Fan culture and the little league.

Benwell Lad

I know the expression "fan culture" sounds foreign but you know what I mean. Good old fashioned atmosphere which seems to have been on the wane over the last few years. Apart from seeing your team win, the next best thing about going to the match is to be part of an atmosphere which makes it a special occasion.

One of the silver linings of the big black cloud of relegation seems to be a better atmosphere at the matches. We now have a core support of around 40K for home games, but most of the 10K or so who have gone were the plastics who were never particularly passionate about the game.

Added to this we are now the big day out for every club in the league and whether it's far away Plymouth of little old Doncaster (3,000+ coming on Saturday) they will all sell out and this will add to a really good atmosphere.

Compare that to the big league where Wigan, Fulham, Pompey and even Villa (amongst others) could only manage a couple of bus loads, and even some of those who sold out (Liverpool, Sunderland, Chelsea etc) barely made any noise at all.

I hope we're back in the big league soon but the atmosphere at Championship matches so far has been far better than the Premiership.

I haven't been away yet this season but the atmosphere at the Plymouth game was terrible, worse than I can remember in a while (for a league game anyway).

That's the only home I've been to so far this season and I thought it was better than the games I went to last year.

I haven't been away yet this season but the atmosphere at the Plymouth game was terrible, worse than I can remember in a while (for a league game anyway).

That's the only home I've been to so far this season and I thought it was better than the games I went to last year.

We spent a lot of time getting beat last year. Probably why.

Only got to three homes last season...the draws against Stoke, Wigan and Everton. Not great. I don't know whether it was better or worse than my record of one win in ten games on the road.

Undoubtedly.

But away teams selling out and "fashion fans" pissing off has definitely helped too.

Undoubtedly.

But away teams selling out and "fashion fans" pissing off has definitely helped too.

Actually I agree with you about the away fans, nearly started a thread about how much better they'll be over the course of the season a couple of weeks ago. No-one will bring as few as the like of Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn or Pompey this season and they'll all be up for it partly due to the relative novelty of us being in this league.