Winning formula upfront

Jayson

Just read this post & made me think:

We changed a winning formula of Carroll/Ranger and Nolan up top for Harewood and Carroll, its not bringing goals like the original.

Colo and Taylor are injured.

Hughton is fairly limited.

These are the problems as I see them.

So was wondering what our winning formula has been this season so far, atleast upfront as we have a lot of options now. Looked up the statsss & thought it was interesting.

So here is the result: (this is based on these lineups staying like this for atleast 40 mins & what the results would have been in that time ignoring the rest of teh game.)

So out of all of our wins.

We've played Ameobi & Carroll upfront together twice and won twice.

We've played Ameobi upfront alone once and won once.

We've played Ranger upfront alone twice and won twice.

We've played Carroll upfront alone twice & lost twice.

We've played Carroll & Ranger upfront together 3 times, won Twice & drawn once.

We've played Harewood & Lovenkrands together once and drawn once.

Harewood & Carroll twice, lost once & drawn once.

So based on the limited amount of info we have so far the answer is......

Dont play carroll upfront alone.

Ranger upfront alone, Ameobi & Carroll or Ranger & Carroll is where we've had all of our wins. Lineups we havent used atall the past 3 games. <<<  :thdn:

We should probably give Ranger/Carroll some time upfront together again. The last two games before QPR we played them together we scored 6 goals in two games. Then against QPR were unlucky - Missing a pen & them getting a deflected goal. Either that or Ranger & Harewood who havent had much real time together, but probably makes more sense to start with a lineup we've actually won games with.

?

I agree that Ranger and Carroll should be persevered with......they both offer something to the team and as you say, its generally worked well for us this season. i just wonder if now he's got harewood in, hughton feels like he needs to play him.

seems a very naive way of looking at things. thats basing things purely on forwards and ignoring the rest of what we had available throughout the rest of the team and the performances.

Well im not saying thats the pure reason we're losing. Obviously theres likely more to it, i constantly post that all over.

But i think a good place to start would be to use a foward line up thats actually won us a game so far this season. Dont ya think?

seems a very naive way of looking at things. thats basing things purely on forwards and ignoring the rest of what we had available throughout the rest of the team and the performances.

Well im not saying thats the pure reason we're losing. Obviously theres likely more to it, i constantly post that all over.

But i think a good place to start would be to use a foward line up thats actually won us a game so far this season. Dont ya think?

i'd think the midfield is a better place to start as for the past few games it has created little for the forwards and helped the defenders little.

I agree that Ranger and Carroll should be persevered with......they both offer something to the team and as you say, its generally worked well for us this season. i just wonder if now he's got harewood in, hughton feels like he needs to play him.

Combination of that and Dropping Ranger because of us not dominating an in form QPR. Even though we were unlucky to not be winning that game, wasnt our best performance but hasnt compared atall to what we've tried since.

i'd think the midfield is a better place to start as for the past few games it has created little for the forwards and helped the defenders little.

But im not sure our midfield was ever creating much? A lot of our goals this season have come from long balls & crosses. We should have a good midfield, but we mainly play long ball football for whatever reason. We havent stopped doing that at any point really, reading was the only game we passed it well i can remember. Even then all our goals were the result of crosses.

So i think the problem is we're no longer using fowards together who can do much of use with these longballs. Ranger atleast alone seems to improve our ability to do something with them, the results back that up significantly.

We either play long ball because our midfield can't create or because our Chris 'Barack' Houghton knows no better. Probably not mutually exclusive. I'd like to see what Ranger would be able to do with either Lovenkrands or Carroll again purely because Harewood is about as much use as a fart in a spacesuit

whereas Carroll's been f***ing brilliant all season.

Not saying he has or is, but I don't believe Harewood has anyhting to offer anymore. Know your gonna hate this but he seems like he could'nt trap a bag of cement and competes in the air like one too. Limited as he is even Carroll can just about manage the basics. I think Ranger would create more than either anyway and should be first name on the team sheet atm, whoever plays should have a better chance of scoring if he was imo.

Difference is Taylor is clearly class, Harewood has done sweet FA in evey game he's had in a Newcastle shirt and has nothing to offer other than not being Andy Carroll

In this league I would agree. Only proven to be average at best during his Premiership career (Barring the end of last season playing at full-back). It's fairly obviously as well btw that Harewood isn't very good in the air yet we seem to persist on lumping long balls up to him.

Difference is Taylor is clearly class, Harewood has done sweet FA in evey game he's had in a Newcastle shirt and has nothing to offer other than not being Andy Carroll

Harewood's managed a goal with only 2 starts.

In this league I would agree. Only proven to be average at best during his Premiership career (Barring the end of last season playing at full-back). It's fairly obviously as well btw that Harewood isn't very good in the air yet we seem to persist on lumping long balls up to him.

:sadnod: Aye. inclined to agree. It doesn't help. Not out for a character assasination of the lad but I just happen to think Harewood's as mediocre a footballer as Andy Carroll and yet starts ahead of the likes of Nile Ranger.

It's f***ing brilliant, reminds me of Taylor's early days when it was always somebody else's fault we were s*** at the back.

Early days? It was like that at times last year as well.

Colo was the weakest link for the majority of last season tbh.

:lol:

not biting

I certainly think Ranger deserves a chance, as in a run in the first team with a strike partner alongside him. Early on in the season I thought he was being thrown in the deep end too fast but he looks surprisingly comfortable on the ball and looks a decent footballer who brings good hold up play to the team. I now believe from what I've seen that he's worth a shot.

I'd like to see Ranger paired with Lovenkrands or Harewood. Chopping and changing has an air of desperation about it but then so do our performances, it's a case of needs must at the minute. Changes need to be made and Ranger looks a real prospect to me.

I think our recent poor form has a lot to do with missing players and just generally being found out as a one-dimensional team. We always knew these would be problems due to our lack of squad depth. The first XI will scrape plenty of wins but any time the poor squad depth gets exposed we will drop points.

Harewood's managed a goal with only 2 starts.

That's a crap statistic, given that he didn't actually score it in either of those starts. :lol:

It's f***ing brilliant, reminds me of Taylor's early days when it was always somebody else's fault we were s*** at the back.

Early days? It was like that at times last year as well.

Colo was the weakest link for the majority of last season tbh.

I never said he wasn't. But last year at centre half Taylor was poor as well. He only hit form when he was out the way at full-back, as he can get away with his marking of space when played out there. That and he gets to pretend that he is Cafu.