How's it going for the players who left Newcastle?

LoveItIfWeBeatU

How are the players who left Newcastle in the January 2009 and Summer 2009 transfer windows doing at their new clubs?

Shay Given - Manchester City

Charles N'Zogbia - Wigan Athletic

Michael Owen - Manchester United

Mark Viduka - Retired?

Obafemi Martins - Wolfsburg

Sebastien Bassong - Tottenham Hotspur

Habib Beye - Aston Villa

Damien Duff - Fulham

Xisco - Racing Santander (Loan)

Now we're not in the Premiership I'm not following it closely but the people who seem to have done well are Given, Bassong and Duff (and possibly Owen). Am I wrong in thinking Martins and Beye are mainly being used as substitutes? I can't imagine that is what they were expecting.

Martins, Owen, Bassong, Duff, N'Zogbia and Given are all doing well from what i can tell. Beye has fallen foul of O'Neill's full back policy so i don't know how self-inflicted his absences have been.

I think Martins would've been expecting to be on the bench, at least at first, as they already had Dzeko and Grafite. He's starting now as Grafite's went mental or something and been sent back to brazil. he's got 5 goals in 9 games. Xisco's not doing too well though, started one game, a sub in 10 more. failed to score in that time.

In other news... Nacho Gonzalez has yet to play.

Beye has fallen foul of O'Neill's full back policy so i don't know how self-inflicted his absences have been.

My main reason for posting the question was Beye. I'd heard he wasn't playing much at Aston Villa. Going from being one of the Newcastle fans favourite players to barely getting a game must be strange for him.

Why play a dedicated right back at right back when you can stick an out of position centre half there?

Cuellar is suspended this week, so we shall see who gets the nod, Luke Young or Beye.

NRC.

How's Beye done in his brief game time with you? Fans like him or is it too early? Fat Sam never used to start him every game until he'd been here for a couple of months.

There's playing games and then there's doing well, no idea how well any of them are doing (well apart from Given and Owen doing the usual).  We'd probably have to ask the fans of each team to be honest.

Zog from what ive seen looks the same at wigan as he did here really. Like there might be a little spark in him, he'll make the odd surging run...hint at having some class about him & then produce very little the large majority of the time.

All of them are doing quite well it seems , except for Viduka, who is doing exactly what he did while he was at NUFC: nothing at all. Beye will probaly be unhappy with his role as well.

Duff seems to already have found better form than he ever did here, while Bassong has basically continued on doing what he was doing here. Owen has been more productive this term, but he still does not look very good, imo. Martins has been hit and miss (surprise!) for Wolfsburg. Scored a double in the last league match, and his started ever since Grafite lost his head. As you know, given has been pretty much the same player as well.

Thinking about it more widely, there aren't a lot of players in recent years who leave Newcastle and go on to really hit form and perform significantly better than they did at NUFC. Bellamy maybe, but he was pretty good here. Bassong might do so. I think Given is just continuing his decent form here, but I don't think he is as good now as he was at his peak here.

Or a transfer policy that involves buying all of the expensive declining players past their peak thinking that because they used to play for Chelsea/Man Utd/Barcelona/Liverpool/Real Madrid they will be great for Newcastle

Thinking about it more widely, there aren't a lot of players in recent years who leave Newcastle and go on to really hit form and perform significantly better than they did at NUFC. Bellamy maybe, but he was pretty good here. Bassong might do so. I think Given is just continuing his decent form here, but I don't think he is as good now as he was at his peak here.

Parker and Bramble seem to be doing better now than when they were here.

Milner played better for Villa on his loan and now than he probably ever did here.

Saha's one of the few who was much better elsewhere & he was only here on loan. Cant think of many others.

Jon Dahl Tomasson and Dietmar Hamann

Hamann was pretty good for us in his only season here imo. Certainly remember being gutted at the sale at the time, although iirc he said a few bad things about the club after leaving (or maybe that was about Gullitt?).