Daily Mail = "Sh*t newspaper"...Stephane Guivarc'h

Optimistic Nut

Fantastic interview on a French website with him in response to him being named the worst striker in Premiership history by the Daily Mail. :lol:

http://www.letelegramme.com/sports/football/foot-elu-pire-attaquant-de-l-histoire-en-angleterre-guivarc-h-replique-15-10-2009-610750.php

"I don't care about this survey."

The title which was awarded by the Daily Mail didn't particularly please Stephane Guivarc'h. In a no-holds-barred interview to appear in tomorrow's "10Sport", the former Guingamp striker said, "I don't care about the survey", describing the Daily Mail as "a shit newspaper".

A tackle for the England team

"In the village (Guivarc'h is now coach of US Tregunc), no one mentioned it. Oh yes, the US Tregunc reserve team coach did. He came to me and printed off the article. It was to mock me. What a story, a truely poinless thing. In fact, the English, what have they won since 1966? They might have invented football but they'd be better off focussing on their national side because it hasn't particularly improved in a long time.

"I only played 4 matches"

Reflecting on his time at Newcastle, Stephane Guivarc'h queries, "How can they judge this? At Newcastle (1998) I only played 4 matches, in which just two were starts, and I scored once which was against Liverpool. After two games, Kenny Dalglish who had signed me, and wanted to partner me alongside Alan Shearer, was sacked. Ruud Gullit arrived, and put me on the shelf", explained Guivarc'h.

His coach? "He was like a tourist"

"Never had a manager failed me in that respect." adds Guivarc'h. "Gullit isolated me. There was one time he was missing somebody for a little game. He came looking for me, and made me wait for quarter of an hour. I was, at best, his spare wheel. Gullit operated a disastrous recruitment policy at Newcastle. He was fired after one year. His wife was still living in Holland, and him, he only turned up on a Wednesday and a matchday. He was like a tourist."

Guest KeithKettleborough

Completely agree really, he didn't play enough to be properly judged and there would be many far worse who played more games. He didn't look that great in the World Cup but maybe he was very effective in the French league I believe and maybe less publicised over here.

Not sure of his stats but Kenny's son would probably be rated very poorly and probably played far more games than the Frenchie I would imagine.

Guest Geordiesned

His performance away to Spurs was one of the most shameful performances I have ever witnessed as a Newcastle supporter.

He was awful in the little time we had him. He was awful at Rangers as well. Apart 3rd & some 2nd choice goalkeepers probably the worst player ever to win a W/C medal in my lifetime.

He is in around the worst striker ever to play in the in Premiership but it is a bit harsh on him being called the worst striker in Premiership history.  CHUTNEY FERRET & Marco Boogers (I suppose whacking G.Neville makes him better like) should be near if not top spot.

His performance away to Spurs was one of the most shameful performances I have ever witnessed as a Newcastle supporter.

I agree, at one point he had a great chance to score and missed the ball. Didn't even touch the ball. Even Shola usually touches the ball.

Fuck me, couldn't even get 1 in 2 playing for Rangers. I'm surprised he even got remembered by the Mail, there aren't many strikers I could name who didn't play for us and only got 4 games in the league. I've regularly named him as the worst player I've ever seen for us, that Spurs game was the only time I saw him play.