Back to square one?

Dave

Haven't seen this posted yet.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/11/07/hughton-i-decide-magpies-transfers-61634-25111367/

Hughton: I decide Magpies’ transfers

Nov 7 2009 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

CHRIS Hughton has reassured Newcastle United fans he will have the final say on transfer activity this winter, and will “fight tooth and nail” to make sure a squad which currently sits top of the Football League only gets stronger.

The Magpies’ undemonstrative manager is viewed in some quarters as a “yes man” for Mike Ashley’s regime, handed the job in preference to the far less compliant Alan Shearer.

But Hughton has asserted his authority ahead of today’s Championship game at home to Peterborough United. Earlier in the season club owner Ashley claimed it was ultimately down to him which players moved in and out of St James’ Park, but now he has been installed as Newcastle’s permanent manager, Hughton says the responsibilities have shifted.

The issue has been a topical one after Kevin Keegan and Alan Curbishley won cases for unfair dismissal in recent weeks by proving players had been bought and sold without their say-so – something Hughton is confident will not happen to him, insisting: “I will have the final say.”

Although Hughton expects there to be some, the plans for which players United will try to sign in January appear vague. But on the prospect of departures, the manager was unequivocal.

“I will fight tooth and nail to keep players,” he said. “My intention is not to make this squad weaker. I have had no indication that there are any players here who want to leave. That is what I would expect. If we are able to sustain the position we are in, it’s more a case of adding than letting people go.”

Hughton also denied there was any agreement which would allow Argentina winger Jonás Gutiérrez to leave in the new year.

On the day he confirmed Hughton’s permanent appointment, Ashley also announced a £20m injection into the club.

Most of that is expected to go on running costs, and no discussions have taken place with the manager over the size of war chest he can look forward to.

“If you are asking if I have been told figures, then no,” Hughton said. “What I have been told is it’s my responsibility to determine what I need to bring in. If I need to strengthen, they (the board) would support me in that.

“In my endeavours to get where we want to be in January, the board will support me in terms of tackling what needs to be tackled.

“I need to determine what areas I need to bring players into. If we have injuries we are stretched so I will target the areas and players needed. And I have been told I will be supported. There might be a loan signing, a fee signing, but that is to be worked on.”

Hughton maintains his public perception as a tool of Ashley does not upset him, nor will it distract him from the task of returning his club to the top-flight.

“No it doesn’t hurt, I have one responsibility and that is to manage this group of lads, my remit is simply that,” he said. “We are sitting on top of the table so we must be doing something right. We have to make sure that continues.

“I can only work within the perimeters of the job. We have had financial restraints for obvious reasons and all I can do to is work around them.”

:facepalm:

“I can only work within the perimeters of the job. We have had financial restraints for obvious reasons and all I can do to is work around them.”

goes for most managers to be honest.

Certainly does, but do you not find it strange that he's signed a contract to be manager without even knowing what those restraints are?

Certainly does, but do you not find it strange that he's signed a contract to be manager without even knowing what those restraints are?

i'd say he had a fair idea of the restraints he has after all in the loan deals he has done i doubt if any one of them are on huge wages

Probably just assumed that what ever Ashley told him would be bullshit anyway. so why not just go for it.

the rerstraints will be ever changing. it all depends on wether he beleives the resons for any restraints.

Guest Chris P

How do you know what the restraints are?

How does that work then?

In the interview above Hughton says he's not discussed the restraints with the board/owner. I find it strange that he's agreed to be manager without having a clue what he has to work with. His other comments don't fit in with what the owner has said about the final say on players either.

Hence the thread and its title.

The poor deluded fool, see if come Feb 1st he still thinks that when he has no... Taylor, Colo, Enrique, Jonas, Krul, Carroll and Smith

So if he's fighting tooth and nail to keep them and they go does he go in protest? I did read this article the other day and wondered what he would do if the Fat One decides to make a few bob on say Carroll and Taylor (S) in January. As Ashley can't give two flying wahtsits what the fans think he will do what he wants.

Guest Chris P

talk about spitting hairs. So in your world the manager is in fact more powerful than the board when it comes to financial decisions. He might aswell buy the club so he can have final say.

Guest Chris P

The poor deluded fool, see if come Feb 1st he still thinks that when he has no... Taylor, Colo, Enrique, Jonas, Krul, Carroll and Smith

So if he's fighting tooth and nail to keep them and they go does he go in protest? I did read this article the other day and wondered what he would do if the Fat One decides to make a few bob on say Carroll and Taylor (S) in January. As Ashley can't give two flying wahtsits what the fans think he will do what he wants.

its not going to happen

talk about spitting hairs. So in your world the manager is in fact more powerful than the board when it comes to financial decisions. He might aswell buy the club so he can have final say.

Nice straw man.

I would expect anyone considering whether to take a manager's job to at least discuss the financial restraints and know who is in charge, especially at this club considering the Keegan debacle.

Guest Heneage

What club in the world actually lets it manager have the final say in signings? It's not FM, a manager will suggest a player the board see if it is viable then attempt to sign him.

What club in the world actually lets it manager have the final say in signings? It's not FM, a manager will suggest a player the board see if it is viable then attempt to sign him.

Someone ought to tell Chris Hughton then, because he's been quoted in that article saying he has the final say.

Guest Heneage

Someone ought to tell Chris Hughton then, because he's been quoted in that article saying he has the final say.

I'd imagine he means signings over his head. I could probably also bet that his words have been taken out of context. He's not the most charismatic bloke, so a few bored Journalists are more than likely ask him leading questions.