Cannabis row drugs adviser sacked

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Guest Alan Shearer 9

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8334774.stm

The UK's chief drugs adviser has been sacked by Home Secretary Alan Johnson because he's not a cunt who lies and distorts the harmful effects of drugs to suit a political agenda.

Professor David Nutt, head of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, criticised the decision to reclassify cannabis to Class B from C.

He accused ministers of devaluing and distorting evidence and said drugs classification was being politicised.

The home secretary said he had "lost confidence" in his advice and asked him to step down.

The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) is the UK's official drugs advisory body.

Government 'message'

Following his sacking, Prof Nutt told the BBC he stood by his claim that cannabis should not be a Class B drug, based on its effects.

He described his sacking as a "serious challenge to the value of science in relation to the government".

And he denied that he had been trying to undermine the government's policies on drugs.

"To be honest, all I was trying to do was help," he said, adding that he was not prepared to "mislead" the public about the effects of drugs in order to convey a moral "message" on the government's behalf.

Earlier this week Prof Nutt used a lecture at King's College, London, to attack what he called the "artificial" separation of alcohol and tobacco from illegal drugs.

The professor said smoking cannabis created only a "relatively small risk" of psychotic illness, and claimed those who advocated moving ecstasy into Class B had "won the intellectual argument".

If scientists are not allowed to engage in the debate at this interface then you devalue their contribution to policy making

Prof David Nutt

Public concern over the links between high-strength cannabis, known as skunk, and mental illness led the government to reclassify cannabis to Class C last year.

In the past, Prof Nutt has also claimed that taking ecstasy is no more dangerous than riding a horse.

In a letter, the home secretary wrote: "I cannot have public confusion between scientific advice and policy and have therefore lost confidence in your ability to advise me as Chair of the ACMD.

"I would therefore ask you to step down from the Council with immediate effect."

In his reply, Prof Nutt said he was "disappointed" by the sentiments expressed by Mr Johnson.

He added: "Whilst I accept that there is a distinction between scientific advice and government policy there is clearly a degree of overlap.

"If scientists are not allowed to engage in the debate at this interface then you devalue their contribution to policy making and undermine a major source of carefully considered and evidence-based advice."

:facepalm:

We're still 100 years away from being able to have a sensible debate about drugs in this country.

http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/mackey.png

This ^^^^ :lol:

What's the point in having expert advisors if you sack them if you don't like their findings and professional advice?

What's the point in having expert advisors if you can't sack them when you need a convenient political scapegoat or non-news story?

When in doubt, consult the Daily Mash... :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

ECSTACY IS MENTAL, SAYS DRUGS CZAR

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/ecstacy-is-mental%2c-says-drugs-czar-200910302184/

THE government's chief advisor on drugs has described his first Ecstasy experience as 'utterly, utterly mental'.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/images/stories/nutt.jpg

Professor Nutt is filled with warm, pulsating love

Professor David Nutt and a group of his colleagues from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs were at a house party in Dalston when they were approached by a ponytailed man in a leather effect coat offering 'Fido Didos' at £2 each or six for a tenner.

Professor Nutt said: "We were just at that moment discussing how ironic it was that none of us had ever taken recreational drugs. Plus we were a bit pissed.

"Despite my reservations about the effects of MDMA use on long-term mental health the music soon started to sound awesome.

"I asked the DJ what it was and he said, 'progressive house'. I was like, 'get out of town geezer, progressive house is totally my favourite music ever' despite having previously been a huge fan of the Everly Brothers.

"As I danced I felt like me and the music were one, or perhaps more accurately that the music was being beamed directly into my brain by benevolent space creatures who wanted to show me the magnificent beauty of my inner universe."

He added: "We met some people from Liverpool who instantly became our best friends. One of them, a former squaddie, gave me a back massage as we talked about our favourite sunsets.

"Then we all got into a car, still off our tits, and drove to a techno all-dayer in a disused meat packing factory that'd been squatted by rave anarchists.

"I was like, 'I'm ringing Tony Blair, they can't ban this, it's amazing'. But then my chief researcher was like 'it's Gordon Brown now, duh' and we all laughed at how spanked I was."

However, Professor Nutt admitted he has since had reservations about the drug, adding: "On the following Tuesday I had a massive whitey while chairing a meeting of the world's leading pharmacologists and had to sit in my car with my head in my hands, listening to Jeremy Vine at a very low volume.

"Nevertheless I think Es should be downgraded from Class A to something that gets put in drinking water. Also I've got a new tattoo of a dolphin against a fractal background which looks really special."

I heard about this today.  Fucking typical of this government.  They'll employ a top professor and parade him about as the 'voice of knowledge' on the subject then sack him as soon as he comes out with something they don't like the sound of. Wankers.

But Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said the decision to sack the adviser had been "disgraceful".

"What is the point of having independent scientific advice if as soon as you get some advice that you don't like, you sack the person who has given it to you?" he said.

Mr Huhne said if the government did not want to take expert scientific advice, it might as well have "a committee of tabloid newspaper editors to advise on drugs policy"

Don't usually agree with the liberal but that made me laugh.

I'm not a fan of doing drugs, but if they want to have a serious debate, they need to remove alcohol and cigarettes from their own special zone and classify them properly, with everything else.

I heard about this today.  f***ing typical of this government.  They'll employ a top professor and parade him about as the 'voice of knowledge' on the subject then sack him as soon as he comes out with something they don't like the sound of. Wankers.

They should of stayed well clear of this fella as a few googles & click on other links show it is more than likely this cunt may be hiding behind "seeker of truth justice" sword when he is nothing more than stoogie & shareholder of the drug companies who would more than likely be knocking out your supper taxed pills. 

If you really have nowt better to do some articles that mention Nutt

http://seroxatsecrets.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/seroxat-does-not-work-in-majority-of-depressed-patients-says-latest-study-prof-nutt-disagrees/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2003/mar/17/mentalhealth.politics

Also worth remembering who will making your making your drugs if they become legal

http://www.channel4.com/news/microsites/M/mark_thomas/2/1.html

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Nutt has not said anything about legalising drugs in this row, merely that the government rejected scientific information that indicated cannabis should remain a Class C drug.

Nutt has not said anything about legalising drugs in this row, merely that the government rejected scientific information that indicated cannabis should remain a Class C drug.

Do you know what quantities were used in him putting together his scientific info? Are we talking one disco biscuit to a night on the razz? A tobacco free spliff V 20 Benson hedges?

Personally I am all for them to remain illegal & be tax free.

Do you know what quantities were used in him putting together his scientific info? Are we talking one disco biscuit to a night on the razz? A tobacco free spliff V 20 Benson hedges?

I think it's all about relative usage. Getting off your tits on weed or an E is nowhere near as bad for your health as getting pissed out of your head.

Being out of your tree every night, whatever your poison, is not good for you.

I think it's all about relative usage. Getting off your tits on weed or an E is nowhere near as bad for your health as getting pissed out of your head.

The kidz these days can be just as much wankers on Gary Abletts (that just fot you  O0) as getting drunk i.e check how happy Cream was back in the day & how it was towards the end of its weekly run & the crowd boshing it at it one off parties.

If drugs were legal it would demystify them allowing a large percentage of users who probably are not that into them to not bother doing them and instead allow those that like them to do them without being hassled by the man.

The kidz these days can be just as much wankers on Gary Abletts (that just fot you  O0) as getting drunk i.e check how happy Cream was back in the day & how it was towards the end of its weekly run & the crowd boshing it at it one off parties.

How true. What a wanker you must be if even a couple of Garys don't make you want to get along with your fellow man.