The forgotten story of ... Danish Dynamite (One for Nixon)

Tooj

Guest toonlass

NB: This is a feature-length piece, so you might want to print it off and read it on the way home. Not if you're driving, obviously. guardian.co.uk is not legally responsible for any bumpers damaged in the reading of this article

:mackems:

Guest Heneage

Tak Tooj.

I hope the newest Laudrup on the scene proves to be half as good as his father, alas I fear it will not happen.

That article brought back a few memories.

It's interesting that the Soviet Union team of that era got a mention. In the 1986 World Cup knock-out stage, the Soviets had a game against Belgium, and in the first half they gave just about the most exhilarating display of high-tempo football that I've seen. They went in 2-0 up, but eventually lost 4-3. Perhaps their particular brand of attacking play wasn't sustainable in the Mexico heat over 90 minutes, but it was fantastic while it lasted. Does anyone else remember that game?

It's interesting that the Soviet Union team of that era got a mention. In the 1986 World Cup knock-out stage, the Soviets had a game against Belgium, and in the first half they gave just about the most exhilarating display of high-tempo football that I've seen. They went in 2-0 up, but eventually lost 4-3. Perhaps their particular brand of attacking play wasn't sustainable in the Mexico heat over 90 minutes, but it was fantastic while it lasted. Does anyone else remember that game?

I remember Belanov's goal from that game. Such a stunner!

Also, regarding the game on itself... memory is very fuzzy but I remember it being a pretty exhilarating game on both sides, not only the USSR. How has Belgium become so crap in a few generations...

Also, regarding the game on itself... memory is very fuzzy but I remember it being a pretty exhilarating game on both sides, not only the USSR. How has Belgium become so crap in a few generations...

I've just watched the goals again. The Soviets were only 1-0 up at half-time - the vagaries of memory. Their defending for all four goals was terrible. As with the Danes, this was their Achilles heel.

To tell the truth, I don't remember much apart from that first half. The Soviets absolutely tore into the Belgians and you thought, if they can keep this up, they'll win the tournament. They couldn't.

I've just watched the goals again. The Soviets were only 1-0 up at half-time - the vagaries of memory. Their defending for all four goals was terrible. As with the Danes, this was their Achilles heel.

To tell the truth, I don't remember much apart from that first half. The Soviets absolutely tore into the Belgians and you thought, if they can keep this up, they'll win the tournament. They couldn't.

Scifo was superb in that game as I recall.