scenes.

Whilst I'm glad that producers have finally realised that not all sci-fi shows need to be all nice and family friendly, this does seem to be a bit of a cross between Star Trek: Voyager and Battlestar Galactica.

I think it's a pretty good cross though, Voyager was way too optimistic about the whole lost, far from home thing, whilst BSG was the most nihilistic show I've ever seen. Think this is a good mixture.

I caught it at the weekend and perhaps because I had such low expectations after Atlantis I was rather impressed. The new flawed characters are more real and believable than the likes of Dr McKay who seemed to be able to plug a windows laptop into anything and write a hotfix. Carlyle is superb as Dr Rush in a role that I thought could be a bit of a gamble. The key guy on the show not being the obvious good guy from the bunch makes a change from previous entries in the series. They need to kick on and build on the idea of survival now and not revert back to retelling the same stories they did on SG-1 as Atlantis eventually resorted to after a positive start.

It must be noted as well that the first two parts of 'Air' won't represent a weekly episode. As mentioned this is almost a feature film effort to get the ball rolling. Hopefully the third part will give a better insight into what the show will be like on a weekly basis.

watched the first 2 last night and thought it was awesome

I've enjoyed the previous SG series although i did miss the last 2 series of atlantis.

Robert Carlyle's character is clearly a man who is out for himself and the othrs all seem to know it and hate him. and he plays the part really well

look forward to see'ing more of this and see'ing what kind of things they run into on planets around the universe as opposed to just in our galaxy or the pegasus galaxy

I'm watching this and its mint. Really I don't care if the show is crap, the whole stargate set up its mint. This is a nice new approach, compared to the old, vista place A, meet people B, kill people C who are attacking people B, win.

The comparison to BSG, is spot on, its a pretty similar concept, minus the fact they aren't being chased by a load of Toasters. Its going to be interesting as to what new people and races they come across in this series.

Also, they should make that game he was playing at the start, looks leet.

Loved it, like I've loved all the Stargate series and I honestly can't wait for the next episode. I do have one question however, when the Earth ship(the hammond) was attacked why did it not have beam tech like all the others? This can't pre date the whole ori story line either because in the last episode of Atlantis this particular ship was referenced as being brand new.

Loved it, like I've loved all the Stargate series and I honestly can't wait for the next episode. I do have one question however, when the Earth ship(the hammond) was attacked why did it not have beam tech like all the others? This can't pre date the whole ori story line either because in the last episode of Atlantis this particular ship was referenced as being brand new.

It does have beam tech and as mentioned by Sam the Icarus base has some form of beam shielding

It does, when Carter talks to O'Neil, she says they beamed everyone up from the surface, but the base shielding technology, blocks them beaming people out, though you would of though the would of turned it off to escape.

It does have beam tech and as mentioned by Sam the Icarus base has some form of beam shielding

Sorry, I didn't mean the beam tech as in transport beam, when I meant beam tech I meant the beam weapons the other earth ships have towards the end of SG1 (last ep and movies) and Atlantis. My fault for not wording it better.

Ah, I'm sure they do, but from Atlantis I remember they needed the code or something to get through the shields, so I'm guessing they aren't able to breach the shields of who ever it was attacking them.

Ah, I'm sure they do, but from Atlantis I remember they needed the code or something to get through the shields, so I'm guessing they aren't able to breach the shields of who ever it was attacking them.

That was to beam bombs onto the wraith ships, but the oydessy and (forgot the other one now) had the asgard beam weapons that could destroy ships in like 2 or 3 blasts. If anyones watched the last ever episode of SG1 where the asgard install all their technology on the earth ship, they then get deteted by 3 ori ships, they destroy one of them before entering hyperspace, its those weapons I'm refering to.

I suppose if the Hammond had such weapons there would be no point in running away or ever going through the stargate..

Like the potential for the darker themes, however lets hope its not ruined by Sky chopping bits out so they can continue to show this at 8pm before the watershed.

Scene where the Lt Scott was getting it on with the female sgt as the hammond arrived at the planet, clearly showing that these two characters have "history" cut out completely

Like the potential for the darker themes, however lets hope its not ruined by Sky chopping bits out so they can continue to show this at 8pm before the watershed.

Scene where the Lt Scott was getting it on with the female sgt as the hammond arrived at the planet, clearly showing that these two characters have "history" cut out completely

Watch it on Sky 2 on Wednesday's at 9. After the watershed, so hopefully they'll keep it all in.