Computer IT courses.

cp40

Bit of Advice needed cos i know theres some computer wizards on here.

My daughter is in her final year at Whitley High, ( she tells me 159 days left,.. counting like a prison sentence)

rather than sixth form, she wants to go to college, and do some 'computer stuff'...( thats the limit of my knowlege).

She was asking me whether she should go to Newcastle or Gateshead and do...

BTEC National Diploma In IT Applications Design: E-commerce, Website Production, Games Development, Advanced Applications Yr 1

is this worthwhile, is it relevant to future employment.

She also wants to do A-level English language , but apparently cant with that course,.. i said do the english after it thren,.. is this too obvious,. its what i would do. Ive always suceeded when ive done things one at a time anyway.

, advice appreciated.

I have no clue what a BTEC National Diploma is, could you shed some light? I think I've started being left behind ala O levels vs GCSEs. Getting old.

Anyway, is her intention to go on to Uni or not?

The actual subjects that it lists sound fairly broad, and would require further study to know what you're doing, if that is just a one year course.

In conclusion, dunno like.

If she wants to do an English a level, is there not a relevant computing a level?

I have no clue what a BTEC National Diploma is, could you shed some light? I think I've started being left behind ala O levels vs GCSEs. Getting old.

Anyway, is her intention to go on to Uni or not?

The actual subjects that it lists sound fairly broad, and would require further study to know what you're doing, if that is just a one year course.

In conclusion, dunno like.

If she wants to do an English a level, is there not a relevant computing a level?

she says 2 year course, the Ict a levels are crap. I agree its a broad course, i will be telling her to go to university, or best case a job with relevant training.

I did a BTEC Diploma in Computing about 3,000 years ago. It'll get her into uni, if that's her ambition. Imo, a graduate probably doesn't know a whole lot more than someone who's only competed a diploma, but a lot of IT places only want to see graduates.

Actually, having re-read your OP: the diploma, I believe, is a normally a two-year course and equivalent to three A levels (i.e. it will allow you to get into a uni). I think there is a BTEC Certificate that runs for one year, and is probably quite useless (in terms of higher education), tbh, in itself unless paired with another A-level or whatever.

The BTEC route will be a 2year ND and if a good result is acheived (merit or distinction) it will open the door to a 2 year HND in the same or similar subject. then you go to uni for a final year like a top up and get your degree! It could be more than a year...obviously subjects like medicine or law demand you to stay longer at uni!

Smaller uni's will accept a ND as entry for foundation degrees...more prestigious establishments may expect a HND in order to consider eligibility.

The BTEC route will be a 2year ND and if a good result is acheived (merit or distinction) it will open the door to a 2 year HND in the same or similar subject. then you go to uni for a final year like a top up and get your degree! It could be more than a year...obviously subjects like medicine or law demand you to stay longer at uni!

Smaller uni's will accept a ND as entry for foundation degrees...more prestigious establishments may expect a HND in order to consider eligibility.

thats interesting, i will copy that and mail it to her.

Tynemet (coast Road campus) currently have some excellent teachers in their IT department. Just spent the last two years with them and tbh some of the best i've ever had in any subject.

Bob is quite literally a genius. I've done my foundation degree there, then come to Northumbria Uni for the final year and there are people who've done their two years at the uni, at Gateshead, at Newcastle and a couple of other places and the 4 of us who've done the final year from Tynemet are pretty much doing well compared to others in terms of knowledge of the subject and understanding, i'd say without question we got the best deal and taught the best areas as all of our stuff follows on whereas other places are experiencing a lot of stuff brand new and its tough enough as it is.

Tynemets facilities though are basic, but tbh not as basic as the shite and Northumbria uni (computer wise)

Obviously she won't be able to go straight on to the FD from high school but there are lower level courses and there were a lot of BTEC lot on our course who went for their FD after:

http://www.tynemet.ac.uk/courses/course.php?course=1L9747

I went directly to uni to take a BSc after completing my BTEC ND, btw. No foundation degree or HND.

Surely that's wrong.

Three years form High School for a degree? What's the point in A-Levels then?

More like a door to a foundation degree for two years then a degree in the final 3rd year.

I went directly to uni to take a BSc after completing my BTEC ND, btw. No foundation degree or HND.

FD is the best route. Same qualification if you go all the way, still get something if you fail the final year or decide to go in to work.

Plus the teaching and one to one time is far greater on a FD than a full degree.

FD is the best route. Same qualification if you go all the way, still get something if you fail the final year or decide to go in to work.

Plus the teaching and one to one time is far greater on a FD than a full degree.

Wasn't saying one was better than the other, just the option is there. I think the standard of teaching for certainly the first year at degree-level was shite, the level quite basic, and I could've stayed at home, tbh.

Wasn't saying one was better than the other, just the option is there. I think the standard of teaching for certainly the first year at degree-level was shite, the level quite basic, and I could've stayed at home, tbh.

I know you weren't, but I was.  :razz:

Makes too much sense imo, even if i fail this year it's not the end of the world, i've got a FD to fall back on. Think that's a nice safety to have and takes the pressure off a bit.

The standard in the final year is leaving a lot to be desired as well mate, some of it just makes me want to stand up in the lecture and demand my £2.90 metro fare back, others just send me to sleep.

On a computer course, spend 14 hours a week at Uni, 2 of it in front of a computer. It's shite, and that 2 hours is a massive bastard, web databases which even that has turned in to fuking OOD.  :angry:

If your daughter wants to go to uni I would advise that she does her A'levels and then studies computing.

If your daughter wants to go into employment then she could think about doing an IT apprenticeship if there is any available. It looks likely that the government is going to start putting a lot more money into apprenticeships so there should be some places available.

I wouldn't bother doing a BTEC Diploma as it's not that valued as a qualification. Also if she is thinking long term about gaining a graduate position in computing then she doesn't even need to study computing as all they go off is the psychometric test results. I got to the final stage of the selection process for Accenture and all I had to do was to sit around a table and discuss the best invention of the last 100 years (which I screwed up as I didn't watch for timekeeping and setting a criteria). I did gain an IT graduate position for Logica at the time and they too were not bothered about what I gained during my studies.