English NFL team

Stifler

If the idea is to get English people to be interested in the NFL on a large scale, losing battle springs to mind.

I agree, I think over the years they have only ever had crowds of about 40,000 in Wembley, you get more fans watching the LDV Vans Trophy.

If the idea is to get English people to be interested in the NFL on a large scale, losing battle springs to mind.

I agree, I think over the years they have only ever had crowds of about 40,000 in Wembley, you get more fans watching the LDV Vans Trophy.

The last 3 years they've had a regular season game at Wembley, which has sold out each time. And they could probably a hell of a lot more if Wembley was larger. Often, this game is filled with fans of teams that aren't even playing at Wembley. Coming from around the UK.

A London Franchise would involve 8 or 9 home games per season. Quite achievable imo.

It's an event now though, I'm not sure whether the attendances could be sustained long-term.

I guess adding a British team to the NFL is better than trying to promote a British league. Also, it was interesting to hear last week that the distance from some US teams to London is actually less than for some of the away trips they already do.

It'll always be a niche sport here, but might be able to sustain 30,00 or so for 8 home games I suppose... if the team was competitive.

I think this has nothing to do with 'Football'.

It is, not real football, but still football.

Should be in Chat imo.

Yes this should certainly be in chat. NFL is a load of shite and nothing to do with football!

American Football is a different sport entirely to "real" football (and is viewed by many of us as a US version of Rugby with pads, helmets, and lots of breaks/timeouts). This forum is for "real" football, so American Football shouldn't be in here.

Should be in Chat imo.

Yes this should certainly be in chat. NFL is a load of s**** and nothing to do with football!

I'm gonna do it you know...I'm going to move it. I am. Just watch me, I'll move it. Yeah I will....

I'm not a keen fan of American Football but it would be nice to have an official NFL expansion team in the UK.  i think there would the fan base for it as well.  Not sure how it would work tho.

I'd love an NHL team in the UK but the road trips would be insane for the west coast teams.

This thread reminds me why I hate people.

;D i was thinkin the exact same thing man jesus....

Anyways i think it would be awesome but there are a couple of issues they'd have to deal with....obviously the travel would be pretty brutal....jet lag aint gonna be helpful. Secondly i'd imagine pretty much 97% of the team would be americans. Just like basketball the whole way the sports system in the states is...having a decent british NFL star would be almost impossible

If they could do it tho and pull it off....it would be AWESOME.

I went to a few Monarchs games when they were around. The problem with the 'world league' as it was then (NFL Europe nowadays) was that the standard was generally poor and relied  a lot on gimmicks (signing the fridge and having clive allen as a kicker). Although there is a fairly large following of NFL over here and accross mainland europe the quality was never good enough to convince people it was worth attending, especially when they can watch proper NFL from the comfort of their own home.

If the british team (presumably based in London) was to play against NFL teams and have a decent standard of players then I can see it gathering a following, but they would need to be succesful very early on or the fan base would lose interest.

Due to distances involved there is little or, in most cases, absolutely no travelling support in american sport, and it is more than likely that UK based fans of NFL teams would happily help fill the stadium when they come to play the UK 'franchise'. The teams are used to the long trips and I can't see it making any difference to the players where they play.

Bottom line is, it's down to money so if they think it will pay then it will happen. If it stops making money they'll pull the plug.