Anyone here do any video editing?

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

I'm going to start doing quite a bit of video editing, and I'm looking for recommendations of good software for video and potentially HD video. All help welcome. I need decent control over the audio aswell.

I'm a pc by the way, and I've heard that adobe premiere pro and Sony Vegas are good. Anyone had any experience with these or other programs?

Avid is the only pro software for PC tbh.

What kind of price range?

Not sure the exact price (around $2000-$2500 iirc). If you want something cheaper, Sony Vegas is the way to go. It's starting to slowly build itself up as the third most used video editing software within the film/tv industry itself. But it's still not really.. " up there" with Avid MC and Final Cut PRO yet.

If you want something good, you should forget about adobe as an option already now tbh.

Sony Vegas Pro is good, use it on PC.

I'm a mac editor myself, use Final Cut Pro. It's an absolute dream as is the Macbook Pro - built for quick and high quality video editing.

I'm a mac editor myself, use Final Cut Pro. It's an absolute dream as is the Macbook Pro - built for quick and high quality video editing.

Nothing beats Final Cut Pro :smitten: If I could marry it, I would.

Nothing beats Final Cut Pro :smitten: If I could marry it, I would.

I did marry it! Legendary, all work goes through there now.

AVID or FCP for the picture (you may be better off selling your PC and getting a Mac + FCP rather than going down the AVID route, although that's just me).

Digidesign AVID Pro Tools or Nuendo for the audio.

FCP with Automatic Duck + PT with Digitranslator & PPMulator and you're laughing.

oh yeah, FCP comes with Soundtrack Pro for audio editing aswell, it's pretty good (the other option, Pro Tools, is industry standard for music as well as being used within the film/TV industry, and can cost accordingly, although the LE version is pretty cheap these days) Soundtrack Pro handles audio really well though, especially when working with FCP.

Check out the videos at apple.com

FCP - http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/

Soundtrack Pro - http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/soundtrackpro/

I've narrowed it down to either Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro on a load of peoples recommendations.

Do you's think I'll be OK running and editing HD videos with the following setup?

- 4GB RAM

- 2.66Ghz Quad Intel Processor

- NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800 graphics card

- 600 GB hard drive

Please tell me you've narrowed it down to those two because of the price of Avid?

And stay clear from Adobe PP, seriously man, don't waste your money on that. Out of the two you're after, Sony Vegas is lightyears ahead of Adobe PP.

Have FCP at work, fantastic bit of software. Another editor I know uses AVID and says it is far superior but from what I have seen anything you need to do can be done on FCP quite easily. The only thing that I find shite about FCP is the text editor. I have to do the credits for programs from scratch and it is shite for that. Does anyone know if there is any good plugins for FCP for that sort of thing?

I've narrowed it down to either Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro on a load of peoples recommendations.

Do you's think I'll be OK running and editing HD videos with the following setup?

- 4GB RAM

- 2.66Ghz Quad Intel Processor

- NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800 graphics card

- 600 GB hard drive

Please tell me you've narrowed it down to those two because of the price of Avid?

And stay clear from Adobe PP, seriously man, don't waste your money on that. Out of the two you're after, Sony Vegas is lightyears ahead of Adobe PP.

Yeah, purely because of price. Anything specifically not good about adobe though, because a lot of other people have recommended it?

The issue I've got is I can either get Sony Vegas for £400 or I can get the entire Adobe CS4 set (including Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver etc) for £465 on the student deals.

Adobe produce some of the most badly optimised software out there, Flash being the top of the s*** pile.

Still, it's the standard these days across most of the *creative* industry, so it doesn't hurt to know some of the apps.

OTOH, if you want to specialize in video, do you need the rest of that stuff? (I last used Premiere back in 2002, I imagine it's a bloated beast like their other stuff these days).

That list of hardware you posted further up, will you be running the application and OS on the same drive as your video files/scratch disc? you need at least 2 separate drives for video.

For around £800 (with student discount). You could pick up a MacMini with Final Cut Express & CS4 Web Premium.

You can run two monitors off those mini's & they're not bad performers (Final Cut Express should be fine on one).

Getting your head around FCE will set you up for FCP, and you can upgrade in future.

CS4 Web Premium contains all the obvious apps, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator & Flash, also contains Soundbooth for Audio.

You'll still need to use a separate FW800 drive for video, so that will add a bit more cost. (and if you went for the base mini you would want to take the ram up to 4GB, I would purchase this separately and not from apple if you want to save a bit).

So I suppose you're coming in towards a grand... how much will you get for your PC? :lol:

I recommend a decent Macbook like. Absolutely despise the things but they're a video editor's dream - never edit in PC anymore

What do you despise about them? I must admit I'm not a fan of glossy screens, thank fuck the 15" has a matte option.

The MacMini has the same innards as a MacBook Pro 13" but you can hook up 2x 24" screens.

and it's around £470 with w4nker student discount.

• 4 weeks later...