Do you still use DVDs?

Decky

I dont mean all together, I mean if theres a new movie or TV show out, do you buy the DVD or do you just download it onto a hard drive? In terms of dvds for myself, I havent bought one in about 2 years. I can definitely see DVDs being obsolete in about 15 years when before even the thought of that seemed ridiculous.

Yeah I do, nothing like watching them on big TV screen with a good sound system. Anyway they are so cheap here in China,  I mean for an older movie I pay one euro and for the latest movies I pay two euros and the quality is excellent.

I really kinda resent the pace of technological change sometimes. This culture of constant upgrading to a "better" technology, only for it to be made obsolete days later. It's a ball-ache. :dave:

I really kinda resent the pace of technological change sometimes. This culture of constant upgrading to a "better" technology, only for it to be made obsolete days later. It's a ball-ache. :dave:

Said in a true Victor Meldrew manner.  :razz:

I'm completely opposite in that respects, I love technology changes, it's the only thing i'll miss when I'm dead, I'll be gutted at what i never managed to experience.

DVD quality is good enough for me. On the rare occasion I do buy a DVD I tend to get it very cheaply (£5 or less) from a Supermarket around 6 months after initial release. I think Blu-Rays will be the last physical storage format and it won't be as popular as DVD is with the public. Faster broadband, cheaper hard drives, cheaper and smaller flash memory, etc. mean the end for physical formats just like an internet connection killed off the need for a 3.5" floppy drive in computers.

internet connection killed off the need for a 3.5" floppy drive in computers.

I'm too young to remember this so can I ask how that happened?

How old are you like? The floppy disc drive only died out by the end of the 1990s.

Anyway, a 3.5" floppy only held 1.44 megabytes of data. Once people having Internet connections became the norm, it was more economical for companies to provide software patches and the like only via the internet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2905953.stm

How old are you like? The floppy disc drive only died out by the end of the 1990s.

Anyway, a 3.5" floppy only held 1.44 megabytes of data. Once you had an Internet connection, it was more economical for software patches and the like to only be available via the internet.

I'm only gone 18. Ah right, that makes sense alright.

Anyway, a 3.5" floppy only held 1.44 megabytes of data. Once people having Internet connections became the norm, it was more economical for companies to provide software patches and the like only via the internet.

5"ers were the real floppys man. Still got an external one somewhere at me mam and dads along with a BBC green screen.

I haven't bought a movie in years. It's not because I'm downloading dozens of films off the internet though. I've had Netflix for some time now and I just use them to scratch my movie itch. However, I find myself less and less interested in actually having them mail me DVD's, opting instead to just use the instant viewing service.

5"ers were the real floppys man. Still got an external one somewhere at me mam and dads along with a BBC green screen.

:( Happy days.