Giving Prisoners the vote

Mowen

Well?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Of Course
    • Nah, Fuck 'em
    • Yes and No

Britain is one of only 7 countries in Europe that denies prisoners the vote, the rules around it are very old and need reviewing to say the least - loads of inconsistencies that I can't be bothered to type up. In america there are some states that don't even allow prisoners to vote once they've been released.

What would you do about it? Does or should removing someone's liberty remove their right to a democracy? Is this extra punishment 'part of the deal'?

Personally I'd give them all the vote, even though most of the fuckers wouldn't bother. They'd have to be re-allocated to their previous constituencies mind to stop small towns with large prisons having their figures significantly slanted.

I read this as 'Giving Pensioners the vote', followed by "Britain is one of only 7 countries in Europe that denies pensioners the vote". I was shocked to say the least :lol:

Either way, my vote is the same: Nah, Fuck 'em

Guest toonlass

:lol:

True enough, like. I can't trust my parents to buy the right type of bread, let alone vote reasonably.

My dad phones me to tell me that he has commented on my facebook status or sent me a text. Poor old sod.  :lol:

n not while they are in prison but when they come out it should depend on their crime i think for people who commit minor offences then they should be allowed though not for a certain amount of time just to prove that they are rehabilitated or learned their lesson and arent gong to commit any new crimes i sesns this opinion may be controversial

n not while they are in prison but when they come out it should depend on their crime i think for people who commit minor offences then they should be allowed though not for a certain amount of time just to prove that they are rehabilitated or learned their lesson and arent gong to commit any new crimes i sesns this opinion may be controversial

I've got no idea if it's controversial or not, I couldn't make head or tail of it.

I've got no idea if it's controversial or not, I couldn't make head or tail of it.

:lol:

Bring back hanging

For incoherence on a football messageboard?  That's harsh whichever way you look at it.

Not while they're in prison, losing the vote is part of losing your freedom... which is the whole point.

Is it though? They retain their freedom to live, to eat, to not be tortured etc.

If someone gets 10days inside for a speeding offence say, is it right that they should lose out on their democratic say (assuming it overlaps)?

erm basically they shouldnt be allowed to vote in prison and whether or not they should be allowed when they leave depends on the crime they cmmitted

is that any better for you ?

A corrupt govt could simply jail everyone who would vote against them. Prisoners are no different to the rest of society in the respect that some would vote this way and some would vote that. Many will have family on the outside and have that families interests to consider when choosing a party to vote for, in that respect alone I don't see how allowing a prisoner to vote would be wrong, nor for that matter, to make much difference to the ballot totals.

Not while they're in prison, losing the vote is part of losing your freedom... which is the whole point.

Is it though? They retain their freedom to live, to eat, to not be tortured etc.

If someone gets 10days inside for a speeding offence say, is it right that they should lose out on their democratic say (assuming it overlaps)?

Aye, it's an interesting question. I think the right to vote is sufficiently different to the right to humane treatment and freedom from torture/death though. I wouldn't say it's a basic human right.

For minor sentences it is more difficult, if the unlucky person happens to be serving a few days that overlap polling day. Not sure what my view is on those cases.

I wouldn't sentence anyone to prison for such short times anyway, but that's a different question!

A corrupt govt could simply jail everyone who would vote against them. Prisoners are no different to the rest of society in the respect that some would vote this way and some would vote that. Many will have family on the outside and have that families interests to consider when choosing a party to vote for, in that respect alone I don't see how allowing a prisoner to vote would be wrong, nor for that matter, to make much difference to the ballot totals.

Is taking away their democratic say not part of their punishment though? I mean, their families would be better off if they were working in Tesco instead of banged up, but that's not the point.