4-2-3-1

James

The way forward in my opinion is a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Towards the end of the game, we were playing 3-2-4-1 from the sounds of things, and it allowed us to attack through the middle of the pitch with some impetus. We had Sibierski up on his own facing the goal, while Dyer, Milner, and N'Zogbia were running forward to join him, and Emre was making some good passes from high up the field, while Solano was passing well from deep. The result was that Man City had little time on the ball, and we were able to get the ball back quickly (usually via Parker), who would then get the ball to one of our attacking midfielders. 3-2-4-1 wont work over 90 minutes, but in my opinion, we can offer something similar in terms of directness and ability to attack the goal without compromising the team defensively.

I would adopt the following team:

Given

Taylor Moore Bramble Ramage

Butt Parker

Dyer Emre Milner

Martins

The three attacking midfielders would adopt a central position most of the time. Emre would not run forward often, but I anticipate that he would have a lot of space to pass the ball around and to unleash the attacks. Dyer and Milner would both look to get alongside and support Martins. Butt and Parker should be able to sweep up many of the loose balls that you would anticipate from a pressurised opposition defense, while both would go wide when the opposition try to go down the wings, with Emre covering their position.

The defence would be encouraged to lamp the ball up to the opposition penalty box to really put the oppositioon under pressure, with a high probability that one of the midfield five would collect the second ball. The defense would need to be our tallest and most physical, as I would expect them to have to deal with a lot of long balls themselves, and the system doesn't require attacking work from full backs.

This team wouldn't beat the big four, and will probably only score a quarter of the chances we create (although I anticipate that we would create many more chances), but right now, we need worry about scoring against the worser teams, when we are not scoring at all.

Not sure it would work because Emre would always fall back, Martins cant play up front on his own. 4-4-2 i believe is the best formation. Create a bit of width and if the wingers cross in quality balls we will score.

We still need more attacking players, Someone like Ashton who can hold the ball up and work the defence.

Not sure it would work because Emre would always fall back, Martins cant play up front on his own. 4-4-2 i believe is the best formation. Create a bit of width and if the wingers cross in quality balls we will score.

We still need more attacking players, Someone like Ashton who can hold the ball up and work the defence.

Wingers to cross for which brilliant cross receiver?

Martins would not be on his own because the impetus is for Dyer and Milner to be right next to him. Martins would just need to get into the six yard box to finish off the carnage I would anticipate Dyer and Milner causing.

Why would Emre fall back, he certainly didn't when he was a support striker in several matches last season.

Given

Taylor Moore Ramage Babayaro

Parker Dyer N'zogbia

Emre

Sibierski Martins

For me for the next game.

Yea but theres no width, Against Arsenal we perhaps should play a 4-5-1 and try to hit them on the counter.

Whats the point in playing with width when he have no good consistant crossers of the ball and no one to get on the end of them?

Given

Taylor Moore Ramage Babayaro

Parker Dyer N'zogbia

Emre

Sibierski Martins

For me for the next game.

Yea but theres no width, Against Arsenal we perhaps should play a 4-5-1 and try to hit them on the counter.

What is your obssession with width all about? Can you not see that there is no point playing with width if we have no strikers or midfielders capable of receiving the ball from a cross and putting it in the back of the net?

Martins up top on his own, class idea that.

Nothing wrong with that if the team is sorted out well tactically. Dyer and Milner would help him out at leading the line, while Martins would be instructed to not turn his back on goal. Dyer and Milner would get in front of him, and try to drag the ball back.