Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize.

TêteDeMaure

Looking at the other nominations I think Zimbawe's prime minister's probably made a few more sacrifices in the name of peace, seeing as every time he suggests that Robert Mugabe might be a little naughty he gets thrown in jail and beaten with machetes.

I'd have given it to Betancourt.

He's not been in office 10 months ffs, how do they know he's done anything that will last? What has he actually done?

'His extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples'. Being the reason he's won it.

Is he the first man to have commited war crimes to win it then?

In terms of war crimes...do you just mean being in Afghan or is there something more specific? Excuse my ignorance.

I might have been rash, but the best thing you can say about him is he's done little to rectify the war crimes of his predecessor...

If an historian were to write about the events of the first nine months of 2009 when it came to transparency issues as they relate to the war crimes of the Bush years, the following is what would be written.  Just remember this was all done with an overwhelming Democratic majority in both houses of Congress and a Democratic President elected on a promise to usher in "an unprecedented level of openness in Government" and "a new era of openness in our country."  There's no blaming Republicans for any of this:

In February, the Obama DOJ went to court to block victims of rendition and torture from having a day in court, adopting in full the Bush argument that whatever was done to the victims is a "state secret" and national security would be harmed if the case proceeded.  The following week, the Obama DOJ invoked the same "secrecy" argument to insist that victims of illegal warrantless eavesdropping must be barred from a day in court, and when the Obama administration lost that argument, they engaged in a series of extraordinary manuevers to avoid complying with the court's order that the case proceed, to the point where the GOP-appointed federal judge threatened the Government with sanctions for noncompliance.  Two weeks later, "the Obama administration, siding with former President George W. Bush, [tried] to kill a lawsuit that seeks to recover what could be millions of missing White House e-mails."

In April, the Obama DOJ, in order to demand dismissal of a lawsuit brought against Bush officials for illegal spying on Americans, not only invoked the Bush/Cheney "state secrets" theory, but also invented a brand new "sovereign immunity" claim to insist Bush officials are immune from consequences for illegal domestic spying.  The same month -- in the case brought by torture victims -- an appeals court ruled against the Obama DOJ on its "secrecy" claims, yet the administration vowed to keep appealing to prevent any judicial review of the interrogation program.  In responses to these abuses, a handful of Democratic legislators re-introduced Bush-era legislation to restrict the President from asserting "state secrets" claims to dismiss lawsuits, but it stalled in Congress all year.  At the end of April and then again in August, the administration did respond to a FOIA lawsuit seeking the release of torture documents by releasing some of those documents, emphasizing that they had no choice in light of clear legal requirements.

In May, after the British High Court ruled that a torture victim had the right to obtain evidence in the possession of British intelligence agencies documeting the CIA's abuse of him, the Obama administration threatened that it would cut off intelligence-sharing with Britain if the court revealed those facts, causing the court to conceal them.  Also in May, Obama announced he had changed his mind and would fight-- rather than comply with -- two separate, unanimous court orders compelling the disclosure of Bush-era torture photos, and weeks later, vowed he would do anything (including issue an Executive Order or support a new FISA exemption) to prevent disclosure of those photos in the event he lost yet again, this time in the Supreme Court. 

In June, the administration "objected to the release of certain Bush-era documents that detail the videotaped interrogations of CIA detainees at secret prisons, arguing to a federal judge that doing so would endanger national security." 

In August, Obama Attorney General Eric Holder announced that while some rogue torturers may be subject to prosecution, any Bush officials who relied on Bush DOJ torture memos in "good faith" will "be protected from legal jeopardy."  And all year long, the Obama DOJ fought (unsuccessfully) to keep encaged at Guantanamo a man whom Bush officials had tortured while knowing he was innocent.

source

I'm in for it next year, i don't like nuclear stuff that much, and the killer is, i want to achieve world peace.

''Mr Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics.'' Seriously, has he? What has changed so drastically that it seems everybody is missing?

Reading that the impression I get is that he's covering up the 'mistakes' of the past, which isn't exactly the same thing. I don't see how the conflict in Afghan ties up with the Nobel Peace Prize though, seems a strange one. I'm dubious of the amount of thought that went into this award.

I'm in for it next year, i don't like nuclear stuff that much, and the killer is, i want to achieve world peace.

''Mr Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics.'' Seriously, has he? What has changed so drastically that it seems everybody is missing?

I'm incredulous.

It's like giving Ronald McDonald the Nobel Prize for world health cos Maccy D's added a salad to their menu.

Though that could be construed as an effective change,  Obama's done nothing that drastic.

I'm incredulous.

It's like giving Ronald McDonald the Nobel Prize for world health cos Maccy D's added a salad to their menu.

Though that could be construed as an effective change,  Obama's done nothing that drastic.

When you think about it though, it's the Norwegians who decides who wins this one, unlike the rest of the Nobel prices. I personally blame Kaizero for this.

I'm incredulous.

When you think about it though, it's the Norwegians who decides who wins this one, unlike the rest of the Nobel prices. I personally blame Kaizero for this.

Them Whale murderers decide on this?

I'm incredulous.

Them Whale murderers decide on this?

Aye, we've got nowt to do with this.

'His extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples'. Being the reason he's won it.

Sounds like they're rewarding his willingness to talk with Iran, rather than bonb the shit out of them without cause.

Bush dropped the bar THAT low?

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2009/press.html