X-box lock out

madras

so come on then.....who's been caught ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8354166.stm

Thousands of gamers may have been cut off from Microsoft's online gaming service Xbox Live for modifying their consoles to play pirated games.

Online reports suggest that as many as 600,000 gamers may have been affected.

Microsoft confirmed that it had banned a "small percentage" of the 20 million Xbox Live users worldwide.

Microsoft said that modifying an Xbox 360 console "violates" the service's "terms of use" and would result in a player being disconnected.

"All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and that modifying their Xbox 360 console to play pirated discs violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live," Microsoft has said in a statement.

"The health of the video game business depends on customers paying for the genuine products and services they receive from manufacturers, retailers, and the third parties that support them."

Close-up of Xbox 360 Elite, Microsoft

Xbox gamer on being cut off

Read more of your reaction

The Xbox 360 is equipped with Digital Rights Management (DRM)technologies to detect pirated software.

But many gamers modify their consoles by installing new chips or software that allows them to run unofficial - but not always illegal - programs and games. However, some chips are specifically designed to play pirated games.

Microsoft has not said how it was able to determine which gamers to disconnect.

"We do not reveal specifics, but can say that all consoles have been verified to have violated the terms of use," the firm said in a statement.

Affected gamers were met with a message during the login process. It read: ""Your console has been banned from Xbox".

Reports suggest that the ban does not stop the console from working and only affects a gamer's Xbox Live account.

Industry figures suggest that piracy may cost the video game industry as much as £750m a year.

In other news, a UK court has dismissed a man's appeal against an earlier conviction for selling modification chips - "modchips" that allow gamers to play illegal games.

Christopher Gillham's earlier conviction was upheld by Hereford Crown Court which found that playing counterfeit games on a modified console infringed copyrights.

There is a games forum, this is already being discussed in said forum.

i'm not going in there in case i turn in to a geek or nerd like those in the self inflicted dungeon that is the games section. it's in the news at the minute so is legit for gen chat.

i'm not going in there in case i turn in to a geek or nerd like those in the self inflicted dungeon that is the games section. it's in the news at the minute so is legit for gen chat.

Ok, then I  shall begin making threads for anything gaming based that sneaks onto the technology pages of BBC news.

Modding 360s is pretty stupid.

?!

Why is it stupid?

Get 3-4 games free and it saves you the money for a new console incase you get banned. Which happens very very rarely

+ not everyone even plays these games online, so being banned from XBL is of no consequence.

Guest Heneage

Get 3-4 games free and it saves you the money for a new console incase you get banned. Which happens very very rarely

Depends what you use it for, I only use my Xbox because of Live.

Guest Stephen927

Depends what you use it for, I only use my Xbox because of Live.

Same.

Got banned last week. :(

Bit lucky though, my yearly Live subscription was about to run out and I was undecided as to whether I should renew or not incase I did get caught, so it happened before I blew £25 down the drain.

Might go out and get a 2nd Xbox purely for Live and FIFA/MW2.

Got banned last week. :(

Bit lucky though, my yearly Live subscription was about to run out and I was undecided as to whether I should renew or not incase I did get caught, so it happened before I blew £25 down the drain.

Might go out and get a 2nd Xbox purely for Live and FIFA/MW2.

I've got the 2 bad boys. FIFA and Rock Band are on my XBL capable Xbox, the other Xbox is for the rest. If there is something I know I'll play a great deal, or play online, I just buy it anyway.

Ok, then I  shall begin making threads for anything gaming based that sneaks onto the technology pages of BBC news.

?!

Why is it stupid?

well i was thinking more national news ie national braodcast news (tv and radio) aswell as front page on the beeb website. but if you want play silly twatful games..............well thats up to you.

?!

Why is it stupid?

well i was thinking more national news ie national braodcast news (tv and radio) aswell as front page on the beeb website. but if you want play silly twatful games..............well thats up to you.

Well don't make silly twatful comments about the games forum. The reason it's such a seperate entity is because of attitudes like your own.

?!

Why is it stupid?

Well don't make silly twatful comments about the games forum. The reason it's such a seperate entity is because of attitudes like your own.

raw nerve identified.

Don't know that much about the technicalities, but if you mod your Xbox illegally and you get caught, then albeit it's perhaps unlucky, it's tough shit.

Aye, agreed. No-one who mods these things ever claims that it'll survive on XBL forever, everyone knows the risks.

note: I'm sure there may be some Xbox modders who have modded their Xbox for random, perfectly acceptable reasons that are perhaps being unfairly persecuted, i.e. they've not modded it to be able to play copied games.

Fair play to Microsoft for the bannings... at the end of the day people are losing jobs in the games industry because of poor sales due to piracy and the second hand market.

Saying that I'd probably do the same if I wasn't bothered about live,  I'd do what  burnip does and buy the decent titles I'd know i'd play a lot and just download a few crap titles just to try them out.

Has anyone managed to hack the PS3 yet?

Guest Heneage

Fair play to Microsoft for the bannings... at the end of the day people are losing jobs in the games industry because of poor sales due to piracy and the second hand market.

Saying that I'd probably do the same if I wasn't bothered about live,  I'd do what  burnip does and buy the decent titles I'd know i'd play a lot and just download a few crap titles just to try them out.

Has anyone managed to hack the PS3 yet?

Exactly, they put time and effort into creating these games, I still think MS are tight with the points systems and this whole DLC shit, but I can't blame them for banning flashed Xbox's from the system.

I know for a fact I'll never even be tempted to flash mine, it is very much a toy for me and I only like to play certain games, so I maybe buy 3-5 games a year, often paying for it with trade ins.