What do you hate most about being in the Championship?

Dave

So nearly happened to Everton though, and no way would they have recovered with that wretched Kendall side if they'd have went down.  Clinging onto that kind of hope is what keeps me going.

It's just when you think how good we were 6-7 years ago and basically took it for granted.  We had no right to challlenge the top teams, but we did, then threw the dummy out when we finished 5th after that draw at Soton.

The way we were able to pick teams off with such pace and precision and take the league by storm, and thinking what we are like now.  That is what hurts the most.

(I prefer Sir Bob's 2000-2002 team to Keegan's 1995-97)

So nearly happened to Everton though, and no way would they have recovered with that wretched Kendall side if they'd have went down.  Clinging onto that kind of hope is what keeps me going.

It's just when you think how good we were 6-7 years ago and basically took it for granted.  We had no right to challlenge the top teams, but we did, then threw the dummy out when we finished 5th after that draw at Soton.

The way we were able to pick teams off with such pace and precision and take the league by storm, and thinking what we are like now.  That is what hurts the most.

:lol:

Guest Rob 1988

What i hate the most about the championship is the lack of quality in the league the  defending is shocking..

yer me to i will never forget that match against feyenoord in the champions league :aww: it feels so long ago

Guest firetotheworks

The general tackiness of it. The Americanism of some teams stadiums, it's like every team has a stadium like Hull, Bolton and Stokes.

The general tackiness of it. The Americanism of some teams stadiums, it's like every team has a stadium like Hull, Bolton and Stokes.

9 out of 24 stadia are pretty much the same in this league, but with different coloured seats. Cardiff, Swansea, Doncaster, Reading, Derby, Coventry, Boro, Plymouth and Leicester are all identikit.

Guest firetotheworks

At the moment, this general lack of a real sense of achievement when we win games. It's like it's an extension of last season's relegation battle.

Aye, its a bit like winning the raffle at work, and having to show you're grateful, even though you dont really like the miniature bottle of white wine, and at the same time someone's won in the same raffle £500s worth of shopping vouchers. Applaud. Hate.

At the moment, this general lack of a real sense of achievement when we win games. It's like it's an extension of last season's relegation battle.

How so? I was estatic when we won matches last year. :lol:

Perhaps it's more of a reflection of the state of the club than of the Championship. In previous promotion campaigns, the feeling was different because it was like we were moving forward, and getting to the top division felt like a real achievement.

I get the sense now that we're trying to arrest a slide, like getting promoted is just ensuring that we're back where we belong.

Guest Heneage

And of course your NOT a big club anymore  >:D

By the way Swansea sold out their allocation of tickets 2 weeks ago  O0  ;D

I'd hope they would, big day out for them Jack bastards.

I wish I could come, bit far from saskatoon though  :razz:, was very nearly sent to Cleveland with the job, a colleague went instead and is returning the day of the match. I'd have found a way to stay longer and now be begging for a ticket (sitting anywhere)  :sadnod:

Perhaps it's more of a reflection of the state of the club than of the Championship. In previous promotion campaigns, the feeling was different because it was like we were moving forward, and getting to the top division felt like a real achievement.

I get the sense now that we're trying to arrest a slide, like getting promoted is just ensuring that we're back where we belong.

This - in 1984 and (especially)in 1993, we had the feeling that the club was going on to better things.

In 84 the Board cocked it up by making things difficult for Cox in the transfer market, so he resigned.

In 93, we knew the team was decent enough to do well but they surpassed expectations by finishing 3rd next season after the addition of only a few players.

There is no way this team will even stay up if it gets promoted this time unless there are several new signings, so the sense of progress isn't there ; also, we all know that the club's future is not settled and it will be put on the market again if promotion is achieved.

This - in 1984 and (especially)in 1993, we had the feeling that the club was going on to better things.

In 84 the Board cocked it up by making things difficult for Cox in the transfer market, so he resigned.

In 93, we knew the team was decent enough to do well but they surpassed expectations by finishing 3rd next season after the addition of only a few players.

There is no way this team will even stay up if it gets promoted this time unless there are several new signings, so the sense of progress isn't there ; also, we all know that the club's future is not settled and it will be put on the market again if promotion is achieved.

To be fair, I don't think there is ever likely to be a team in the foreseeable future that gets out of the Championship and is immediately able to compete in the Premiership without serious investment and restructuring.  Not without some Man City style owners who don't care what the wage bill looks like and can somehow attract Premiership quality players to play in the lower league.  Who can basically afford to pretend to be a Premiership club, while not actually enjoying the advantages of the top flight. 

This is because there seems to be a massive gulf at the moment between what it takes to stay financially healthy in the Championship, and what it takes to get serious in the Premiership (or be more than a yo-yo/middling club like Hull or Stoke).  The path for these clubs seems to be getting up, and then hanging on for dear life through a combination of physical anti-football, good luck and small incremental improvement in the players they can attract and afford (without assuming too much risk since relegation remains a possibility).  Newcastle have the advantage of more revenue and greater notoriety, but it is still the same boat.  You need one type of team to be successful at this level, and another to be competitive in the Premiership. 

The fact that we don't look like a Premiership team at the moment and aren't playing great football is to be expected.  I don't think there is a pretty way to win a poor league, with youngsters and has-beens.  I'm not disheartened by that.  Getting out of this league is the priority, and only the results get counted. 

My real worry is that if Hughton gets us up, then there would absolutely have to be a total, top down makeover to get things moving again.  There is no chance of that happening with an owner that doesn't have a long term commitment to the club and without any professionals with experience of running a club.  And very little (as much as I like him) with an inexperienced coach like Hughton.  So that leaves you trying to do it the ugly way, which the fan base will not support, and will leave us in the same precarious position we were last season.  Because we won't have the tolerance for underachievement that smaller clubs have (nor should we). 

Ashley has admitted himself that he was woefully inept at running the club last year, but he has yet to take any action and appoint someone that does.  Someone that can plan, work with the manager, and isn't one of his inexperienced cockney friends.  Aside from how obnoxious he is, how exactly is Derick Llambas qualified for the job he has?  It's one thing to admit your mistakes, but it's another to make them again and expect different results. 

Away fans bringing 3000/4000 fans to SJP and then singing 'you're not famous anymore'.

If we're not famous, then how come you don't take 4000 to Plymouth too?

And of course your NOT a big club anymore  >:D

By the way Swansea sold out their allocation of tickets 2 weeks ago  O0  ;D

.........Pretty much sums it up.