Can't handle this

Mowen

Bit controversial I guess but felt like I needed to make this thread.

I can't take this anymore - and I don't mean from the club. The reactions to us losing some games on here have been fucking pathetic of late in my opinion. No, I'm not happy and I'd rather be winning, but football doesn't work like that - you don't win every week. The OTT reactions (I know most of them are knee-jerk, but even so) are just pathetic. Several people say they can't be bothered with it anymore because we lost to Scunthorpe; I don't want to come across Superfan here but you signed up to support the team, you fucking support them whatever's going on.

Things like "this is pathetic, we shouldn't be losing to Scunthorpe". Why not? If they outplay us we should, that's how football works. Yes, we're all gutted with the damage Ashley has done to the club culminating in our relegation but football goes in cycles, everyone goes through lean years. Football is transient, nothing lasts forever and just because we've been better than a lot of teams in this division for a long time now doesn't mean we "should" be beating any of them, whatever that means. Part of the appeal of football is that it's constantly changing and you don't know what you'll get next. I think we might have been spoilt of late, my old man reckoned 16 years was the longest stint in the top flight he could remember.

The reaction to Hughton is one I find staggering. 5 games ago he was getting lauded for performing well above expectations and rightly so. Now it's changing and we've dropped a few points he's getting panned (even though I suspect not that many people would have expected us 2nd after 13 games with no investment and no change at the top). He's still the same bloke, out of his depth, doing his best the same way he has been all season: why have the attitudes changed so much? It seems as though we can't take losing.

No-one enjoys losing and it winds us all up, but reading some of the reactions to the inevitable dropping of points makes me understand why other fans sometimes get the impression that we feel we have a divine right to be in the top flight.

I don't think I've worded that anywhere near as well as I planned but the general point holds imo.

Things like "this is pathetic, we shouldn't be losing to Scunthorpe". Why not? If they outplay us we should, that's how football works.

To be fair when most people are saying Scunthorpe shouldn't be beating us they mean Scunthorpe shouldn't be outplaying us.  It's obvious we don't have a divine right to win but a team of current and ex internationals should be able to beat an average Championship side.

I don't condone anyone whingeing constantly or expecting fantastic results every time, but when oour team has by far the biggest wage bill in the division, I do resent seeing them struggle to play decent football against teams on a fraction of their salaries. You win some, you lose some, but you would expect a few better performances tbh.

As for Hughton, I like the bloke but it's a sad situation when a club of this stature has resorted to appointing a coach as a manager when he has proven nothing yet. I think that is what people are finding frustrating.

Guest Roger Kint

Well said  :clap:

Although RE: Hughton. I think he should be applauded for the start but his failings were always there, just glossed over by better results than performances.

Top post Mowen and I completely agree with everything you have said.

Hughton is the perfect example, a few weeks ago it was "top bloke, we do need a proper manager but I hope he stays and he deserves a lot of credit" now a short time later people are verging on feelings of hate for the man and want him kicked out.

I know one forum is no way a representation of an entire clubs supporters but at times on here you can see how these lazy journalists can pick up and label us deluded and extremely fickle.

Good post!

The biggest annoyance from me is so-called supporters singleing out certain players for being "shit".

One bad game and it's "he's shit", "he's not fit to wear the shirt" etc. What a fucking awful attitude that is.  It's these sort of comments and that attitude that innevitably, eventually filters through to players and saps their confidence.

If someone has a bad game then fair enough let's talk about their crap performance but instantly labelling someone as shit because they didn't set the world alight on one or two games is ridiculous.

Take Marlon Harewood for example. Here is a guy who hasn't played frist team football for months, is coming back from a long-term injury, has just joined a new group of players with a new manager, new tactics, new surroundings, new league etc. and he's already been written off by large sections of the "best fans in the world".

It's no wonder the whole football world laughs at us for having unreasonable expectations.

I agree with the basic point, the forum does attract the knee-jerk reactions and the fickle opinions. I suppose it's bound to though, it's an outlet for peoples' frustrations.

Even at St James's people are ridiculously fickle, and players get abused for the slightest mistake... it annoys me something rotton when everyone around me is shouting 'you useless bastard' for a misplaced pass or a very minor error.

We seem to think we should just be able to walk over teams, and football isn't like that for anyone.

Guest icemanblue

Couldn't agree, with the OP, more. Yes, the wheels have come off slightly in the last few games but isn't that what 'form' is all about?

Things will pick up again (I hope) and the team and Hughton will be lauded as heroes again.

Guest johnson293

To be honest, I didn't think we'd start this season the way we did, heading straight to the top (or thereabouts) of the table. I thought we'd have a hit and miss start, and be somewhere mid-table.

I'm just glad we got the start we did, and have the points on the board, as its given us a bit of a cushion with the last 4 results - but we have been lucky with other results going our way at times as well.

It is disappointing that we have hit a rough patch after the start we made, but hopefully its a reality check for fans and the players - some of whom were probably in a false sense of security after the start we made.

I just hope we get the injured players back soon - S.Taylor and Colo in particular, as it seems since they went out of the team, the defence hasn't been as 'solid'.

I understand where you are coming from, but whats wrong with wanting your team to win games and being upset when they don't?  Football is like that, and unfortunately Newcastle United means a hell of a lot to some people.  It's not like anyone is forcing you to read the forum.

As for Hughton, I like the bloke but it's a sad situation when a club of this stature has resorted to appointing a coach as a manager when he has proven nothing yet. I think that is what people are finding frustrating.

And yet a lot of the people who are complaining about him wanted Shearer appointed...

I understand where you are coming from, but whats wrong with wanting your team to win games and being upset when they don't?  Football is like that, and unfortunately Newcastle United means a hell of a lot to some people.  It's not like anyone is forcing you to read the forum.

Nothing wrong with it really, its just a bit stupid.

I don't condone anyone whingeing constantly or expecting fantastic results every time, but when oour team has by far the biggest wage bill in the division, I do resent seeing them struggle to play decent football against teams on a fraction of their salaries. You win some, you lose some, but you would expect a few better performances tbh.

For me it's simply the fact it is an indication that the club isn't getting sold that and as a manager Hughton doesn't inspire me at all. Although I suppose at this moment in time he might be the best we can actually attract due to the uncertainty from above.

The biggest annoyance from me is so-called supporters singleing out certain players for being "s***".

One bad game and it's "he's s***", "he's not fit to wear the shirt" etc. What a f***ing awful attitude that is.  It's these sort of comments and that attitude that innevitably, eventually filters through to players and saps their confidence.

If someone has a bad game then fair enough let's talk about their crap performance but instantly labelling someone as s*** because they didn't set the world alight on one or two games is

ridiculous.

It's not one bad game though. Some of these players have been performing consistently crap for weeks now, they've been luckier until now

Take Marlon Harewood for example. Here is a guy who hasn't played frist team football for months, is coming back from a long-term injury, has just joined a new group of players with a new manager, new tactics, new surroundings, new league etc. and he's already been written off by large sections of the "best fans in the world".

It's all excuses, excuses, excuses. It's not about constantly performing, scoring millions of goals and the such. It's about showing a spark, seeing something in a player that makes you think 'wow, they have something'. So far, there's been nowt from him, bar a tap-in. He's lazy, he doesn't jump for a header, or chase a ball. He just stands there and does nowt. And he's hardly a stranger to the Championship ffs.

It's no wonder the whole football world laughs at us for having unreasonable expectations.

Name me one club that isn't like that.

The fact is that all football fans at all clubs behave in exactly the same way. Some call in kneejerk, others call it realism.

People should stop singling NUFC fans out and pointing the finger, because we're not the first set of fans to act the way we do, and we sure as hell won't be the last.

If we had been offered where we are today at the start of the season, 100% of respondents would have taken it.

It doesn't work like that though, and you know it.

You can't predict what is going to happen in a season, of course we'd have taken it back then, but since then we've seen the quality of some of the opposition put infront of us and we should have done better than we have.

I couldn't give a fuck where we are now, I'll only be happy if we're still here come May.