Shakespeare: any cop?

Keefaz

Nowt better than watching a Shakespeare play in real life, fantastic stuff. They're all pretty samey from a thematic view, if you're studying it, but it's fun to read it if only to sample some of the origins of our language. My favourite's Romeo & Juliet but saw Twelfth Night live a few months back and loved the comedy. Malvolio ftw.

the only way to watch shakespeare is as a 12yr old on a s school trip and giggling at the dirty bits and looking lost at each other about most of the language.

then i went in my twenties and it was quite dull.

Shakespeare can be absolutely brilliant when it's done well. One of the best ones I've seen was a version of Macbeth set in Africa with an Idi Amin type as Macbeth, it was a walk-around production in an old warehouse which just made it even more memorable. http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/article495326.ece

Well, this was gonna be another question: what are the best versions/adaptations you've seen? Tbh, I tried to see a RSC performance every season (not this year, cos' I'nm stony), and have loved them all. But I'm not an aficionado, so a lot of it is the unusual pleasure of going to see a play. Anyone ever see any of the various outdoorsy performances in Jesmond Dene, Castle Keep, Tynemouth Priory, etc.?

anyway are you thinking of reading,renting or theatre as the RSC are up here ?

at the girls school tomorrow actually.

Got Isaac Asimov's Shakespeare book and I'm looking at some film adaptations that I ain't seen before. Watched Richard III last night--the one with Gandalf--pretty good.

Seen a few different plays and they mostly come off kind of dull, mostly because very few actors seem at all natural trying to perform it.

Best I saw was Hamlet a few years back, the lead actor was absolutely brilliant.

That speech man, the boy Willy had his writing boots on that day.

Seen a few different plays and they mostly come off kind of dull, mostly because very few actors seem at all natural trying to perform it.

Best I saw was Hamlet a few years back, the lead actor was absolutely brilliant.

That speech man, the boy Willy had his writing boots on that day.

probably marlowe

Always enjoyed it at the theatre, not that I really make the effort to go much like. Hate reading it though, partly due to how much of a chore it was at school, but also because it isn't that good to just read.

Some writers have good ideas but don't express themselves well, and some can express themselves but don't have much to say. With Shakespeare, it all comes together.

The one difficulty I find is I can't go along to a play that I'm not familiar with, and enjoy it. I have to read it first, or at least familiarise myself with the plot.

Guest toonlass

I went to see Henry IV part 1 at the People's Theatre and one of the cast fell off the stage. Apart from that it was quite good.

Watched first disc of Branagh's Hamlet last night. Pretty decent, tbf. Best was seeing Brian Blessed as the ghost of Hamlet's dad and talking in the loudest whisper you can imagine. :lol: Richard Briers is also very good.

Don't watch the Macbeth with Judi Dench in is about all the advice I feel I can give. Never 'got' Shakespeare at school and haven't been inclined to go back to him in the years that have followed.

Can't stand him. Thus, Thee, Thy, Thou, etc. I remember at school an English teacher laughing to herself at one of the 'funny' lines in one of Shakespeare's so called comedies the class was having to read aloud. She must have heard it loads of times before but still found it amusing! It wasn't funny the first time. To be fair to him, I can't stand any books written in ye olde English.

Can't stand him. Thus, Thee, Thy, Thou, etc. I remember at school an English teacher laughing to herself at one of the 'funny' lines in one of Shakespeare's so called comedies the class was having to read aloud. She must have heard it loads of times before but still found it amusing! It wasn't funny the first time. To be fair to him, I can't stand any books written in ye olde English.

On the subject of English lessons, I used to fucking hate overanalysing books. I love reading and have done since I was young, but sitting there having a shite teacher point out a load of things the book is supposed to 'represent' or 'symbolise' put me right off for a bit. Just let me enjoy the fucking story.

Guest Stephen927

A Level English Literature killed Hamlet for me, annotating every single fucking line for imagery and all that bollocks.

I got a B, I AM SHAKESPEARE.

annotating every single fucking line for imagery and all that bollocks.

It was made even more fucking pointless as none of the kids ever had any earth-shattering insight, basically the teacher went through line by line and told us what it meant. I'm not one for joining the "kids are just taught to pass exams" sort of brigade as such, but lessons like English really were just that.

Don't fancy studying it. Tbh, I'm not having much trouble understanding the flicks I'm watching. True, I don't get everything but the majority, like.

Think it's worse just trying to read it. In fact, a waste of bloody time, tbh.

Don't fancy studying it. Tbh, I'm not having much trouble understanding the flicks I'm watching. True, I don't get everything but the majority, like.

Think it's worse just trying to read it. In fact, a waste of bloody time, tbh.

Shakespeare was in my OP in the thread about things you're supposed to like but don't.