Posties to strike.

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

Royal Mail postal workers have voted to take strike action over job security and working conditions.

Postal workers voted three to one in favour of action, with 61,623 out of a total of 80,830 workers who voted saying they wanted to strike.

The company and unions have been unable to resolve differences on how best to modernise the postal service.

Royal Mail says it needs to make big changes to combat a fall in the number of letter and parcel deliveries.

Dave Ward, deputy general secretary of the Communication Workers Union (CWU), said his union would work hard to avoid a strike. He said it would give the Royal Mail a "final opportunity" to resolve the dispute.

He said there would be a minimum of 10 days before any strike would take place.

He added that union members had delivered a "damning verdict on the way the Royal Mail is run. We understand the need for modernisation, but it needs to be done in a way that protects workers".

Does postal delivery class as skilled work?

Seems strange that there are still people willing to strike when there are millions out of work.

Depends, if you're striking over job security issues, such as changes in contract meaning you could be laid off much quicker and cheaper, then you may be willing to strike over it out of a fear that the changes would lead to you being got rid of hastily further down the line and out of work in a difficult jobs market.

Seems strange that there are still people willing to strike when there are millions out of work.

Depends, if you're striking over job security issues, such as changes in contract meaning you could be laid off much quicker and cheaper, then you may be willing to strike over it out of a fear that the changes would lead to you being got rid of hastily further down the line and out of work in a difficult jobs market.

:thup:

I'm not saying they're wrong (I don't even know what they're objecting to), I just tend not to sympathise with people going on strike for some reason. :dontknow:

Guest Roger Kint

Elastic band leaving surrender monkeys!

They seem to strike yearly and each time the 'service' gets worse as a result

Guest toonlass

On the radio news the woman reading said "Although there have been recent regional strikes this is the first national strike in two years!"

Fucking hell, two years, well done chaps.

Strikes are important for the fabric of a society.

Would you rather a public service employed a million people and made no money, or employed 100,000 people and made some money? (You need to make a bit of money to ensure you can invest in better service, i dont mean 'profit' per se though).

The fiscal and social cost calculations tend to suggest the former is better in the long run.

Would you rather a public service employed a million people and made no money, or employed 100,000 people and made some money? (You need to make a bit of money to ensure you can invest in better service, i dont mean 'profit' per se though).

The fiscal and social cost calculations tend to suggest the former is better in the long run.

You would say that, you live in France. It's all they bloody do there.

I thought there had been regional strikes. Bastards. I no longer trust the Royal Mail. I have had to make two claims (successfully) against them for loss of money and goods.  There were sent Recorded Delivery and in both cases I was told they could not be traced.  This means, as far as I am concerned, the last fucker to handle them,  stole them.

There's no skill involved in the post now. They claim its all automated.  I have no sympathy for them,

My sympathey for them is running low now.

Striking only works as long as people feel they are indisposable, and the more they dick around the less secure they are. Amazon has already drawn up contingency plans for this strike and may shift their whole custom to another carrier. If they're not careful, sod payrises, they won't have a company to work for.

Guest toonlass

It was only yesterday that they were having a discussion on Radio 5 Live about posties who had been putting those "sorry you are out" cards through doors of people who were in, and when challenged by the house owners the posties had admitted that they didn't even have the parcels on them. Quite a few people phoned in to say that they had experienced this.

Guest Roger Kint

It was only yesterday that they were having a discussion on Radio 5 Live about posties who had been putting those "sorry you are out" cards through doors of people who were in, and when challenged by the house owners the posties had admitted that they didn't even have the parcels on them. Quite a few people phoned in to say that they had experienced this.

My mate actually does my post so he texts to say he has a parcel and will drop it off later in the day as he does a double shift every day to cover for others. The postie who does my parents house actually parks in front of their house and has never tried to knock even though one day my dad had to make him move his car to get out to go to work.  :angry:

They never fucking knock with a parcel now. I thought the idea of someone sending something in the post is that it arrives at your house, not at some fucking building in the middle of nowhere that you have to collect it from.

Their Post office is fucking great though, as are the rest of their public services.

Guest toonlass

Their Post office is fucking great though, as are the rest of their public services.

How are they great? Do they actually get letters to you on time?

the postal workers need to drag themselves out of the 70s

They can't, they're all Polish and therefore permanently trapped in the 70s.

They can't, they're all Polish and therefore permanently trapped in the 70s.

Flare comment.