Lisbon Treaty.

Parky

Europe.  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Europe.

• Want to be part of a Federal Europe.
    • No thanks.
    • Keep things as they are and the pound.
    • Come out completely.
    • Takeover end of next week.

Do we want to be part of a Federal Europe? Interestingly the Tories are offering a referendum on it, which way would you vote?

are they ? when did that happen ? i was out last night if it was on the news.

If they win the election they will offer a referendum before full ratification apparently.

Do we want to be part of a Federal Europe? Interestingly the Tories are offering a referendum on it, which way would you vote?

are they ? when did that happen ? i was out last night if it was on the news.

If they win the election they will offer a referendum before full ratification apparently.

not so sure about that. didn't dave say that they "wouldn't let it rest" if it hadn't been ratified by everyone else. when pressed on it,as usual, he wouldn't actually guve a clear answer.

Some guff about the treaty:

"The second reason is Lisbon's constitutional revolution. Lisbon would re-found the European Union on a new constitutional basis by abolishing the European Community which at present makes European laws, transferring the Community's powers and institutions to the legally new Union that Lisbon would establish, and then giving this new Union its own legal personality so that it can act separately from and superior to its member states for the first time." Irish Times

i'm broadly in favour of the EU but it has to be more democratic and transparent.

Apparatchiks will be there dreaming up new laws/rules and they will be passed on mass by the big four block vote (under the new proposed rules)...Fuck that.

i'm broadly in favour of the EU but it has to be more democratic and transparent.

Basically this. I like the idea of a closer knit european community in principle but even following it to some extent I find it very hard to understand what all the implications of the EU are in its present state. It will happen eventually in some form though.

I can see the benefits of a united europe but i can also see the problems that come with it.

So many differnt cultures and traditions being pulled together really quickly, needs more time in my opinion.

And, Norway seems to do ok on its own.

i've no problem about differing cultures etc as regionalism seems better thought of at EU level than state level.

norway and switzerland have bothbeen bullied by the EU on certain domestic issues.

Who was it on here who said they would be happy that Tony Blair could be the first E.U President?

You might be confusing a statement I made to you about him potentially becoming the first EU pres.

Next will be harmonisation of tax and then employment law. Our competitive edge down the drain basically.

good. our competitiveness at the minute is based around the taxpayer handing out grants and workers being easier to sack than our competitors.

Next will be harmonisation of tax and then employment law. Our competitive edge down the drain basically.

good. our competitiveness at the minute is based around the taxpayer handing out grants and workers being easier to sack than our competitors.

Most of German and French big industry is susidised by the state in various ways. It's not good making workers almost impossible to sack as it is here and paying them to sit around 80% of their former wages. It is why Germany is essentially fucked.

Most of German and French big industry is susidised by the state in various ways. It's not good making workers almost impossible to sack as it is here and paying them to sit around 80% of their former wages. It is why Germany is essentially f***ed.

and it's not good that we have 0hr contracts and minimum rights.

Who was it on here who said they would be happy that Tony Blair could be the first E.U President?

You might be confusing a statement I made to you about him potentially becoming the first EU pres.

Possibly aye.

Sorry if I took it the wrong way.

Say if we do become the E.U in the next couple of years, what do we do with Knackers like berlusconi

Most of German and French big industry is susidised by the state in various ways. It's not good making workers almost impossible to sack as it is here and paying them to sit around 80% of their former wages. It is why Germany is essentially f***ed.

Rights have to be earnt.

But we are getting away from the core issue, that this treaty will essentially make the EU undemocratic and Federal in a bad way.

Rights have to be earnt.

But we are getting away from the core issue, that this treaty will essentially make the EU undemocratic and Federal in a bad way.

In what way? From my limited understanding of it is the plan to centralise the government and basically try to cut costs?