3D week on Channel 4, starts 16th November

Interpolic

Anyone heard about this?  I just picked up my free 3D specs while I was in Sainsburys.

3D imaging has a long history from a 19th century craze; to the 3D movies of the 50s when it was developed to fight off competition from television; and from the 1980s revival that saw Jaws 3D packing in cinemas; to the cutting-edge 3D technology of today.

In a special week of programming, Channel 4 invites viewers to put on their 3D specs and celebrate 3D. We are not talking state of the art IMAX technology here, but some good old fashioned fun. Viewers will be able to pick up their free 3D glasses from participating Sainsbury’s around the country from early November.

Channel 4 airs astonishing, unseen footage, shot in 3D, of The Queen during her Coronation year. A two part series, The Queen in 3D, tells the story of two innovative young camera men, Bob Angell and Arthur Wooster – now in their 80s – who filmed a 3D colour newsreel they named Royal Review. Their footage covers The Queen at the events she attended in the lead up to and after the Coronation in 1953, including her journey to the Coronation itself. It has never been seen before on television.

The series also includes 3D footage of The Queen at the Epsom Derby and a trip on the Royal Barge on the Thames. Arthur and Bob reveal the story behind the making of the films while remembering the mood of an era. With additional archive, current, and some rarely seen 3D and 2D footage, the series revisits the life and times of Britain in the 1950s; a time that ushered in the era of Royals on television and began the cult of Royal celebrity.

In addition Derren Brown's 3D Magic Spectacular features some of the world’s greatest, funniest and most shocking magicians performing magic in stunning 3D. With Derren as host, some of Britain’s leading performers dazzle the audience with incredible trickery, and amazing archive footage features performances of some of the world’s greatest magic tricks.

The Greatest Ever 3D Moments reveals the top ten 3D moments of all time from movies, television and pop videos. Featuring some iconic classics, the countdown includes scenes from the 1950s up to the latest technologically innovative moments from the noughties, with clips from Creatures from the Black Lagoon, Jaws 3D and even Doctor Who. The show also features interviews with the cast and crew from the featured ten best moments. What will take the crown as the best 3D moment seen on our screens?

The week will also include several 3D movies (titles TBC).

http://www.channel4.com/pressandpublicity-autumn/seasons/3d-week.html

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/3d-week

"Ze goggles, zey do nothing!"

Can you get the specs from many places?

The official ones are from Sainsburys.  I went there for my lunch and there was a huge box of them by the door and you can help yourself.

Yeah, exactly the same at my Sainsburys.

I'm feeling a bit left out again. 3d doesn't work for me coz I was born with a gimpy right eye. I remember getting the 3d specs for the sega master system as a kid and sitting in tears as my mates got all the benefit of them. Magic eye pics were also a non event for me when they became all the rage. I can feel the dark clouds descending again :(

I'm feeling a bit left out again. 3d doesn't work for me coz I was born with a gimpy right eye. I remember getting the 3d specs for the sega master system as a kid and sitting in tears as my mates got all the benefit of them. Magic eye pics were also a non event for me when they became all the rage. I can feel the dark clouds descending again :(

Fuck off, Griffin, you Nazi twat.

f*** off, Griffin, you Nazi t***.

Screw you Keefaz - it's his left eye that's fooked :) (Thank you google!)

For the record mine looks completely normal - it just works a bit shit.

• 2 weeks later...

They've been pretty up-front about it, saying that it's going to be your old-school cheap-&-cheerful 3D, rather than the blow-your-mind new stuff. Think it'll be fun myself, doubt I'll watch Attack of the 50ft Queen in 3D or whatever it's called like.