Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN: Campbell eyes move to Newcastle United by Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

( Link: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=691372&sec=england&cc=4716 )

Newcastle United are one of the preferred destinations for Sol Campbell when he settles his dispute with Notts County and is finally able to sign for a new club.

The former Tottenham, Arsenal, and Portsmouth star managed just one game for Notts County before he quit, but is ready to look at all his options - including one at a north-east outpost after only playing for big southern-based clubs.

ESPN Soccernet can reveal that Campbell has had talks with Newcastle's Chris Hughton, who has been installed as the club's permanent boss. With owner Mike Ashley set to release extra funds there will be the finance to recruit the former England defender, who will be a free agent once he has untied himself from his deal with Notts County.

Campbell told ESPN Soccernet on Friday morning: "I have been approached by several clubs, and yes, it is correct to say that Newcastle are one of them.

"People might be surprised to hear me say that I would be very interested in a move there, but I have my reasons. Also, Newcastle are a big club and could be heading back to the Premier League. It appeals."

West Brom are also in the hunt for Campbell, who has ruled out any move to Switzerland. He added: "I had an approach from FC Basle around thee months ago, before I went to Notts County, but then their manager Christian Gross was sacked. I also had an approach from Young Boys of Switzerland, but at the age of 35, perhaps Young Boys was not the right move! Seriously, they play on astroturf, also train on astroturf, so this was not for me."

Campbell has now firmed up his intention to go to a Football League tribunal to resolve his bitter dispute with Notts County - first revealed this week by ESPN Soccernet.

Campbell said on Friday morning: "I have spoken with Gordon Taylor and he will impress upon the League the urgency of the case and try to make a tribunal hearing a priority. If we can sort it all out at the tribunal I would hope to be playing within weeks from now.

"I am training every day with Arsenal, feel fit, as fit as ever, and now I really need some matches. But to sort out the mess at Notts County, a Football League tribunal seems to be the only way out."

His partner is from the North East, isn't she? That may be the reason he's talking about.

I've no idea what his level of fitness is like, or his mental state. But if they're okay, then he'd be a good addition.

Well he's keeping fit at Arsenal at the moment so i presume he should be alright i can't imagine Arsene Wenger letting him hang around being a hinderance! He's employed 2 of his own fitness staff also to work with him at London Colney!

Step backwards at this point unfortunately. He isn't good enough to start and would probably hurt team morale with his attitude problems.

i think he'd walk into the team myself

Take it you didn't see him at all last season then? He's nowhere good enough to replace Taylor or Coloccini.

Step backwards at this point unfortunately. He isn't good enough to start and would probably hurt team morale with his attitude problems.

Take it you didn't see him at all last season then? He's nowhere good enough to replace Taylor or Coloccini.

He might have to when one or both are sold in January.

Would be a good signing, especially considering how shit we are when Taylor and Colo are out.

Exactly, he's a risk, but anyone who'd have Zurab and Simpson at CB ahead of one of the most experienced players in the world is mental imo.

and when they're out? see how bad our defence has become when we're missing both of them. Campbell would add cover and competition for a first team spot which is only a good thing

Guest Stephen927

I say we tell him to f*** off. Saw the pound signs and easy life at Notts County in August, tell him where to go I reckon.

Did we offer him a deal in August? I remember him being spotted at St James Park taking in a home game.