Watford

Charlton

Sheffield United

West Ham

Blackburn

Reading

Middlesborough

Fulham

All of these 8 teams have conceeded more goals than our defence has. I think people should stop blaming the defenders, who while I admit they are very bad at times, are not the reason we are where we are. If our attacking players were doing there job and putting the ball in the net we would be well clear of the relegation zone.

It was never about letting in too many goals, not for me anyway, it was about the game being in the balance then the defence commiting insane acts of stupidity leading to vital goals being lost.  Not numerous goals being lost.  The defence's mistakes, however, are highlighted due to the fact we can't fucking score.  So it's a bit of both, to be honest. 

Watford

Charlton

Sheffield United

West Ham

Blackburn

Reading

Middlesborough

Fulham

All of these 8 teams have conceeded more goals than our defence has. I think people should stop blaming the defenders, who while I admit they are very bad at times, are not the reason we are where we are. If our attacking players were doing there job and putting the ball in the net we would be well clear of the relegation zone.

Yup.

we have looked alot better since Nigel Pearson has arrived.  That said we still look paper thin at the back.

Carr, Moore, Bramble and Babayaro do their utmost to fuck things up though.

We would certainly have double the points if we could actually score goals though. Full backs have been a problem for years now, with all the focus being on the centre backs.

If we had two decent full backs the CB's wouldnt be so stressed, pulled apart and out of position. Quite how they achieve this considering they add nothing to the attack for the most part im not sure.

Two decent fullbacks would also support the midfield in turn helping our attacking play, over lapping feeding crosses for the attackers in the middle. We had one cross from a fullback today in Ramage.

The two fullbacks attacking would also suit emre and parker who seem dead set on sitting deep for the majority of the game, leaving the two to sweep and back up whilst they are attacking.

Two decent fullbacks would transform our team. But the bottom line is in the organisation and more importantly the motivation, smaller teams defend well with poorer players than we have, our players just arent being motivated properly.

It was never about letting in too many goals, not for me anyway, it was about the game being in the balance then the defence commiting insane acts of stupidity leading to vital goals being lost.  Not numerous goals being lost.  The defence's mistakes, however, are highlighted due to the fact we can't ****ing score.  So it's a bit of both, to be honest. 

nail on head. it's the points dropped not the goals conceded.

So it's a bit of both, to be honest. 

Was going to say the same thing.

Once a bandwagon jumper always a bandwagon jumper eh.....

It's losers like you posting shite like that who drag the forum down and turn it almost into a waste of space.

Just jumping on your bandwagon, mate.

Try debating, try answering some questions instead of spouting shite and you'll be taken more seriously. I know it's difficult, since you don't have an original football related opinion in your head, like.

It's losers like you posting shite like that who drag the forum down and turn it almost into a waste of space.

Oh, I see, you were talking about yourself.

Sorry, "mate".

Oh, I see, you were talking about yourself.

Sorry, "mate".

gay.gif

When do you start on about your obsession?

HTL and our American branch are succinct and right. Most of you who post constructive comments have pointed out the relationship between defence, midfield and strikers. At this time we have Sibierski. Martins is injured, back soon; Owens is out for the season; Amoebi is out for the season. Rossi on loan but too small unless sibierski plays, Luque not being played (only he and Roeder know why), Dyer off as usual.

Therefore no strikers.

The defence, while not great, isnt crap either. Emre and Parker sitting back indicates a lack of confidence in the full backs who are honestly erratic to poor. They appear to leave gaps hence the Parker Emre situation.

I'll stick my neck out and suggest a team that Roeder could use - but not being privy to the mental and performance states of players I have no idea if this would work

Harper

Ramage       Moore     Taylor      Nzogbia

Emre       Parker      Butt    Milner

Luque   Martins

Bench

Solano

Babayaro

Duff

Dyer

I am really tempted to put Solano at right back, just can't quite bring myself.

Emre on the right and N'Zogbia at leftback, not to mention two defensive midfielders in the middle...

If we're going to play a diamond-shaped midfield, I would play Dyer or N'Zogbia in an advanced role behind the strikers, Emre on the left and Solano on the right.

You can always have a decent defensive record, if they are well organised with a leader, and players in front of them who can play - they don't get exposed when this happens. Our defence was never our priority. We lost Shearer, Bellamy and now Owen from the team and players we could have had, and nobody really as an out and out front player to match all those 3. So we needed 2 forwards/strikers minimum, and a box to box midfield man. Such a line up would produce such a dramatic change to the team the defence would be OK. Taylor and Moore is a pretty decent combination and with Given in goal I just can't see how this is more urgent than forwards. Sort out the shape of the team and our attacking play then look for a steady left back but not before.

You can always have a decent defensive record, if they are well organised with a leader, and players in front of them who can play - they don't get exposed when this happens. Our defence was never our priority. We lost Shearer, Bellamy and now Owen from the team and players we could have had, and nobody really as an out and out front player to match all those 3. So we needed 2 forwards/strikers minimum, and a box to box midfield man. Such a line up would produce such a dramatic change to the team the defence would be OK. Taylor and Moore is a pretty decent combination and with Given in goal I just can't see how this is more urgent than forwards. Sort out the shape of the team and our attacking play then look for a steady left back but not before.

Portsmouth are a case in point. Primus, Stefanovic, Pamarot, etc. aren't great defenders, but because they have Campbell and are well drilled, they don't leak many.

• 15 years later...

While our full back depth could be better I think this is the first time we have been able to interchange CB partnerships well for a LONG time.

I honestly feel very comfortable with the four CBs we have. Lascelles and Burn were fantastic against Liverpool. Schar and Botman are getting better with each game. With the amount of games we have in a short time it could be invaluable. Another quality LB and RB and this could be our best back 8 in my time as a supporter at least?