Carpentry

Dokko

Is this anyone's profession?

Just looking for a few tips.

For tidiness and space saving reasons i want to build a computer desk in to an alcove, typical type of alcove you will find created by a chimney breast in a living room.

I basically want the desk top to be almost floating (hidden supports) into the walls, it could have them coming out (was thinking like a shelving unit only stronger) but would like to keep it minimal.

The size is 45cm deep and about 115cm wide, though i'm finding it hard to measure so its probably more like 1155mm. Would it be wise just to buy 116cm wood and sand to fit?

One problem is that the chimney has this weird fake brick shite on it, i want rid of it but to take it off and replaster the whole breast is a little too much work and pennies right now. Would this shite take a drill right through till i get to the actual brick or will it have a high chance of disintegrating and if so would it be wise to use the other two solid walls as support only and possibly create a leg or set of legs to the floor?

The other thing that i want to do was build a small type of cage to put the base unit in (like you see on normal computer desks) but without the big panel so it can be easily accessed and improve cooling.

Basically is this something i should attempt myself, or should i get someone in to do it, if so how much would i be looking at for the labour if i supplied the materials?

Cheers.

fucking hell it sounds like a reet contraption.

:(

It would be basically a build in computer desk (with the desk like a big shelf) flush in neatly saving a bit of space and making it look a lot better than this thing i've got now.

fucking hell it sounds like a reet contraption.

:(

It would be basically a build in computer desk (with the desk like a big shelf) flush in neatly saving a bit of space and making it look a lot better than this thing i've got now.

sounds similar to what i have planned, gonna rip out my heating cupboard, and put a couple shelves in for the pc.

The size is 45cm deep and about 115cm wide, though i'm finding it hard to measure so its probably more like 1155mm. Would it be wise just to buy 116cm wood and sand to fit?

You can't just buy a bit of wood to the size you want, you'll have to buy a bigger piece and cut it down. Some DIY shops like Wickes have a cutting service, but only when you're buying a whole sheet so that's not much good to you probably.

Would this shite take a drill right through till i get to the actual brick or will it have a high chance of disintegrating..

No way of knowing without looking at it, but it's not designed to support anything it's generally just a facing. Do you know what's behind it, brick and plaster?

and if so would it be wise to use the other two solid walls as support only and possibly create a leg or set of legs to the floor?

It would be wise to use the two solid walls at either end as support in addition to some central fixings.

Basically is this something i should attempt myself,

Ever tried anything like it before?

From what you describe I'd be tempted to get a grinding wheel (hire one) and cut a section of the fake brick away just wide enough to fit your supports into and then hopefully hide what you've done with whatever form of shelf/desk you're putting up. However shelves are not generally designed to take much weight, at least not like the one you are describing. Two legs would remove that problem. As to building a cage (open-sided cupboard?) it's straightforward enough but the quality of finish may leave something to be desired - what would you face it with to look neat and have it matching your shelf/desk for instance. I'd need to see the job before I could say anything else, picture?

Wood: Ok, i've seen the kind of shelf i want at B&Q and its 120cm long, not sure about the depth though.

Wall: Behind the wall is bricks and cement. (we've just had the fire out)

Table: It would only be supporting the weight of a keyboard, mouse, two small speakers and general lean on weight from myself.

Experience: Nill, zilch, nadda.  :blush:

Like the idea of cutting in to the brick, ideally i'd have the lot off, but seems a big expensive job.

The cage for the computer is literally just like ones of most computer desks only requiring the base to put the computer unit on, then a divider of some sort to stop it being kicked etc...

If you've got transport pop over to Ikea and check the bargain corner (just to the right of the exit tills), all sorts of useful stuff in there sometimes and often it really is a bargain. I saw two shelves there on sunday that might suit your needs for £6.50 each.