Is this bloke incredible, or what ?

Guest Phil K

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/video/British-Artist-Stephen-Wiltshire-Drawing-Whole-Of-New-York-Skyline-From-Memory-After-Helicopter-Ride/Video/200910415419946?lpos=video_News_in_Video_Home_Region_2&lid=VIDEO_15419946_British_Artist_Stephen_Wiltshire_Drawing_Whole_Of_New_York_Skyline_From_Memory_After_Helicopter_Ride

Drawing the New York skyline - FROM MEMORY.

Apparently autistic, but reading his blog, doesn't seem to affect him too much, but isn't it amazing what autistic people can do ? Showing the TRUE unlimited abilities locked away ?

Wow. and wow again.

Nice one, Stevey mate. O0

It's not like anyone is going to say its wrong though is it?

Picking on an Autistic is something no one really wants to do.

:lol:

:D Yeah. But I mean....mega wow....see the size of the canvas ? Another Caravaggio !

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/video/British-Artist-Stephen-Wiltshire-Drawing-Whole-Of-New-York-Skyline-From-Memory-After-Helicopter-Ride/Video/200910415419946?lpos=video_News_in_Video_Home_Region_2&lid=VIDEO_15419946_British_Artist_Stephen_Wiltshire_Drawing_Whole_Of_New_York_Skyline_From_Memory_After_Helicopter_Ride

Apparently autistic, but reading his blog, doesn't seem to affect him too much, but isn't it amazing what autistic people can do ? Showing the TRUE unlimited abilities locked away ?

Wow. and wow again.

We only use about 10% of our brains apparently.

It's odd that he can do it but I don't see the benefit, unless he's seen the amazon once on telly and gets stranded there and can walk his way out.

Whats the benefit of ANY art in that case ?

There was a good thread about modern art - tripe as 95% of it is, and this autistic bloke wipes the floor with all but a handful of them.

It's odd that he can do it but I don't see the benefit, unless he's seen the amazon once on telly and gets stranded there and can walk his way out.

It's not 'odd' it's a miracle.

Not really I've seen more impressive things.  Bloke that remembers every Postcode in the US.  You tell him a street, he tells you the postcode.

Not really I've seen more impressive things.  Bloke that remembers every Postcode in the US.  You tell him a street, he tells you the postcode.

Handy if you're sorting mail

Not much use otherwise.

Can't look at it can you ?

Not much use otherwise.

More useful than drwaing a picture when there are already millions of them out there, just they havent been drawn from memory.  Yes it's impressive but their are millions of stories like this about Autism.  Like the kid who had never touched a piano heard someone playing Mozart when they went out the room they returned to see him playing it flawlessly

Guest Stephen927

But how is someone reciting every post code impressive, when there are computers that tell you them all, so it's completely pointless, right?

Wow. and wow again.

We only use about 10% of our brains apparently.

http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/index.html?quid=1260

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/the_ten-percent_myth/

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

But how is someone reciting every post code impressive, when there are computers that tell you them all, so it's completely pointless, right?

yeah well like I said there are millions of pictures of the New York Skyline, its just as impressive.  Just because Postcode Guy isnt doing art with his skills doesn't mean its any less impressive.

Guest Stephen927

But why do we have to compare the two, they're both impressive. Postcode guy must have got some media coverage too for you to hear about him?

Theyre called Savants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome

Some literally have photographic memories.

I remember watching a programme on one whod flick through a book and skim his eyes over the pages quickly for a few seconds & finish the book in seconds that way. Having memorised the whole story. Think he was learning to memorise pi in that programme to.

Think he was learning to memorise pi in that programme to.

That's somewhat ambiguous, you can't 'memorise' pi, it's got an infinitely long string of decimals, being irrational.

Not much use otherwise.

More useful than drwaing a picture when there are already millions of them out there, just they havent been drawn from memory.  Yes it's impressive but their are millions of stories like this about Autism.  Like the kid who had never touched a piano heard someone playing Mozart when they went out the room they returned to see him playing it flawlessly

How ?

Knowing so many postal codes isn't of any use.

Like knowing how many Newcastle players have been used in any season

Big deal. So what.

A piece of art can be appreciated with the eyes numerous times.

Memorising as many decimal places of pi as possible then, whatever

Still going on - to x million places. Some computer was supposed to have solved it a few years ago, and was said to have been a hoax.

Not much use otherwise.

How ?

Knowing so many postal codes isn't of any use.

Like knowing how many Newcastle players have been used in any season

Big deal. So what.

A piece of art can be appreciated with the eyes numerous times.

Memorising as many decimal places of pi as possible then, whatever

Still going on - to x million places. Some computer was supposed to have solved it a few years ago, and was said to have been a hoax.

So can a painting of the skyline done in the normal fashion.

By this token, you'd say the Sistene Chapel ceiling painting by Michaelangelo was the same as a coating of white emulsion on a bathroom ceiling ?

Agreed change the thread title to "Are these blokes incredible or what?"

Because frankly, postcode bloke is a novelty. Steve is an adept, or as stated above, a savant.

By this token, you'd say the Sistene Chapel ceiling painting by Michaelangelo was the same as a coating of white emulsion on a bathroom ceiling ?

Agreed change the thread title to "Are these blokes incredible or what?"

Because frankly, postcode bloke is a novelty. Steve is an adept, or as stated above, a savant.

No because the sistine chapel is beatutiful and white emulsion is not, also Postcode guy is also a savant.

Wow. and wow again.

isn't it amazing what a very few autuistic peaople can do. the vast majority meanwhile would love a 'normal' life.