Teams that don't respect the poppy appeal?

wrightstuff83

Just heard on football league show Plymouth didn't hold a minutes silence.

Plus last year celtic didn't respect it, infact their so called fans protested against it.

After listening 2radio all wk understanding it's about respect not religion, and after watching the rememberence service(as I always do) I just cnt understand why a British club wud not respect this!

When did they become expected to respect it? Have clubs always worn poppies on the shirts and had minutes silences?

nope. games on rememberence sunday have. games on the saturday ? sure it's a very new thing. the poppies on shirts is,i'm sure only from the last couple of seasons.

i know it was rhetorical but i couldn't resist.

Why should teams or even people HAVE to wear a poppy? Is a poppy the only way to respect those who lost their lives?

too often that sort of symbolism is used by some to appear that they are well meaning while not actually giving a toss.

When did they become expected to respect it? Have clubs always worn poppies on the shirts and had minutes silences?

nope. games on rememberence sunday have. games on the saturday ? sure it's a very new thing. the poppies on shirts is,i'm sure only from the last couple of seasons.

i know it was rhetorical but i couldn't resist.

Nah, it wasn't rhetorical :lol:

A minute's silence for Sunday games should be enough, we're falling over ourselves to revel in self pity and tragedy in this country sometimes, it's a bit sad really.

I ask the question why wouldn't they respect it?

If you are playing your football in great Britain, playing your football for a British club, surely you should be expected to respect our fallen(&current) heroes!

Why I ask is what mentality does a club have 2not respect it? Surely it's the most natural thing2do?

If I remember right, last year only Sunderland and Celtic opted against respect!

I ask the question why wouldn't they respect it?

If you are playing your football in great Britain, playing your football for a British club, surely you should be expected to respect our fallen(&current) heroes!

Why I ask is what mentality does a club have 2not respect it? Surely it's the most natural thing2do?

If I remember right, last year only Sunderland and Celtic opted against respect!

10yrs ago no-one did. (i'm fairly sure)

Why should teams or even people HAVE to wear a poppy? Is a poppy the only way to respect those who lost their lives?

too often that sort of symbolism is used by some to appear that they are well meaning while not actually giving a toss.

Particularly the people who appear on TV around this time the with the vast majority getting a poppy placed on them by a makeup artist.

Particularly the people who appear on TV around this time the with the vast majority getting a poppy placed on them by a makeup artist.

aye. all hail jon snow. may he reign.

Celtic have strong Irish connections, are you surprised like?

good edit decky! ;-)

right from world war 1 there had been a strong link/ number of Irish fighting for the British army, so why would the fact Irish are fighting for the cause deny a respect from a British football club?

Are Celtic Irish or Scottish?

Even @that, you are bringing politics into it, there are many current and fallen heroes who not only support Celtic but are also "Irish" , hence, hence why would the club(&their supportors) not respect the poppy appeal?

Perhaps I am wrong, but it is the bigoted amongst us who would not respect those who have volunteered thenselves 2fight for this nation, it's queen &all it stands for!

good edit decky! ;-)

right from world war 1 there had been a strong link/ number of Irish fighting for the British army, so why would the fact Irish are fighting for the cause deny a respect from a British football club?

Are Celtic Irish or Scottish?

Even @that, you are bringing politics into it, there are many current and fallen heroes who not only support Celtic but are also "Irish" , hence, hence why would the club(&their supportors) not respect the poppy appeal?

Perhaps I am wrong, but it is the bigoted amongst us who would not respect those who have volunteered thenselves 2fight for this nation, it's queen &all it stands for!

The Irish fought for the British Army in WW1 under false pretences. Any "Irish" that fought for the Brits since after WW2 dont even consider themselves Irish and I bet they dont support Celtic. Also this stuff about Celtic being a British football club and Scottish is simply hiding from the facts. They ARE both, but they obviously dont see it their club as British and a huge chunk of their fan base is Irish.

When you talk about people who fail to respect those who have volunteered themselves to fight for The Queen and Britain, you are failing to look at the other side of the coin. I.e. those who wish to not be part of the Empire. I mean do you expect all people in Northern Ireland for example to respect the Poppy Appeal, given the history here with the British Army?

Individuals coco yes, but surely any British club with an ounce of respect should honour the men & women who died for this nation?

Surely the same applies for the club as it does the individual, no?

Individuals coco yes, but surely any British club with an ounce of respect should honour the men & women who died for this nation?

it's only been very recently that this has went on though and the "poppy facism" that goes with it.

Not at all coco!

If an individual counts themselves as Irish/republican as I expect neil Lennon/Roy keane may do, they may not wish 2respwct the appeal.

However if these men play 4a British club who respect that tradition, they must go along with said respect.

What I really mean is individuals may not respect it 4whatever reason, but surely every single club in Britain MUST respect those who lived(&the many who died) their life fir this nation!

Yep the fortnightly pretendy terrorists think they tried for a minutes applause rather than silence as they feared it would be disrupted. This business with the poppies woven into strips is a very new thing though think it was started last year and ok i believe the strips are auctioned afterwards but maybe if clubs feel strongly about it they could simply make a donation but maybe they do.