The Box

Astroblack

Hey, Guys, there's a new movie coming out called "The Box". Its got Cameron Diaz and James Marsdon. The plot goes something like this, they receive a mysterious box with a button inside and some guy tells them if they press the button, they get a million dollars, but someone who they don't know somewhere in the world dies. It looks pretty okay. If you can't wait to see it, check out the Twilight Zone episode that its based on called "Button, Button", its on youtube or check out another short film called "Black Button", which is also pretty good.

Anyway, I got to thinking, would you press the button?

Hey, Guys, there's a new movie coming out called "The Box". Its got Cameron Diaz and James Marsdon. The plot goes something like this, they receive a mysterious box with a button inside and some guy tells them if they press the button, they get a million dollars, but someone who they don't know somewhere in the world dies. It looks pretty okay. If you can't wait to see it, check out the Twilight Zone episode that its based on called "Button, Button", its on youtube or check out another short film called "Black Button", which is also pretty good.

It depends who was going to die.

Ain't the point that it's random?  dunno.

Ain't the point that it's random?  dunno.

Not sure. The thing is in the world there's probably quite a high percentage of people either likely to die or about to die. Then there's spontaneous deaths like people being ran over and murdered, etc, etc. Then you risk all your families and friends lives though...and I wouldn't kill any of them for £1million. So probably no, all in all.

Easily, Id press it a million times

Appalling.  What if you got to know who it was retrospectively?  Like if you pressed the button and got to see the consequences.  "You just made some poor fucker an orphan Decky".

In all seriousness, I think it's a bloody interesting hypothetical question, even if Cameron Diaz doesn't fill me with confidence about what the film will be like.

Guest Heneage

I would press it once and give the money to my parents to give them a comfortable life. My family's needs come first over all.

I would press it once and give the money to my parents to give them a comfortable life. My family's needs come first over all.

Even though youd be ruining another family ?

:lol: Like there's such a thing as a leading philosopher.

well i'm not goin gto win this years funniest poster so i was gonna go for that.

There some stiff competition.

for leading philosopher or not to win the funniest poster ?

Guest Heneage

You are assuming I'm killing someone with a family, for all we know I could be killing a homeless man with poor quality of life. I will rule out neither and acknowledge I could be killing a good man/woman, but my family come first.

You are assuming I'm killing someone with a family, for all we know I could be killing a homeless man with poor quality of life. I will rule out neither and acknowledge I could be killing a good man/woman, but my family come first.

the only way you'd do that is if it were a life for life situation. this isn't and you wouldn't.

Guest Heneage

Right now a million dollars would give my mum the best possible care, and take a lot of pressure off my Dad. I think the fact you don't have to murder the person changes it slightly. I see it slightly as a mutation of killing for your family. I just weigh the benefits against the drawbacks and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Bear in mind I don't intend to go out on a killing spree to earn money.  :lol:

Right now a million dollars would give my mum the best possible care, and take a lot of pressure off my Dad. I think the fact you don't have to murder the person changes it slightly. I see it slightly as an mutation of killing for your family. I just weigh the benefits against the drawbacks and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

even when my mam had cancer i wouldn't have been able to look at the scenario as "hey she may have a better chance but in order to do that that mother of 4 must die at my instigation"

you evil fuck dude.

Right now a million dollars would give my mum the best possible care, and take a lot of pressure off my Dad. I think the fact you don't have to murder the person changes it slightly. I see it slightly as an mutation of killing for your family. I just weigh the benefits against the drawbacks and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

How ? You are still pressign a button to kill someone to get money. what's the differance between pressing a button on a detanotor to blow someone up that pressing a button on a box to kill someone. I don't think i would be able to enjoy the money knowing where it came from.