The Event; How Racist Are You?

Heron

Anyone watch this last night?

I enjoyed watching it and I thought it was an interesting way of dealing with racism. However, I think it was an innappropriate way of dealing with every day people.

If the programme had have been done with ex-convicts who had formerly been locked up or charged for racist crimes then I think this would have been a good way of making them change their ways. However, because it was people off the street alot of them are actually quite anti-racist and the study didn't quite show any of the balance.

I personally think that because of the woman coming from America and being born in the late 50's, she had experienced alot of bad racism (anti-black) and I understand why this made her passionate about driving racism away. On the other hand to tar all white people as conditioned to be racist before they're born is totally contradictory and stupid to say the least.

I'm actually totally against racism, despite sharing a racist joke from time to time. The fact of the matter is, I joke about everyone, I'd make jokes about honky's if it was a funny one. Yet in this programme, I found that the Black lady in particular was quite ignorant when speaking to the White Brown eyed girl. They seemed to think that because of some bad experiences of racism everyone is like that, when it's blatantly a minority.

All in all I think it painted a very innaccurate picture, an ignorant picture, and I personally don't believe that modern day Britain is such a "racist" place.

What are your views if you watched it?

Is it available online anywhere?

Overall, I don't think people can be blamed for being instinctively a bit racist, it's how animals work - tribal and a bit frightened of things that are different. The key is we need to use our reasoning minds to rise above that.

It was channel 4 so I'm guessing it will be 'On Demand' or possibly found on the net.

It was a fairly bizarre outcome - one of the White Brown Eyed lasses jeapordised the study though because the final stage included a test where the blue eyed people got cheated. The other group had 50% of the answers provided and then the brown eyed white lass told everyone when she wasn't supposed to.

All in all, it was said that Britain still has alot of racism issues but it is very subtle and very much an underlying problem.

I kind of agree with that, but there was no room for discussion, and this view was pretty much told to the viewer as opposed to suggested. This also took no consideration into racism against white people, and white peoples views, other than the wifey. It's probably better to watch it all through like, but it was a typically controversial programme from channel 4.

Finished.

The most surprising thing was how the white people started denying that racism existed or saying that they had faced just as much discrimination because they were fat etc. I really thought that people had more ability to empathise with others.

I mean, fair enough say 'I'm not racist', but to suggest that it isn't a major problem and that skin colour still doesn't disadvantage people in Britain (in the face of a load of people telling you it is and does) was a bit of a shock.

I suppose the fact that I believe racism is a natural instinct means I don't judge people for the type of racism that comes out of ignorance (calling people 'coloured' because you don't know any better etc). But to continue with those beliefs when you have the opportunity to learn otherwise is a massive shame.

Finished.

The most surprising thing was how the white people started denying that racism existed or saying that they had faced just as much discrimination because they were fat etc. I really thought that people had more ability to empathise with others.

I mean, fair enough say 'I'm not racist', but to suggest that it isn't a major problem and that skin colour still doesn't disadvantage people in Britain (in the face of a load of people telling you it is and does) was a bit of a shock.

I suppose the fact that I believe racism is a natural instinct means I don't judge people for the type of racism that comes out of ignorance (calling people 'coloured' because you don't know any better etc). But to continue with those beliefs when you have the opportunity to learn otherwise is a massive shame.

Well idepends how often you come across it, I cant think of any situations where race has come into it in my life.    The white people may have never seen it, in the work work place so from their point of view society isn't racist.

I was shocked when the host of the session asked the black girl to stand up and she was saying how she could be in a queue in a shop and a white girl would serve a white family first.  I've never come across that and would be shocked to tand in a queue and watch it happen.

I can only comment from my point of view and I can say i;ve ever seen anything like it.

Finished.

Well idepends how often you come across it, I cant think of any situations where race has come into it in my life.    The white people may have never seen it, in the work work place so from their point of view society isn't racist.

I was shocked when the host of the session asked the black girl to stand up and she was saying how she could be in a queue in a shop and a white girl would serve a white family first.  I've never come across that and would be shocked to tand in a queue and watch it happen.

I can only comment from my point of view and I can say i;ve ever seen anything like it.

I know what you're saying, and you've got a decent point.

But you can't just see things from your point of view, can you? (I don't mean just you BTW, I mean 'one'). You can listen and read and be told about what other people have experienced, and make a decent stab at thinking about what it must be like for them.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I thought the social experiment was a good concept, however it completely failed with that group of people. They didn't understand the purpose of the exercise for the most part and I think a lot of them showed themselves up as very ignorant.

The ones professing that racism didn't exist were cringe worthy and deluded.

On the other hand to tar all white people as conditioned to be racist before they're born is totally contradictory and stupid to say the least.

No it isn't. She said specifically people are conditioned to the idea of 'white superiority'. It is hard to argue with that if you look at social-economic issues and how they affect black/white people differently.

Yet in this programme, I found that the Black lady in particular was quite ignorant when speaking to the White Brown eyed girl. They seemed to think that because of some bad experiences of racism everyone is like that, when it's blatantly a minority.

Completely disagree and it seems you missed the point of the social experiment like most of those participating in it. This was about institutional racism. The 'White Brown eyed girl' completely missed the point of the exercise, didn't understand it was a role playing exercise and played a large part in rendering that particular exercise defunct. If she wasn't prepared to play along with a role for half a day, she should have left rather than ruin the whole thing, however she was too thick to understand what she was doing.

All in all I think it showed the people to be very ignorant of racism, and it also displayed a lot of British characteristics, people unable to operate out of their comfort zone and having a self entitled feeling of 'I'm right about everything' (that school teacher woman in particular).

It's a real shame because the woman conducting the experiment had good intentions and was ultimately misunderstood.

Finished.

I know what you're saying, and you've got a decent point.

But you can't just see things from your point of view, can you? (I don't mean just you BTW, I mean 'one'). You can listen and read and be told about what other people have experienced, and make a decent stab at thinking about what it must be like for them.

Yeah, like i said, i was totally shocked when the black girl was talking about being served after a white family.

Totally shocked that this till goes on.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Is this worth 4ODing?

No. The experiment failed and it was a missed opportunity and a waste of time ultimately, shame.

I thought the social experiment was a good concept, however it completely failed with that group of people. They didn't understand the purpose of the exercise for the most part and I think a lot of them showed themselves up as very ignorant.

The ones professing that racism didn't exist were cringe worthy and deluded.

On the other hand to tar all white people as conditioned to be racist before they're born is totally contradictory and stupid to say the least.

No it isn't. She said specifically people are conditioned to the idea of 'white superiority'. It is hard to argue with that if you look at social-economic issues and how they affect black/white people differently.

Yet in this programme, I found that the Black lady in particular was quite ignorant when speaking to the White Brown eyed girl. They seemed to think that because of some bad experiences of racism everyone is like that, when it's blatantly a minority.

Completely disagree and it seems you missed the point of the social experiment like most of those participating in it. This was about institutional racism. The 'White Brown eyed girl' completely missed the point of the exercise, didn't understand it was a role playing exercise and played a large part in rendering that particular exercise defunct. If she wasn't prepared to play along with a role for half a day, she should have left rather than ruin the whole thing, however she was too thick to understand what she was doing.

All in all I think it showed the people to be very ignorant of racism, and it also displayed a lot of British characteristics, people unable to operate out of their comfort zone and having a self entitled feeling of 'I'm right about everything' (that school teacher woman in particular).

It's a real shame because the woman conducting the experiment had good intentions and was ultimately misunderstood.

She also said that White people were conditioned to believe that from birth which isn't true and is a vast stereotype in itself. She then went on to say something along the lines of "in fact no, I would say that even before birth they are conditioned to believe that." If that's the case is she trying to say that as White people we are genetically formed to be ignorant/believers in White supremicism?

The test itself was designed to look at racism issues in Britain, so for me to say they've not even considered a White person in South Africa or Pakistan or wherever would probably be a pointless argument. However, in the debrief (which they may have done) they should have been able to question the lady and where she has tried this method. This should also have been shown. Otherwise to me it seems like quite a narrow-minded, out-dated investigation.

We are in a predominantly White country, and there is racism. I can only speak from my point of view and I've never ever seen the whole Black person in a queue thing...and to be quite frank I'd not be impressed if I did witness it. As you said I cannot just see the issue from my personal experiences though..on the other hand that's what the Black people who spoke up in the exercise did, talked only about their personal experiences. Then when the White Brown Eyed woman tried to do the same she was shot down in flames.

I agree she was maybe a bit naive in doing what she did, and should have stuck it out - as should the others. She did destroy the whole thing to a certain degree, but what I did realise was that out of the participants it was the younger looking participants who were speaking less defensively, they were non-aggressive and they were promoting choice and freedom - they left. In my opinion it is a sign that modern Britain is changing and is becoming a more inter-cultural place with less racism happening. The older fuckers were getting really uptight about it, but understandably so.

I've never been racially abused, so this is probably a bit irrelevant too, but to me you get bullied, picked on or ridiculed for what you look like. Just about everyone does at some point in their life. To ridicule people for something they cannot change is obviously harsh. So what about people if they have loads of freckles if they get called spotty cunts. What if you have big lugs and you constantly get ridiculed for that? What about if you have a massive shneck or one leg and your going to get called Eagle boy or peg leg all your life?

The issue is a sensitive one, but in my eyes a Black man can be a nigger, a white man can be a honkey, a chinese man could be yellow, a Frenchman could be a froggie, a Jew could be a Yid, a Catholic could be a paedophile, a Scouser could be a thief and a Cockney could be a wanker who eats jellied eels - you name it the list goes on. Nevertheless, they're all ridiculous stereotypes that we all live and die by.

Anyhoo, probably totally unstructured response but y'kna, something for you to get your teeth stuck into... O0

Heza, you've missed the point with what exactly racism is. Its not just the use of racial abuse against someone, its the way in which people/institutions act against a certain race that may hamper their oppurtunities/well being and general state of mind. I'd much rather be called a 'paki' or a 'black bastard' than for example getting passed over at a promotion or something because of the colour of my skin. You don't get that with people with freckles, or with ginger hair (in most cases, there probably will be something out there which proves that to be wrong). There is no anti-ginger political parties such as the NF who have proper hatred for non-white people.

What gets me is when white people IN THIS COUNTRY say they are just as much victims of racism in this country as ethnic-minorities. Quite a few white people probably have been called a honkey, milk bottle etc... But they will not suffer institutional racism on anywhere near the scale that many non-whites will. They just miss the point, as clearly shown by the oldish woman on that programme.

One thing is though, I honestly don't think Britain is that bad from my experiences, I'm half-cast and honestly can't say theres been much racism directed at me other than a few random incidents by clearly ignorant bastard. Being what I am has slightly opened my eyes to what racism is actually about as I'm interested in the topic, as it could effect my future life. However my first name is Daniel, I am not a muslim/hindu/seek and don't really look half asian. If that was different however, who knows.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Heza, you've missed the point with what exactly racism is. Its not just the use of racial abuse against someone, its the way in which people/institutions act against a certain race that may hamper their oppurtunities/well being and general state of mind.

I explained that to him and he still didn't get it. Just like the people on the programme.

'I'm a bit fat I get discriminated against!' :facepalm:

Guest Geordiesned

I watched this and found myself getting quite annoyed at how stupid some of the people were. When some of them were going on about the American women being very rude to them and there no need for it I was shouting at the telly, "that's the fucking point you stupid cow! That's how she wants you to feel!" It just seemed that some of them were too dense to realise what the experiment was all about. The clips from other shows she'd done in other countries showed that the premise can work but it has to be said that was largely in countries that had had a recognised racism problem: America, Australia, South Africa. The general denial of large sections of people in this country that racism is or ever has been a problem here meant that there would always be problems carrying out the experiment here. That said, it still managed to expose that sour faced white hag as a racist cow. "I'm not racist. In fact I am disgusted by racism. But I have to admit that when I saw a black girl fall over and scrape her face on the pavement and her flesh was pink I was really surprised!" (or words to that effect) Unbelievable!