Hitch-hiking UK: Possible or Unpossible?

Keefaz

A friend is threatening to visit me and wants to hitch from Manchester. I've hitched with her a bit around Europe and she was basically the only reason we ever got a lift because who the fuck would pick me up? Anyway, I honestly don't think I've ever seen a hitch-hiker in Britain. Thoughts?

I think it's apossible TBH, very rarely seen it done.

Saying that I did pass a couple of student charity hitchhikers at service station a couple of months ago. I wanted to pick them up, as one was a 'hottie', but my car only has one passenger seat so I had to pass. Was gutted about that.

I'm pretty sure there are a few N-O folk based in Manchester. Just get them to give her a lift to the toon? Otherwise she'll definitely get raped. The chances of rape by a N-O member must be 10 to 15% less.

Guest toonlass

Saw a bloke last week when I was driving back from Leeds on the roundabout to join the M1 with a bit of cardboard with A1 written on it. Didn't pick him up like. Saw something on a shite tv programme about following football teams away where some bloke went to all of Sheffield United's away games by hitchhiking.

Hitchhiking

Hitchhiking is not illegal in the UK, although hitchhiking on motorways is against the law.  However, the British are very aware of personal safety and the risks involved in picking up hitchhikers.  This can result in a long wait for a lift.  You as a hitchhiker should also be mindful of the risks involved.  Here are some tips on safer hitching:

Travel with a friend: You are getting into a car with a stranger. You can't be too careful, especially if you're female, so it is recommended that you hitchhike in pairs. It may mean you're less likely to get picked up straight away, but at least you've put your safety first.

Tell someone: Inform them where you're going and an approximate time of returning. Carry a mobile telephone if you can and if possible make a note of the number plate of the vehicle and text it to someone you know.

Keep your wits about you: Don't hitchhike if you have been drinking or anything else that has affected your physical or mental state.

If in doubt, turn it down: If a car pulls up and you don't like the look of the driver, or the way he/she behaves, then politely decline the offer of a lift. Trust your instincts. It is also a good idea to take a local map, just in case you are dropped off in an unfamiliar area.  You cannot be too cautious.

A friend is threatening to visit me and wants to hitch from Manchester. I've hitched with her a bit around Europe and she was basically the only reason we ever got a lift because who the f*** would pick me up? Anyway, I honestly don't think I've ever seen a hitch-hiker in Britain. Thoughts?

Stop being tight and pay for a train or bus for her.  Or tell her to pay, its not that expensive.

Ask yourself if your friend is worth 50 quid?  If she died and you saved 50 quid how would you feel?

Guest Stephen927

A friend is threatening to visit me and wants to hitch from Manchester. I've hitched with her a bit around Europe and she was basically the only reason we ever got a lift because who the f*** would pick me up? Anyway, I honestly don't think I've ever seen a hitch-hiker in Britain. Thoughts?

Stop being tight and pay for a train or bus for her.  Or tell her to pay, its not that expensive.

Ask yourself if your friend is worth 50 quid?  If she died and you saved 50 quid how would you feel?

Well when your unemployed thats a bit of a steep price to pay to be fair. Hell, I work and I wouldn't pay that.

Well when your unemployed thats a bit of a steep price to pay to be fair. Hell, I work and I wouldn't pay that.

Megabus. £6.50 incl. Booking Fee.

Gorilla's right like, the Megabus from London to Newcastle is well cheap and I've just had a look at Manchester-Newcastle and it'd be about £6 each way.

Fuck off, please.

Guest Stephen927

Aye, tell her to get on a Megabus.

Hitchhiking must be pretty safe, I don't often hear about people getting killed that way so it's fine.

Well if she can be arsed you can get a megabus for 6 quid each way.

f*** off, please.

Calm down, personally I just wouldn't let a female friend hitchhike, its dangerous as fook and what happens if she gets dropped somewhere she has and cant get another lift.

Guest Stephen927

Well £6 is a bit better than £50, I would pay that.

Just say if you're desperate for me to slip you a length, it's a chance you're just gonna have to take doll.

So what would be the appropriate fee for picking up a HH?

I'm after all paying for the petrol, providing warmth, travel and music to listen to.

Fiver? Tenner? Blowjob?

Some scary fucking bloke picked me up once and, about five minutes down the road, told me he was a drug dealer and opened his glove box to show bags full of weed. And then the cheeky twat asked me for some money for taking me to Marseille. I gave him, I think, one Euro, and he dropped me off in the biggest shithole you've ever seen.

Trade plate drivers hitch hike all the time dont they?

What the hell does that mean????

People who deliver hire cars and such, they will drive the car to somewhere and hitch hike home cause they dont get paid travel expenses.