Can someone explain this?

Haz

The head lad of the Pakistani Taliban/ Al Quaeda (the one the Pakistani military asserted they had killed) has just 'dangled a carrot' to the Pakistanis.

Stop taking orders from America, he says, institute a full Islamic state and we will stop fighting you.  We will go and fight the Indians.

Is it just me or is this not a decent summation of the folly of that area? What I don't get is that even if Afghanistan  has any 'yearning' for democracy, they still want to be an Islamic Republic?  IS Pakistan not already an Islamic republic?  Surely 'training camps' can spring up anywhere - if not here then elsewhere, only more dissipated and harder to locate?

Are we not really pissing into the wind here?  Do our soldiers have to die in shitholistan for no good reason? If Americans are arresting muslim terrorists, caught in the act of preparation,  at this present time, does this not make a mockery of keeping the streets safe? 

WHy the fuck are we there?

I also agree with that.  Americans, for one, would consider retreat a total defeat and an victory for the Taliban.  But I still don't see what we are trying to achieve there?

Our forces of course would not retreat; they would withdraw the area. :)

Afghanistan - Oil pipeline

Iraq - Oil (and water for Israel)

Perhaps. But how would this explain our fighting in the Helmland province where pipelines would not go?  Mind you what I know about the geography of that shithole could be written on a stamp.

I agree about Iraq.

Afghanistan - Oil pipeline

Iraq - Oil (and water for Israel)

Perhaps. But how would this explain our fighting in the Helmland province where pipelines would not go?  Mind you what I know about the geography of that shithole could be written on a stamp.

I agree about Iraq.

We're basically there to appease the Americans and 'show' support.

IMO we should get the hell out of Afghanistan and Iraq and invade Pakistan (border areas) where most of the money and trouble starts.

I think invading Pakistan is an absolutely horrific idea, that would lead to chaos and war in that entire region of the world.

I still this this entire idea of democratizing these nations is completely ludicrous notion, that has absolutely nothing to do with "terrorism" in any way, shape or form.

Also, the US has tried to turn this conflict into a conventional war, in which they have fought against nations. Terror will not be stopped or appeased by the invasion of sovereign nations. This is a different, more modern type of war which is being fought against seperate entities which are not bound by any preconceived national boundaries. Consider that the US were fighting the same enemy in the 90's, by bombing Sudan.

I think invading Pakistan is an absolutely horrific idea, that would lead to chaos and war in that entire region of the world.

I still this this entire idea of democratizing these nations is completely ludicrous notion, that has absolutely nothing to do with "terrorism" in any way, shape or form.

Also, the US has tried to turn this conflict into a conventional war, in which they have fought against nations. Terror will not be stopped or appeased by the invasion of sovereign nations. This is a different, more modern type of war which is being fought against seperate entities which are not bound by any preconceived national boundaries. Consider that the US were fighting the same enemy in the 90's, by bombing Sudan.

Agreed.

But the border areas is where they are.

Apparently they have a a territorial contingent of a sort.  170 of them wandered into Switzerland by mistake and they were arrested by the Swiss Army border patrol who had weapons but no ammunition.

Its like Monty Python.

i put it all down to the name islamabad. if you call someone an animal and treat them like one they'll behave like one. putting 'bad' on the end of places just encourages them to beahve that way. therefore i suggest changing the place name to islamagood,islamanice or my own favourite, islamaquaint.