The season so far...

ChezGiven

so far, better results than expected, worse performances than expected. hopefully there is better to come from the squad we have (and personally i think there is), otherwise we'll get caught out. you can't go on turning in poor performances and getting away with it.

I think the results have raised people's expectations about performances. Gradually expectations have changed since August. Not sure why like.

At the start of the season, we werent seriously expecting imperious displays from Nolan, Smith, Jonas etc?

not imperious but better than what they've been turing out.

The only anomaly of this season for me is Scunthorpe.

Blackpool are brilliant at home, Bristol City, QPR and Forest are all in-form teams and promotion contenders.

the performances against sheff weds,leicester,bristol city (whom when we played them were coming off a run of 3 draws, 1 defeat, 1 win...hardly in form),were poor and we couldn't have complained has sheff weds and leicester had taken a point off us.

City are up to 5th and only 3 points off an automatic promotion place, therefore they are one of the form sides of the league at the moment. Did well to beat Leicester, they've had a great run too (since they are 4th), we never looked like losing to Sheff weds either.

they are one of the form teams at the moment but weren't when we played them. it's the nature of this division that teams will go on those sort of runs then runs of defeats.

we never looked like losing to sheff weds but they had some very clear chances in the second half and could easily have got a point.

They are if you judge form over 15 games.

they've won 6 out of fifteen. hardly anything to get worked up over.

Lost less than us.

thats why you get more points for winning.

Anyway, the point being that everyone agreed we should have beaten them and were unlucky not to.

as in a few games this season we haven't played much better than the opposition but had a shed load of chances. the last few games the chances have been drying up.

it really wouldn't take much improvement, which i think is within the squad, to have this league won by easter.

Anyway, the point being that everyone agreed we should have beaten them and were unlucky not to.

as in a few games this season we haven't played much better than the opposition but had a shed load of chances. the last few games the chances have been drying up.

it really wouldn't take much improvement, which i think is within the squad, to have this league won by easter.

I think the reason the chances have dried up is due to defensive injuries and the midfield not wantting to commit and instead protecting the back 4.

So you're pretty happy with the season so far then?

not with the performances as i've stated a few times i think there is a good bit of improvement available from the squad.

not with the performances as i've stated a few times i think there is a good bit of improvement available from the squad.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being very unhappy and 10 being very happy?

:lol:

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being very unhappy and 10 being very happy?

:lol:

results 7

performances 5

If results are considered alone then they must get at least an 8 or 9, surely? We're top of the league.

My overall impression of this season is that it's been surprising how easy the championship is compared to what we were led to believe in the summer. I don't think we have played really well, so I'm diappointed in that.

Also encouraged that when it looked like the wheels were coming off we put together another couple of wins. Makes me less scared that everything is suddenly going to go downhill.

With only 3 away defeats, thats a point lost for each one so far for results. Harsh.

thats looking purely at stats.

how many times have you seen games where the stats say 1-0 but the losing team were the better team,had more chances etc.

only 3 away defeats.....thats more away defeats than every other team in the top half.

With only 3 away defeats, thats a point lost for each one so far for results. Harsh.

how many times have you seen games where the stats say 1-0 but the losing team were the better team,had more chances etc.

only 3 away defeats.....thats more away defeats than every other team in the top half.

Apart from Blackpool. :lol:

Apart from Blackpool. :lol:

who haven't lost more than us.

What i'm trying to understand is what has changed people's expectations over the past 15 games and i'm struggling to find one which doesnt look like blind arrogance.

Everyone would have taken 30 points, 2 clear after 15 games at the start of the season. They would have been delighted. So what has changed?

We knew our squad was full of average players.

Have we seen them transformed this season, showing superior passing, movement, technical ability than those around them? No.

Have we seen an utterly shit league devoid of ability? No, we've seen a much poorer league than we are used to but the same teams who were competing hard and taking points of each other in this league last season are doing it again this season. The league hasnt changed.

If you think our players are streets ahead of the competition then this doesnt tally with the evidence acquired by watching us and others in this league.

You get a sense our players could do better because of who they are on paper, not because they present you with persuasive evidence on the pitch.

What i'm trying to understand is what has changed people's expectations over the past 15 games and i'm struggling to find one which doesnt look like blind arrogance.

Everyone would have taken 30 points, 2 clear after 15 games at the start of the season. They would have been delighted. So what has changed?

We knew our squad was full of average players.

Have we seen them transformed this season, showing superior passing, movement, technical ability than those around them? No.

Have we seen an utterly s*** league devoid of ability? No, we've seen a much poorer league than we are used to but the same teams who were competing hard and taking points of each other in this league last season are doing it again this season. The league hasnt changed.

If you think our players are streets ahead of the competition then this doesnt tally with the evidence acquired by watching us and others in this league.

You get a sense our players could do better because of who they are on paper, not because they present you with persuasive evidence on the pitch.

little has changed in my expectations. i think we have the most talented squad in the league and i have money on us winning the league but i still think we are underperforming given the standard of the opposition.

The words 'talented' and 'squad' are a bit too close together for me.

So, yes blind arrogance. 'This league is s***, we are lush, we should be on 39 points by now'.

how is it blind arrogance ?. someone in the league will have what is generally considered to be a better squad in that league than the others in much the same way you'd say chelsea have a better squad than the masjority of the premiership..is that arrogance ?

The words 'talented' and 'squad' are a bit too close together for me.

So, yes blind arrogance. 'This league is s***, we are lush, we should be on 39 points by now'.

Well we do have the best squad, we just dont have the best balance.  We have plenty of slow, yet talented midfielders, no wingers a good defence with decent cover for all areas (by this I mean better than that of other teams).  We probably have the best Strikerforce in the league it just isn't used properly and also the best pair of keepers.

Its blind arrogance because the evidence in front of my eyes is that we have a bit of talent in our squad but so do a lot of other teams in this league, WBA, QPR , Cardiff, Boro all have decent players. We dont look better than most other teams as our ball retention, passing and movement is not superior to others.

We have a couple of players who can finish and a tight defence, thats it. If you think that warrants 'This league is s***, we are lush, we should be on 39 points by now' then i think thats a bit arrogant.

Chelsea fans arent complaining about being top of the league either.

Its blind arrogance because the evidence in front of my eyes is that we have a bit of talent in our squad but so do a lot of other teams in this league, WBA, QPR , Cardiff, Boro all have decent players. We dont look better than most other teams as our ball retention, passing and movement is not superior to others.

We have a couple of players who can finish and a tight defence, thats it. If you think that warrants 'This league is s***, we are lush, we should be on 39 points by now' then i think thats a bit arrogant.

where have i said this league is shit we are lush etc. i think we have the best squad in this league, as do a lot of people who don't support us and haven't been playing well often due to team selection.

where have i said this league is shit we are lush etc. i think we have the best squad in this league, as do a lot of people who don't support us and haven't been playing well often due to team selection.

Barton -- Guthrie -- Smith -- Jonas

is the best midfield in the league on paper.

As has been pointed out before, we dont play on paper.

where have i said this league is s*** we are lush etc. i think we have the best squad in this league, as do a lot of people who don't support us and haven't been playing well often due to team selection.

Barton -- Guthrie -- Smith -- Jonas

is the best midfield in the league on paper.

As has been pointed out before, we dont play on paper.

and we are where we are deservedly whilst i still think underperforming. thats on the pitch,not on paper.