Barry Moat - I'd sell the naming rights.

peasepud

Seems Barry Moat is now saying in an exclusive interview with SSN that hes thinking of putting another offer in for the club and has this to say....

Barry Moat admits he too would consider selling the naming rights of St James' Park were he ever to complete a takeover at Newcastle United.

Current owner Mike Ashley has taken the Championship club off the market after he could not find anyone willing to meet his £80million valuation, with local businessman Moat known to be interested.

Ashley's controversial tenure has come in for even more criticism over the past few weeks after he took the decision to rename the club's home ground sportsdirect.com@St James' Park, with Sports Direct being the sportswear firm he owns.

Although it was another hugely unpopular move by Ashley in the eyes of supporters, Moat insists it is something which most clubs have to consider.

He told Sky Sports News: "I think you have to explore things like naming rights, you have to do that.

"Unfortunately we live in a world where football is big business, and the gap between the Championship and the Premier League is getting bigger all the time.

"So you have to do things to close that gap. We need to get back up to the Premier League as quickly as possible.

"I think if you have to do some of those things, by taking the commercial benefit of a sponsor, then as far as I'm concerned if that gets the right players on the pitch, gives you the right entertainment on a Saturday, then where do I sign?"

We welcome any serious offers for Newcastle but this is de-ja-vue, we will continue our fan based campaign to make the club accountable to the city again. It is only 4 days in and we've had a massive response pledging investment from large and small investors. We've made approaches to Mr Moat previously and had no reply but we're happy to speak to anyone who has the long term interests of Newcastle at heart. If he has any ideas about how he would take the club forward apart from carrying on the idea of selling the name of SJP 'for commercial reasons' then once again we would happily talk. One point of immediate disagreement is the issue of re-naming the ground. We'll be clear, under a Trust led bid there would be no change of name. 23,000 customers asked us not to through our online petition on www.nust.org.uk We have a series of commercial ideas that don't strip out the history of the club and would retain the integrity of SJP'.

'Barry Moat - I'd sell the naming rights'

He doesn't say that, not in those quotes anyway.

I wonder if this is going to be a series of snippets btw; seems strange for him to just come out and say this. Has he got an opinion on the rest of his supposed takeover?

We welcome any serious offers for Newcastle but this is de-ja-vue, we will continue our fan based campaign to make the club accountable to the city again. It is only 4 days in and we've had a massive response pledging investment from large and small investors. We've made approaches to Mr Moat previously and had no reply but we're happy to speak to anyone who has the long term interests of Newcastle at heart. If he has any ideas about how he would take the club forward apart from carrying on the idea of selling the name of SJP 'for commercial reasons' then once again we would happily talk. One point of immediate disagreement is the issue of re-naming the ground. <b>We'll be clear, under a Trust led bid there would be no change of name. 23,000 customers asked us not to through our online petition on www.nust.org.uk</b> We have a series of commercial ideas that don't strip out the history of the club and would retain the integrity of SJP'.

Isnt that down to the President and the board not the people running NUST at the moment?

my personal opinion is that Moat has just been used by Ashley to try and attract interest in others to buy the club and this is just another piece of Ashley propaganda rather than NUST propaganda like someone said earlier.

I wish these businessmen would stop raping football. It's going to end up being called Soccer globally soon and we're going to be the Tyneside Magpies playing the Liverpool Toffees - with cheerleaders and lots of shiny helmets on display on our Lets Rape Football @ St James' Park pitch. The box may end up the end-zone and Mike Cashley will finally be happy as will others.

Mongsticks.

"So you have to do things to close that gap. We need to get back up to the Premier League as quickly as possible.

"I think if you have to do some of those things, by taking the commercial benefit of a sponsor, then as far as I'm concerned if that gets the right players on the pitch, gives you the right entertainment on a Saturday, then where do I sign?"

What utter bollocks.

Llambias has already come out and said the money will not go towards transfers. He said there will be little or no transfer kitty in January whatever happens and he would prefer more loan signings.

Moat is either badly out of touch with events at SJP or his "bid" was a classic salesman stunt by Ashley to flush out potential bidders. Having read these comments my money is on the latter.

We welcome any serious offers for Newcastle but this is de-ja-vue, we will continue our fan based campaign to make the club accountable to the city again. It is only 4 days in and we've had a massive response pledging investment from large and small investors. We've made approaches to Mr Moat previously and had no reply but we're happy to speak to anyone who has the long term interests of Newcastle at heart. If he has any ideas about how he would take the club forward apart from carrying on the idea of selling the name of SJP 'for commercial reasons' then once again we would happily talk. One point of immediate disagreement is the issue of re-naming the ground. <b>We'll be clear, under a Trust led bid there would be no change of name. 23,000 customers asked us not to through our online petition on www.nust.org.uk</b> We have a series of commercial ideas that don't strip out the history of the club and would retain the integrity of SJP'.

Isnt that down to the President and the board not the people running NUST at the moment?

If the club were to be run like Barca or Real Madrid (I assume they're looking at a similar model) then I would imagine a chairman (or 'president') would be elected by the fans to run the club. As Laporta was at Barcelona, or Perez who was re-elected at Real Madrid this year. Anyone running for election would surely curry favour with the fans (voters) by promising he will keep the stadium's name. No chairman/president would dare change it because he would lose the majority of votes if he did. Could you imagine a president at Real or Barca doing that? He'd be out the door straight away. The NUST are right there's no chance it would be changed because the chairman is chosen by the fans.

It's not a foolproof system by any means but like most fans I like the Barca/Real model, both practically speaking and out of principle. It makes the owner accountable and gives the fans the chance to get rid if he's making a hash of things, or keep him in charge if he's doing a good job (eg Laporta who has stayed president at Barcelona for 6 years).  There would be major question marks over how the club would be funded but right now the biggest question mark is whether we have a big enough fanbase to make it a reality.

What utter bollocks.

Llambias has already come out and said the money will not go towards transfers. He said there will be little or no transfer kitty in January whatever happens and he would prefer more loan signings.

Moat is either badly out of touch with events at SJP or his "bid" was a classic salesman stunt by Ashley to flush out potential bidders. Having read these comments my money is on the latter.

He is saying what 'he' would use the money for, not what 'they' are doing with the cash raised from sports direct for the use of the name.

But your point about his 'bid' stands.

Guest Stephen927

This isn't a bit of propaganda by the NUST is it? Highlight a quote from a rival bidder to try and gain more favour for their own?

Pretty snidey if you ask me.

I'm thinking so.

Show me please where Barry Moat says he would sell the naming rights.

This isn't a bit of propaganda by the NUST is it? Highlight a quote from a rival bidder to try and gain more favour for their own?

I'm thinking so.

Show me please where Barry Moat says he would sell the naming rights.

It's pretty clearly implied he would. He wouldn't say it explicitly without knowing the figures it would bring in in advance and he also wouldn't say it explicitly given the reaction to MA changing the name. I don't have a problem with anyone highlighting this.

It isn't even like NUST are even talking him down:

We've made approaches to Mr Moat previously and had no reply but we're happy to speak to anyone who has the long term interests of Newcastle at heart

I don't know about the implications but I guess it could be part of the bid that the stadium wouldn't be renamed; it's hardly a difficult scenario for a would be 'president' to work within. Given that it's a petition on their site it isn't like they'd be overruling on anything and everything; this is a very specific issue that has generally been strongly rejected by Newcastle fans.

How is this snidey ?

NUSC trying to win the trust of the fans and trying to takeover the club would only naturally advertise their cause, and promote themselves including how are they different from rival bidders (which include Barry Moat).

Very fair play. And NUSC is not making up lies or whatever.

So the NUST is happy for the average fan to put their pensions into help their cause, but if a multibillionaire company wants to stick millions in and their name in front of St James', then it's a no-go as far as they're concerned?

Sorry but I don't like that one little bit. Very closed-minded.

I'd imagine if a situation ever arose whereby it was going to be of serious financial benefit (i.e. something mental like £4m a season) and the elected president wanted it considered it would go to a members vote. It seems a logical policy for the time being given the petition on their site.

Are we back to crucifying NUST on purely hypothetical situations that have been concocted by the boys and girls on here and not the people that actually run the trust?

Get in :lol:

Well no, because the new President wouldn't get a say because someone from the NUST is already saying there'll be no name change...