Where were you when

Guest toonlass

it was a fantastic few months the whole iron curtain coming down. everyday seemed to bring new stunning news from eastern europe.

may be hard to understand for those who weren't brought up with the iron curtain thing.

the first i truly saw of people streaming through the wall was on the evening news, at home in west denton park at the time and trying to convey to the lass i was living with how important it was.

Went on a fantastic walking tour in Berlin (normally avoid such things like the plague but this came highly recommended and didn't disappoint) which told some amazing stories about the wall, it's history and the day it came down.

theres a greast piece in a john simpson book about a rally in romania when usually people were placed in the crowd to lead the pro regime chanting. someone started shouting something else and others followed as they had been used to. by the time they realised what they were shouting a full scale revolt was started and you can actually see the confusion on caucescu's (sp?) on the tv pics.

theres a greast piece in a john simpson book about a rally in romania when usually people were placed in the crowd to lead the pro regime chanting. someone started shouting something else and others followed as they had been used to. by the time they realised what they were shouting a full scale revolt was started and you can actually see the confusion on caucescu's (sp?) on the tv pics.

Should try that at the match.

I was 7, no idea what I was doing, can only remember it happening very vagely.

I'm pretty sure we did some stuff about it at school, and I can only remember hearing about separated families and how they'd be able to see each other again... and how amazing it would be!

tucked up in bed having some sort of kiddy story read to me.  I was little over 1 year of age.

Went there in the summer, walked 9 miles one day around Berlin, saw loads of random bits of the wall and what not.  Loads of little snippets of information dotted around on "dominos" of the wall that are left.

Its a bit of a shame that Checkpoint Charlie has become a bit too touristy.

i'd have been at school in year 4 or whatever it's called now. we'd done a bit of history about ww2 so i had an idea of the significance of it. our headmaster had a piece of it framed in his office with a photo of his son, as his son was helping to demolish it (as far as i remember)