Domestic corporal punishment?

Segun Oluwaniyi

Was talking about this with somene earlier and I just want to get a sense of what everyone's views are on this. I have always thought it to be essential and helpful in the development of a child. I think it helps to bring about discipline and order in the household. Obviously this will differ with societal norms and how you grew up as a child (It was a given where I was).

One thing I think is important though is that there is a difference between punishing a child and child abuse. It is not fair to say that hitting a child is bad because some parents abuse children. That is akin to saying that intercourse is bad because some people get raped.

Think i got hit once or twice, both times for putting myself in danger.

Respected my father enough to know that a telling off was enough to realise when i did wrong. Anyone who goes any further is a cunt imo.

Guest toonlass

what does it teach,... if someone does something you dont want them to do, ... HIT THEM.

Agreed. It shows children that its ok for a bigger person to hit someone to assert their authority. Have never needed to do it in nearly 12 years of being a parent.

Guest toonlass

I bet you are like my mum was, mental torture  :angry:

No TV in my bedroom if i was bad, it worked  :shifty:

They don't have a tv in the bedroom, we only have one tv in the house, and its in the living room.

what does it teach,... if someone does something you dont want them to do, ... HIT THEM.

Agreed. It shows children that its ok for a bigger person to hit someone to assert their authority. Have never needed to do it in nearly 12 years of being a parent.

I'm not a parent yet, but I wouldn't have thought it was in my make up to hit my child.

However, I was smacked if I was naughty as a child and it did me no harm. Slippers, hand but never belt thankfully. And if my Mam got to me first she would smack me then when my dad got home he would smack me for upsetting my mam!

It stopped once My Dad went to hit me but I blocked it and broke his fingers

Guest toonlass

They don't have a tv in the bedroom, we only have one tv in the house, and its in the living room.

Indoor or outdoor toilet?

Indoor, and we have electricity too you know. Its fab!

Indoor or outdoor toilet?

Indoor, and we have electricity too you know. Its fab!

No gas though?  Coal fire?

You people are a bunch of fucking hippies.

Do people have a vision of a kid getting hit with Sweet Chin Music because he forgot to turn his light off?

I was pathetically hit as a youth, for doing twattish things. Basically when I did things that were intentionally to annoy parents, refuse to do x or repeatedly did x. This was after many stages of persuasion and other such parental techniques. Some kids will push and push and push until there are little other alternatives. All you have to do is to marginally smack a child for them to start wailing and learn that they don't want that to happen again.

And in absolutely no way is it equivalent to telling people to fix things by hitting others. It's establishing a pecking order within the home, nothing else.

You people are a bunch of fucking hippies.

Do people have a vision of a kid getting hit with Sweet Chin Music because he forgot to turn his light off?

I was pathetically hit as a youth, for doing twattish things. Basically when I did things that were intentionally to annoy parents, refuse to do x or repeatedly did x. This was after many stages of persuasion and other such parental techniques. Some kids will push and push and push until there are little other alternatives. All you have to do is to marginally smack a child for them to start wailing and learn that they don't want that to happen again.

And in absolutely no way is it equivalent to telling people to fix things by hitting others. It's establishing a pecking order within the home, nothing else.

This. My dad would give me a smack if I worked myself (or, as above, if I'd upset my mam  :lol: half the time the old "WAIT TILL YOUR DAD GETS HOME" would be sufficient to make me see sense!)

He went to smack me once mind but caught my arm at an awkward angle so I ended up with some nerve damage, he felt fucking awful for ages after but it was an accident.  :weep: I fucking deserved it as well mind. bluelaugh.gif

Guest toonlass

When I see people smacking their kids in public it seems (99% of the time) that it is the parent who has lost control and who lashes out. Aye the bairn might be whinging on but what right does any adult have to hit a child, especially when the adult is angry. Its not as if the smack is given as part of a discipline procedure, its a reaction of someone who has lost control in a lot of cases. If you teach your children how to behave there is no need to get to that stage. I have no right to hit my children, just as I have no right to hit a person in the street who might be annoying.

When I see people smacking their kids in public it seems (99% of the time) that it is the parent who has lost control and who lashes out. Aye the bairn might be whinging on but what right does any adult have to hit a child, especially when the adult is angry. Its not as if the smack is given as part of a discipline procedure, its a reaction of someone who has lost control in a lot of cases. If you teach your children how to behave there is no need to get to that stage. I have no right to hit my children, just as I have no right to hit a person in the street who might be annoying.

Retarded. We're not talking about the charvers in Morissons who are pissed off because they can't find their favourite brand of snout, we're talking about as a part of the disciplinary procedure in the home. Obviously you've just been very lucky with your kids because 'if you teach your children how to behave there is no need to get to that stage' is utter bullshit. Nothing my parents could've said came anywhere near the fear of being smacked. Most the time it was that fear factor that made me do something I didn't want to, rather than actually being hit. I imagine this is a significantly more prevalent trait in boys than girls.

Guest toonlass

Retarded. We're not talking about the charvers in Morissons who are pissed off because they can't find their favourite brand of snout, we're talking about as a part of the disciplinary procedure in the home. Obviously you've just been very lucky with your kids because 'if you teach your children how to behave there is no need to get to that stage' is utter bullshit. Nothing my parents could've said came anywhere near the fear of being smacked. Most the time it was that fear factor that made me do something I didn't want to, rather than actually being hit. I imagine this is a significantly more prevalent trait in boys than girls.

I take it your parents only ever smacked you once then, and then you never wound them up/ignored what they told you again. If not, then smacking obviously didn't put that much fear into you.

Guest lankybellwipe

Having read this, I will only say, if a child hasn't been made to understand who the boss is, by the time they're hitting the rebelious teens, the fan will be cloaked in shit quite quickly imo!!

I think I've said before on here, nanny state is turning the next generation into a complete waste of education and  time. Teacher has NO authority any more, PC plod has little more, so it looks like it's the parent who needs to maintain a leash, where the rest are afraid of the compensation brigade!  Funny that! Theres been so much publicity about this lately............. kids getting out of control, and it seems the parents are at fault.  Damn right! Cos nowadays, they're the only sods who can slap the kids leg or bum when they hit they're sibling,  without having toss pots intervening and saying you're a bad parent.

I've never been told I've done something wrong as a parent, fingers crossed, but if I need to impose a little authority, by means of a smacked bum, or thigh........... as the guardian of a minor, to make the minor understand that what they're doing is not acceptable, and some pillock comes across and starts giving it this and that, I swear, I'll either push them away, or slap them!

If I had to choose between going to court on a charge of child cruelty, or letting my kid run amok whilst I shout from behind him, asking him to behave a bit, I guess I'll see you in 4 to 6 months!!

(for the record, I would never give any more than the above to a kid)

First of all Blef, anyone going around smacking their child in public in Britain needs to have their head checked. It's not part of the social decorum in that country. Discipline your children in private, however you want to do it.

When I was beaten as a child, it was more to do with disrespect or repeated violations of set rules that my parents had laid down. I was pretty much an arse when I was younger (still am I suppose), so I was on the end of a few things. My brother and sister less so.

Nothing wrong with a good punch or slap to tell a kid that "no, the world isn't fair" or "no, you can't have that thing you wanted just by screaming louder". Spare the rod and spoil the child. Society's gone downhill ever since the day corporal punishment was withdrawn from schools, and I really don't see that the nanny state should be allowed to decide what is and isn't an appropriate method for parents to discipline their children.

Nothing wrong with a good punch or slap to tell a kid that "no, the world isn't fair" or "no, you can't have that thing you wanted just by screaming louder". Spare the rod and spoil the child. Society's gone downhill ever since the day corporal punishment was withdrawn from schools, and I really don't see that the nanny state should be allowed to decide what is and isn't an appropriate method for parents to discipline their children.

Totally agree.

Exactly and if you want to get a bit creative .....

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat