Sky, Sky Sports, HD, Sky+ and so on - is it worth it?

Neil

Just wondering about what people think of the whole Sky package. Do you have it? If so, is it the full package? Do you think it's worth it?

This is more out of curiosity than anything. Can't really afford it at uni but back home, we used to have Sky (everything apart from Sky Movies), but they kept hiking the price up month after month, and eventually my Dad just couldn't be arsed with it anymore and we make do with Free-view.

Do you get your TV package as part of a phone/broadband/TV deal? Does this offer better value? Not immediately pushing to get it at uni or home like, but it would be interesting to see what people have to say.

Depends on if you're well off really.

It's nice to have, but it's very easy to manage without it at the same time. Most big games can be watched in a pub or online anyway.

I get it in for the NFL season then get rid, personally.

It's expensive as hell. But it's all relative to what you're bringing in and how much you value your sports and HD content. The entire reason I get it is live HD football/NFL. No other option and I deem it worth the money.

Just wondering about what people think of the whole Sky package. Do you have it? If so, is it the full package? Do you think it's worth it?

This is more out of curiosity than anything. Can't really afford it at uni but back home, we used to have Sky (everything apart from Sky Movies), but they kept hiking the price up month after month, and eventually my Dad just couldn't be arsed with it anymore and we make do with Free-view.

Do you get your TV package as part of a phone/broadband/TV deal? Does this offer better value? Not immediately pushing to get it at uni or home like, but it would be interesting to see what people have to say.

Get the basic cable package and get a eurovox and you'll get everything except the HD which is totally overrated anyway.

If you aren't in a cable area stick with council telly.

Our Sky package costs us £57 per month and for that we get;

Decoders in two rooms

Full Package - Movies and Sports

Sky+

I had the HD package when it first came out but had it taken off as I didn't think it was that much better to justify the £10 per month.

I've not bothered putting the phone/broadband packages through it yet but probably will do.

We use it a fair bit, think Sky+ is immense and for £15 a week don't think it represents bad value.

That said, because we live down South without any family to help looking after our Son we don't really get out much so maybe it's a little easier to justify the cost for us?

Get the basic cable package and get a eurovox and you'll get everything except the HD which is totally overrated anyway.

If you aren't in a cable area stick with council telly.

You can get eurovox in hd now. If you have the internet or have had a cable box you'll have a live feed aswell so you don't even have to sign up for a cable package.

Our Sky package costs us £57 per month and for that we get;

Decoders in two rooms

Full Package - Movies and Sports

Sky+

I had the HD package when it first came out but had it taken off as I didn't think it was that much better to justify the £10 per month.

I've not bothered putting the phone/broadband packages through it yet but probably will do.

We use it a fair bit, think Sky+ is immense and for £15 a week don't think it represents bad value.

That said, because we live down South without any family to help looking after our Son we don't really get out much so maybe it's a little easier to justify the cost for us?

???

Strange pricing strategy from Sky. I guess £57 a month isn't too bad if you're sharing the price out with 2 or 3 others.

Guest Stephen927

We've got the full package HD. The movies are good for the first few weeks then they repeat everything, sports is good but I can never be arsed watching anything other than NUFC games.

Just get normal Sky Plus tbh, I wouldn't bother with movies or sports.

Sky+ definitely worth it.  I got HD in within the first week of it coming out but quickly became disappointed with the amount and quality of available HD programs.  Although the quality was, and obviously still is, amazing.  At the time we were paying about £56 a month but since then I've downgraded quite a bit and don't miss the channels.

I was on the phone to Sky last week to downgrade a bit more and save some more pennies after my mate got 3 months free when he said he was thinking of leaving.  I didn't manage to get quite what he got but they've started giving me broadband for free (I thought the £5 a month I was paying was a bargain anyway) and gave me 12 months free on the Skytalk package.  I'm now paying £21 a month so I'm happy enough.

isn't Sky+ free with the full sky package anycase?

Yeah but the box is £50 more!

Free Sky+ boxes offer in the run up to Christmas, thinking of going for it, still pricey even on the most basic package though.

Free Sky+ boxes offer in the run up to Christmas, thinking of going for it, still pricey even on the most basic package though.

beware some sky+ boxes are faulty as fuck

beware some sky+ boxes are faulty as fuck

Ours has been playing up, it would say it recorded something then when you came to watch it it would say the time length was 0 mins and wouldn't do anything.  Also kept saying 2 programmes clashed when they were on at different times. They've sorted it now thankfully.

Watching football in HD is class like, that's for sure.

On a different note, I just decided to give Sky Mobile for the iPhone/iTouch a go for a month. £6 a month is pretty expensive when you're only getting the sports channels, and I've only tried it on the wireless connection in the house but the quality of picture and sound is absolutely superb. If I don't use it alot or the connection struggles from other WiFi locations then I'll probably drop it, but we don't have multiroom and fighting the TV to watch footy is a bit of a pain so this might turn out to be pretty useful.

Got everything through Sky - all channels apart form the movies, HD box downstairs and normal Sky+ upstairs, broadband and phone rental and calls. Bill last month was about £70. Seems like a lot but it's still cheaper than having BT and paying for broadband from Tiscali or someone else. No complaints here. :)

Watching football in HD is class like, that's for sure.

On a different note, I just decided to give Sky Mobile for the iPhone/iTouch a go for a month. £6 a month is pretty expensive when you're only getting the sports channels, and I've only tried it on the wireless connection in the house but the quality of picture and sound is absolutely superb. If I don't use it alot or the connection struggles from other WiFi locations then I'll probably drop it, but we don't have multiroom and fighting the TV to watch footy is a bit of a pain so this might turn out to be pretty useful.

I take it you got the code for 3 free months?

That's what I'm rocking right now. I don't have ESPN proper, so this will work for that :)

Freeview ftw.

Dave, Dave Ja Vu, BBC3 for Family Guy, Film Four and Sky Sports News. A one off payment and eventually all TV channels will be digital and all tele's will incorporate all the channels imo.

I could be wrong like - but based on the above it also gives you an excuse to go out for a few bevvies with the lads if you want to watch the footy (if your married or cohabiting of course).

Sky Sports is worth it, HD is decent but not worth the additional £10 per month, Movies is poor with limited selection and constant repeats, the Entertainment pack would be great if Sky didn't take the piss with the length and frequency of adverts, and although it's stating the obvious, everything else is pointless unless it has something you specifically want.

Sky can be cheaper beyond the minimum contract term if you can be bothered to phone them every 3-6 months and request an account cancellation because the price is too high. They'll usually offer some sort of deal to keep you. Best I've had is 6 months half price for the full package, although recently they've only offered 25% off. This can be done continuously, as they'll always make the offer, and even if they don't you can always cancel the cancellation and then try again later.

Also, worth using http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php if possible, to avoid using Sky's normal numbers which are 6p a minute plus 5p connection charge from a BT line, more from a mobile (sometimes it can take 15+ minutes to get through, which is £1-2 wasted).