Death Penalty

Mowen

For or against?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. For or against?

• Pro
    • Con

Moderately interesting programme on C4 last night called the execution of Gary Glitter. Didn't really say anything new or revolutionary but it was well acted and, for the main, well thought out. Is anyone on here seriously for the death penalty? What benefits would it bring?

The fact that 54% of Brits were for this idea is genuinely worrying. Can't see it ever coming back mind.

I'm dead ( ! ) against it.  I feel really strongly about this issue and always have.  I can remember when I was about 10 there was a guy in America that was executed and it was all over the news for some reason and it really upset me that this could happen.

There is no proof that it serves as an effective deterent, and it's just basically eye-for-an-eye bullshit that should never be brought back over here.  Bringing it back would be a huge step backwards - the idea that a constructive solution to the sickest and most shocking crimes is to effectively commit another crime is absurd.  It also completely trashes prison and rehabilitation as a set of ideas.  The only thing I'd change is that I think being in prison for a serious crime should be a more primitive existence than what it appears to be in this country, but that's another issue of course.

Hasn't really achieved anything even in the countries that still have it. Murder is still rampant, for Paedophiles I would like to see them locked up and the key thrown away, never to be released.

http://www.mortgagequestcambridge.co.uk/imagelibrary/pound_sign.png

The idea it would act as a deterrant is ludicrous imo. I don't think that when someone goes on a murderous rampage they're thinking about the consequences and how much worse death would be than life inprisonment.

The easiest argument against it hasn't even been mentioned yet.

edit: interesting that 30% have voted pro but no-one's mentioned it..

I undecided, maybe because i feel like some crimes are so terrible that the person commiting them does not deserve to live, but i understand that i don't have the right to decide and nor should anyone really.

I dont have a reason to wish anyone dead however certain things would certainly make me, there are crimes which you see on the news and i think if that was someone i loved i would kill the person responsible.  I actually have the upmost respect for families that forgive killers for example but really do not think i could do it.

I personally think that the biggest impact that could be made on criminals would be tougher sentences for lesser crimes.

Hasn't really achieved anything even in the countries that still have it. Murder is still rampant, for Paedophiles I would like to see them locked up and the key thrown away, never to be released.

http://www.mortgagequestcambridge.co.uk/imagelibrary/pound_sign.png

Isn't it usually that excecuting someone in the US costs a lot more than locking them up for life, given the enormous legal process that has to be gone through, over a period of about 10 years?  It's probably cheaper in countries where the government just decides you're worthy of death and beheads you the next morning, but then I'm not sure if that's the model death penalty advocates are wanting to follow.

The idea it would act as a deterrant is ludicrous imo. I don't think that when someone goes on a murderous rampage they're thinking about the consequences and how much worse death would be than life inprisonment.

Wrongful executions?

Isn't the life expectancy on death row something like 20 years? In the prog last night they got around this quite cleverly by saying the home sec decided on any appeal within 30days. This was painted as a good thing for the prisoner too as it stopped them having to wait around for too long which was the 'worst' part of the process for the prisoner. I found it the most interesting angle that was brought up last night.

Wrongful executions?

Yup. Just ask David Gale.

I'm very much on the fence.

One side of it, is that it's just wrong. No one's got the right to kill anyone else, violence breeds violence etc. etc. I find it to be just horribly wrong.

But, on the other hand, if I came home and found my entire family murdered, the fucker who's done deserves to die.

One side of it, is that it's just wrong. No one's got the right to kill anyone else, violence breeds violence etc. etc. I find it to be just horribly wrong.

But, on the other hand, if I came home and found my entire family murdered, the fucker who's done deserves to die.

I can see what you mean and I'd feel like that too, but ultimately I don't think I could go through with it. If I couldn't pull the lever myself I couldn't expect the state to do it for me. Not that I could ever forgive the person.

But, on the other hand, if I came home and found my entire family murdered, the f***er who's done deserves to die.

I can see what you mean and I'd feel like that too, but ultimately I don't think I could go through with it. If I couldn't pull the lever myself I couldn't expect the state to do it for me. Not that I could ever forgive the person.

It wouldn't make you feel any better either, not really. It would just be the most basic kind of revenge... which definitely isn't something that goverments should be getting involved with.

Guest GAMMELL

Give this f*ck the chair

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/article32881.ece/BINARY/gallery-large/15.10.05.+PIC+BRADLEY+ORMESHER.+WIGAN+V+NEWCASTLE+UNITED.TOON+BOSS+GRAEME+SOUNESS.png

Death always seemed to me as a lesser punishment than a life sentence.. Surely dying in a couple of seconds is preferable to 40 years of anal rape in prison..

The problem with that is, especially the electric chair a lot of the prisoners don't die strait away they have to give them second zap. I'm also puzzled how the victims families can watch that person die, I ould find it very hard to sit there and watch someone die.