Ashley to pay Keegan's legal fees

Frazzle

According to .com

KK gets costs   

Following the award of £2m to Kevin Keegan earlier this month by a Premier League Tribunal, the former United boss has won another financial battle, with confirmation that his legal costs (plus interest) must also be met by Newcastle United.

No amount was given, but if the two parties are unable to agree, then the tribunal have the power to impose their own figure

The latest judgment includes the following phrase:

The Club should pay Mr Keegan’s costs on an indemnity basis given the manner in which it conducted this litigation: its defence on the primary liability issue was, in our view, wholly without merit and it chose to make entirely unfounded allegations against Mr Keegan.

Read the supplementary judgment in full online here

Read the original judgment in full online here

Funny that Ashley is still trying to slag off Shearer and Keegan (at the Scunthorpe game apparently) and more decisions are going against him.  If he wanted the fans to know what Keegan was 'really like' he should've revealed all in the tribunal.  Or was he just talking ****....

Paragraph 4 is quite revealing:

"Moreover, we reject the Club’s attempt to rely on the various offers which it made both prior to and during the hearing to settle the claim since none of them involved the Club’s acceptance that he had been constructively dismissed and all of them involved a condition of secrecy or confidentiality."

So, contrary to most reports, they did offer to settle (which is exactly what Wise said had happened) but wanted the whole thing kept quiet so no one would get to know the true extent of their incompetence and lack of integrity. What an absolute mess.

Are Ashley and the club now open to a libel or defamation of character action from Keegan? The tribunal seem pretty sure that everything they said about KK was completely made up.

what did they say about keegan except that he had agreed to a structure they themselves couldn't describe ?

also regarding that paragraph 4....there is no confidentiality or secrecy clause so i look forward to the FULL details coming out.

Guest itsTosh

I would guess that the legal fees question was going to be accepted by all parties as part of the previous settlement; ie, it is being announced now, but has not been argued over since the judgement. Thinking about it, though, it is kind of strange that Ashley would be prepared to settle for more (which I think is likely, but like anyone else I don't really know) on a confidentiality clause. Why? In a little while we'll get Keegan's book which no doubt will have a few more bits of tittle tattle about the summer dealings, etc., and there will be a bit of argy bargy on the chatter boards, but, from Ashley's point of view, so what? What I'm saying here is why didn't he just simply say, Kev here's x million, goodbye. It's not like he's wanting to protect his good name, or the future of the club, or his own future as football owner supremo.

Which leads me to think that the petulance of Mike Ashley is massive; he has lost a fair amount of money in his venture into the club, and wants to get at least some of it back, but more than that he just wants to put one over on people. Worrying.

Newcastle United to pay Keegan's legal fees

Fixed.

:snod:

Yeeeey, more money wasted.. woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

'Wasted' implies it would've been spent on something else.  Were you expecting any transfers in January?

Guest Roger Kint

Fixed.

Ashley = NUFC and NUFC = Ashley.

Granted it means less money for the club to spend but what exactly was Ashley going to spend this extra £1.5m on?

Its £1.5m somebody else needs to find when they buy the club as the overdraft will take the hit.

Fixed.

Granted it means less money for the club to spend but what exactly was Ashley going to spend this extra £1.5m on?

Its £1.5m somebody else needs to find when they buy the club as the overdraft will take the hit.

It's more than likely going to be less than 1/80th of the price of the club, hardly the worst thing to happen to the club in the last few weeks.

Funny that Ashley is still trying to slag off Shearer and Keegan (at the Scunthorpe game apparently) and more decisions are going against him.  If he wanted the fans to know what Keegan was 'really like' he should've revealed all in the tribunal.  Or was he just talking ****....

where is this? What was he saying?

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,65151.msg2032492.html#msg2032492

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,65151.msg2032492.html#msg2032492

he may have revealed all at the tribunal we wouldn't know as it seemed to only fix on the structure and gonzalez.

i wish both would come clean as it seems like keegan is trying to make out he had no say at all (then how bassong and guthrie, possibly modric and possibly killing off the swiss bloke deal) whereas ashley makews out keegan wanted unrealistic signings.

That is one seriously ITK post by golfmag. How does he know that stuff?

"Moreover, we reject the Clubs attempt to rely on the various offers which it made both prior to and during the hearing to settle the claim since none of them involved the Clubs acceptance that he had been constructively dismissed and all of them involved a condition of secrecy or confidentiality."

So, contrary to most reports, they did offer to settle (which is exactly what Wise said had happened) but wanted the whole thing kept quiet so no one would get to know the true extent of their incompetence and lack of integrity. What an absolute mess.

I want to state categorically that the allegation that has been made in the press that I turned down an offer of £4m to settle the claim is simply untrue. No such offer was made to me.

I wonder how much they did offer?

don't know if my first post got through but anyway, Ashley was given a tie so got back into the Boardroom at half time. he was telling the Scunthorpe Directors that their entire wage bill is less than "f.....g" Shearer wanted to be a manager in the Championship. He also said that he wished he could tell the fans what Keegan was really like. Ashley was quite affable actually but what I really hated was that you would have thought we had won 6 0 tonight, the way he was after the game.

And by the way, we were bloody unlucky tonight. Can't believe how many chances we had. And we wouldnt have conceded either goal with Taylor and Colo there.

So whats stopping him appointing another manager instead of Shearer anyway???

Wish he could tell fans what KK was really like, hang on a minute.  Aren't these gob shytes proven liars?

Fixed.

It's more than likely going to be less than 1/80th of the price of the club, hardly the worst thing to happen to the club in the last few weeks.

Not the worst thing, but still a bad thing for NUFC.

"Moreover, we reject the Clubs attempt to rely on the various offers which it made both prior to and during the hearing to settle the claim since none of them involved the Clubs acceptance that he had been constructively dismissed and all of them involved a condition of secrecy or confidentiality."

I want to state categorically that the allegation that has been made in the press that I turned down an offer of £4m to settle the claim is simply untrue. No such offer was made to me.

I wonder how much they did offer?

and does it mean keegan is a proven liar ?