What's it got to do with you like!?!

indi

'Bedroom snooper' row over census

Ministers will invade peoples' privacy by asking "intrusive" questions in the census, the Conservatives are claiming.

When the 2011 survey is conducted next March everyone in the UK will have to answer the questions or face fines.

Details will be sought about the number of bedrooms in peoples' homes and information about "overnight visitors".

The Tories said this would amount to "bedroom snooping" but ministers said all questions would be justified in the public interest.

The census, which is conducted every 10 years, is designed to give an accurate snapshot of demographic and social changes in the UK.

The 2011 survey is set to be carried out on 27 March 2010.

Officials are planning to introduce new methodology and ask a wider range of questions after the 2001 survey was sharply criticised.

'Invading privacy'

For the first time, people will be asked to provide details of the number of bedrooms they have as well as the names, sex and birth dates of any overnight guests in their homes.

Other new questions include how well people can speak English, the date overseas nationals entered the UK, how people define their national identity and whether they are in civil partnerships.

Those who do not complete the census risk being prosecuted while those giving false answers face being fined.

The Conservatives said the nature of the some of the questions amounted to a breach of privacy.

"An increasingly invasive and intrusive census will erode public support, cost more and result in a less accurate survey," said shadow Cabinet Office minister Nick Hurd.

"These 'bedroom snoopers' are yet another sign of how the Labour government has no respect for the privacy of law-abiding citizens."

The details of the census must be approved by Parliament in advance.

The Office for National Statistics has published a list of specimen questions and said it does not expect any major changes to them.

Ministers have said the questions were decided following extensive consultation and take into account the importance of the information requested as well as whether it was acceptable to ask for it.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8324746.stm

In 1997 who'd have thought that a Labour government would become the most draconian and authoritarian of the modern age?

Control orders, restrictions in the freedom of speech, ID cards, and now this. Well fuck 'em, just like I'll never have an ID card, I'll answer what I choose to answer in this and they can see me in court if they don't like it.

Just dont answer them questions or be absolutely ridiculous with the answers.

You could be prosecuted if you do. That's the authoritarian part and the problem.

tell little lies that they'll never be able to prove then.

You could be prosecuted if you do. That's the authoritarian part and the problem.

But the point is they shouldn't be asking us the kind of questions that we have to lie about.

But the point is they shouldn't be asking us the kind of questions that we have to lie about.

even the most basic of census would fall in that though.

even the most basic of census would fall in that though.

What do they need to know about guests and other such things for? Surely any over-night guests would be covered at their home address? It's just yet another example of the government intruding on people's lives and privacy for little or no legitimate purpose. It's one more step along the road to an authoritarian state, which we're sleep-walking towards.

What do they need to know about guests and other such things for? Surely any over-night guests would be covered at their home address? It's just yet another example of the government intruding on people's lives and privacy for little or no legitimate purpose. It's one more step along the road to an authoritarian state, which we're sleep-walking towards.

I agree but there are rules for benefit claimants - I'd be surprised if the Mail etc didn't support this for that purpose.

I agree but there are rules for benefit claimants - I'd be surprised if the Mail etc didn't support this for that purpose.

They're not allowed to have people stay overnight at their houses now?

If you have nothing to hide you shouldn't mind answering these questions.

if you have nothiong to hide you shouldn't mind the police going through your computer or your wifes underwear drawer or the pics of your kids on the beach.

If the classic "lass with a bairn" is claiming housing benefit as a single mother then I think she can have the father stop 3 nights a week but no more as that counts as co-habiting which is different and changes which benefits she may or may nor claim.

Mate of mine was in this situation a few years ago so things might have changed but I think there'll still be something like that in place.

If the classic "lass with a bairn" is claiming housing benefit as a single mother then I think she can have the father stop 3 nights a week but no more as that counts as co-habiting which is different and changes which benefits she may or may nor claim.

Mate of mine was in this situation a few years ago so things might have changed but I think there'll still be something like that in place.

Why's this going to be part of the census though?  The census is conducted every 10 years.  These benefit issues should be determined on a case by case basis at the time when it's relevant.

The point of the census though is that it's a snapshot (ie it's what's happening that particular day) so how does that apply?