Teams that don't respect the poppy appeal?

wrightstuff83

Guest itsTosh

Either it's optional, in which case it is not anyone else's business whether or not an individual or an organization choose to do it or not; or it's compulsory, in which case it isn't really much of a gesture of heartfelt respect.

Have to say though that I wouldn't want to see either Celtic or Rangers bringing their sectarian politics into English football. Keep them away from us.

How far do you go with this?  How do you reply to, say, a breast cancer charity who says "Ah, you're putting a poppy on for the troops?  Cool, can you all make a strip with a pink ribbon on for breast cancer awareness month?  No?  Why don't you care about people dying of cancer?"

Could end up with everyone in pretty much the same multicoloured kit.

How far do you go with this?  How do you reply to, say, a breast cancer charity who says "Ah, you're putting a poppy on for the troops?  Cool, can you all make a strip with a pink ribbon on for breast cancer awareness month?  No?  Why don't you care about people dying of cancer?"

On that note: The NFL's support for Breast Cancer awareness puts the pathetic effort by the Premier League to shame. For an entire month...

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d81329bfc_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d8133111e_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d81328547_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d81320c9a_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d81328546_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d813214c3_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d81321338_gallery_600.jpg

Guest toonlass

Thought a team had done that though, changed their kit to pink for a game for Breast Cancer trust.

justice for the 96

f*** off

Whats this ?

What 96 ?

Another Guardian-originated protest in favour of Guantanamo terrorists ?

poppy facism is when people think it's a must for others to wear it and follow the protocols.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6134906.stm

why should it matter if i'm english ?

Poppy "fascism" ??? WTF ?

The whole sodding thing STARTED by War criminal Earl Haig to detract from his culpability of the mass butchery of OUR troops - hence the poppy appeal.

For services to OUR country by OUR troops.

THAT is why it's effing British

I had always prior had respect for Mr Snow, but his trying to seem a "poppy protestor" to impress the repugnant middle class politically correct Vanessa-Redgraveish  "inteligentsia" revolts me. F*ck him is my opinion of him now. No surprise it's the BBC trying to champion him though.

Nothing wrong with appeals for good causes.

BUT there's been more of these kind of things for AIDS than all the others put together

Why ?

Question it, and you're a "homophobic"

Now that IS fascism.

Thought a team had done that though, changed their kit to pink for a game for Breast Cancer trust.

Yeah, several teams have done it.  Not sure if that means all teams absolutely have to do it otherwise they're disrespectful though.

Guest toonlass

Yeah, several teams have done it.  Not sure if that means all teams absolutely have to do it otherwise they're disrespectful though.

At the risk of hyperbole

I have no problem with that either. Its up to the clubs to decide that. But its not on when the clubs have decided to have a minutes silence and a bunch of idiots start deliberately singing republican rebel songs to ensure that they disrupt the silence for those who wish to respect it. They should have stayed under the stand until it was over if they didn't want to respect it.

Also, I don't want to sound evil here: but why's it always breast cancer? I was under the impression it's one of the most easily treated cancers and is becoming rarer and rarer whereas the likes of prostate cancer or whatevers kill thousands and you hardly hear a mention of it.

It's fairly simple really. Everyone and every organisation is free to demonstrate respect however they feel it is appropriate. That doesn't mean they have to wear a poppy or even hold a minutes silence - I'm pretty sure there won't be one at work on wednesday. Wearing a poppy doesn't actually mean you respect or particularly care about the fallen in the same way that not wearing one doesn't mean the opposite. Actively disrespecting something like this (i.e. singing through a minutes silence) crosses a line though.

It's fairly simple really. Everyone and every organisation is free to demonstrate respect however they feel it is appropriate. That doesn't mean they have to wear a poppy or even hold a minutes silence

Absolutely right.

But ars*holes like Snow's attitude is disgustingly disrespectful.

It's fairly simple really. Everyone and every organisation is free to demonstrate respect however they feel it is appropriate. That doesn't mean they have to wear a poppy or even hold a minutes silence

Absolutely right.

Eh? It his personal choice, man. You force someone to wear a poppy, then what meaning does it have? Nothing.

Absolutely right.

Eh? It his personal choice, man. You force someone to wear a poppy, then what meaning does it have? Nothing.

Is he an ordinary joe in the street or someone in the glare of TV screens ?

Theres personal choice, and theres disrespect.

Read what he himself says.

It is designed solely to appease the PC tub thumpers.

What annoys me is that there are some who won't allow that minute of silence to go ahead because they are ignorant idiots.

Who? Again, be specific.

You want a list, FFS ? ? ?

Jesus....

Absolutely right.

Huh? It's just a paper flower. He's already said he has total respect for those who died. That's what counts, not some bit of tat, man.

I don't believe that the vast majority on telly think twice about the poppy appeal or put any money in to the cause, they just have it pinned on in makeup. That's not showing respect on their behalf, it's pretending to show respect. Far more honest to not wear one if that's what you're doing on a day-by-day basis and given what he's covered in his time I don't doubt that Jon Snow has an awful lot of respect for the fallen. Whether he chooses to manifest it by wearing a poppy or not is his decision.

Huh? It's just a paper flower. He's already said he has total respect for those who died. That's what counts, not some bit of tat, man.

Then why is he deliberatly avoiding wearing one ON the day ?

FFS man - it's so bloody obvious, he mouths off in defence of his action, and trys to cover his back and makes an absolute mess.

Its plain as frigging day he's doing it to impress others, and annoying far far far more.

I don't believe that the vast majority on telly think twice about the poppy appeal or put any money in to the cause, they just have it pinned on in makeup. That's not showing respect on their behalf, it's pretending to show respect. Far more honest to not wear one if that's what you're doing on a day-by-day basis and given what he's covered in his time I don't doubt that Jon Snow has an awful lot of respect for the fallen. Whether he chooses to manifest it by wearing a poppy or not is his decision.

Sorry but thats utter tripe.

Snow has made MONEY out of doing progs on "The fallen"

Why is it so "difficult" for him to wear one on the day ?

Absolutely right.

Read what he himself says.

It is designed solely to appease the PC tub thumpers.

What's politically correct about not wearing a poppy? I'd have thought it was far more PC for everyone on the telly to wear one regardless of their beliefs.

Man Utd says they couldnt put a poppy on their top because of their top is red and it wont be noticable or some balls but what would be up with putting it on the black V thats comes across the top of it! Scumbags

Too right. They should be stoned to death for ignoring the centuries old tradition of having poppies on football jerseys.

Did anyone explain this poppies on shirts thing and WHY it started when it did? As I said before it can only be less than five years at the most.

Does it actually matter when it started? The whole point is that for one minute people can have a minute to remember that thousands of people died to ensure we are free. I don't care whether people want to wear a poppy or not, or want to spend that minute silently thanking those who made the sacrifice or if they spend the minute silently singing the theme tune of the simpson's in their head. What annoys me is that there are some who won't allow that minute of silence to go ahead because they are ignorant idiots.

Well yes it does matter, if only for the curiosity value. I mean we've had wars forever, soldiers dying for hundreds and thousands of years, poppies since 1918 but footballers wearing poppies since less than five years ago? It doesn't make sense to me. It's not as if the general public or footballers cares more than they did 30 or 40 years ago, we're just meant to show it more for some reason. I'm sure years ago a minute's silence for Remembrance day was only held if the 11th fell on a Saturday.

Are you being serious? How can you not understand why public support for the poppy campaign may have increased in the last, I dunno, eight years or so....!?!?

I'd like to understand exactly why the thread poster feels some clubs aren't showing due respect.

Who said the clubs aren't? I said some Celtic fans chose to sing republican rebel songs during the minute of silence and that spoiled it for everyone there. Maybe you don't want to show respect for the people who have given their lives so that you can live yours, but to actively disrespect them is just wrong, imo. I don't know why or when the football clubs decided to start to have a minute's silence for remembrance day but in a society so apathetic to most things it is nice to see that some people do want to show respect to the people who died.

Who said I didn't? It's like talking to children.

What's politically correct about not wearing a poppy? I'd have thought it was far more PC for everyone on the telly to wear one regardless of their beliefs.

Who started a "white poppy" "appeal" years ago ? (Where did the money go from that ?)

Who tried to impress on us that buying a poppy "promotes" war ?

Who said I didn't? It's like talking to children.

Her response is quite correct.

And who said you DID respect ?

Can't see any sign whatsoever.

FFS man - it's so bloody obvious, he mouths off in defence of his action, and trys to cover his back and makes an absolute mess.

I think his reasons, that he always wears one off screen, that he gets lots of requests to wear one thing or another to support all kinds of causes and he prefers not to wear any symbols at all when he's presenting is a fairly reasonable one.  People are free to disagree with it, but I think characterising him as if he's some kind of monster for it kind of proves his point.

I think his reasons, that he always wears one off screen, that he gets lots of requests to wear one thing or another to support all kinds of causes and he prefers not to wear any symbols at all when he's presenting is a fairly reasonable one.  People are free to disagree with it, but I think characterising him as if he's some kind of monster for it kind of proves his point.

Fair point, but it still comes down to - why ?

Its petty and however I look at it, he seems to be doing it to appease certain people.

Which is repugnant, when you consider how it offended far more.

Fair point, but it still comes down to - why ?

Its petty and however I look at it, he seems to be doing it to appease certain people.

Which is repugnant, when you consider how it offended far more.

The reason's above and I can't see for the life of me who he's trying to appease.