Unfortunately the penny dropped...

Dokko

What we all feared would happen has happened, Ashley has realised that with some minor investment he can guarantee passage back to the Premiership at minimal cost, meaning any offer for the club now pales in comparison to an offer next year when we're back in the Premiership. I know people are worried about what happens when we get there, we've got Hughton for the first year, but tbh, we would have him on the wage bill anyway as a coach. Hughton isn't actually getting any more money, he's getting the same or to be compensated his original contract if sacked as manager. Ashley refused the £60+£20m offer because he knows that extra £20m at the end of the season spent now turns us in to division champions with a bit of brains, and turns us back in to a premier club and the reset button pressed.

Next year doesn't matter to Ashley in terms of what could happen as he'll be selling the club as quickly as he can, a club totally stripped down in terms of wages and players, a strong 40k crowd in a lesser division only to be bettered back in the Prem, a one with a relatively low overdraft compared to the division, and one churning in money from new long term sponsors including naming rights for the ground, all this equals an excellent position for a new owner to come in and buy us. It's just like buying a run down house and doing it up with stuff from no frills to sell on later, that's really all we are to Ashley.

I do not expect us to be sold in the public realm, next time it will be private, the deal will be done quickly and he will be gone, i expect him touting the club about to potential owners (who will probably be different to the ones we had at the final hurdle this time, probably ones who were interested but there was too much uncertainty or didn't find the club glamorous enough to be a big boys toy (ie rich Arabs)) as soon as we secure promotion and pass off any leaks as rumours.

This new news is only delaying the inevitable, Ashley will leave, just it's going to take longer than we all hoped and it will mean he'll get his money back, or more of it, £20m is a lot of money in this division, not all of it will be spent on players but even £5-10m would improve the team no end and get us firing again. Players on big wages will leave as well, replaced hopefully with better more marketable players, I know everyone is thinking none of it will be spent on players and i can totally understand this reasoning but Ashley would be throwing £20m down the drain if he doesn't, and we know he was putting £20m in a year of his own money to keep the club afloat, but it doesn't take £20m to see us through to the summer, if so creditors would be knocking on the door right now wanting some kind of security from Ashley, and we'd have known about it.

Ashley has to now run us like a normal football club until the summer to make lots of money, it's that simple, i think even he gets it and why he's been rejecting the bids as the season has gone on. It doesn't take a genius to see were begging for some fresh legs, and even on the ones we've got were still a force in this division and will be near the top even with all this drama going on.

I've no doubt if we'd been lingering bottom mid table (which tbf could have easily happened with some of our performances) Ashley would have sold to Moat and this would all be over, he's that reactionary, but looks like were stuck with him and its down to our decent start, but don't fear it won't last forever, he's just wised up a bit, and seen an easy option to get his money back, and we'd all had done the same...in fact we all thought he should have done it like that to start with.  :angry:

If you think one penny of that non-existent £20m will be spent on players you should be carted away in a strait jacket.

It makes absolutely no sense that he'd do that and risk losing more money, if he didn't want to invest to get us promoted he'd had sold the club to Moat.

He's had two options all along, he's gone with the other.

I hate this, but bearing in mind the club's situation and the economy it would be madness to sell us now for a reduced price. I hoped he would do it, but I'm not surprised he isn't.

We can limp on till xmas, hopefully get some players back, then restructure the squad making sure its good enough to secure promotion. Then the gamble of keeping the club on is gone.

It's that simple.

It makes absolutely no sense that he'd do that and risk losing more money...

:no:

About 100 shit decisions have been made since we first started saying this.

He's wanted out right for some time? He was given that option by Moat, he's refused it because he sees what Moat has seen all along, an easy shot at getting the club back in to the Prem and back in to the big money.

Ashley has decided that he wants to do it, then to call it quits at a price nearer to what he paid.

The thing is Ashley probably thinks he'll be able to ask for an even more ridiculous price for the club if promoted. It doesn't work like that, simply due to the amount of investment the club will most definitely need on the pitch to even compete at that level.

If you think one penny of that non-existent £20m will be spent on players you should be carted away in a strait jacket.

It makes absolutely no sense that he'd do that and risk losing more money, if he didn't want to invest to get us promoted he'd had sold the club to Moat.

The same man who took another 10m out of the club in January to ensure relegation when a modest investment would all but have prevented it?

The man is an imbecile.

The same man who took another 10m out of the club in January to ensure relegation when a modest investment would all but have prevented it?

The man is an imbecile.

Like I said in the original post, I can fully understand why you'd think none of the money will be spent on players, your argument there fully backing it up. But I feel enough is enough, this time it is going to happen and this is all a means to an end.

FFS man, 20 million being invested in the club??? Really, I mean really?

Derek Llambias is still MD, the most hated man after Ashley himself by the fans.

Surely if he wants to get back on side with "his customers" then a way forward might be to fuck DL off. 

Cant see 20 mil being spent on the side.

20 mil, over 20 seasons?

The man is an imbecile.

Where did he take £10m out?

Not wishing to defend Mike at all (even I now realise he's a cunt)... but how did he take 10m out of the club?

Given + N'Zogbia transfers - I think I was the only one on the "how much we will spend" thread to say He'd make a profit - what an unbelieveible concept.

It might net out at more like 6 or 7 but the point is the whole window was approached with an intention to make money.

Given and N'Zogbia wanting to leave was a convenient smokescreen

Given + N'Zogbia transfers - I think I was the only one on the "how much we will spend" thread to say He'd make a profit - what an unbelieveible concept.

It might net out at more like 6 or 7 but the point is the whole window was approached with an intention to make money.

But he took this money out of the club?

He may not have done but we don't know that he didn't pay off any of the debt owed to him using that money.

Guest neesy111

no but it cost him even more, if had spent 10m on 2 extra midfielders for example then we would of stayed up, and he could of sold the club for what he wanted (within reason) this summer

He may not have done but we don't know that he didn't pay off any of the debt owed to him using that money.

That was my point, there's nothing to suggest he has taken the money out, which was what the poster said had happened.  More likely it's been pissed away on running costs IMO, particularly if he's having to stick in another £20m anyway to keep it running this week.

There's also a good chance they haven't received very much of the money from the 2 transfers yet as well.

no but it cost him even more, if had spent 10m on 2 extra midfielders for example then we would of stayed up, and he could of sold the club for what he wanted (within reason) this summer

Correct, I'm not disputing that, it's the notion that the money was "taken out" which I'm querying.

The club was and is being run on a daily basis via the overdraft. Since there was no mention of the clubs debt to him being repaid that money disappeared as far as I'm concerned - to the same black hole as all of the summer transfer money.

Yes, he did.

I'd be willing to bet that this £20m he's putting in is purely to cover wages til May. He's not 'investing' the cash, he's just keeping us ticking over in the hope we can continue to spawn our way to promotion.

Also, if he were to get a decent bid for the club in the next few months he'd sell us in a heartbeat. Officially we're off the market but if someone waves £80m in front of him he'd snap their hands off.