NME's top 50 albums of the noughties

Interpolic

NME have released a list of their top 50 albums of the noughties.  It's pretty safe stuff tbf, but there are quite a few on there that you can't argue with imo: Arcade Fire, Interpol, LCD Soundsystem, At The Drive-In, Radiohead, YYYs, etc.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/nov/17/nme-top-albums-decade-noughties?showallcomments=true#comment-51

NME's top 50 albums of the noughties revealed

1. The Strokes - Is This It

2. The Libertines - Up the Bracket

3. Primal Scream - xtrmntr

4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell

6. PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

7. Arcade Fire - Funeral

8. Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights

9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material

10. Radiohead - In Rainbows

11. At The Drive In - Relationship of Command

12. LCD Soundsystem - The Sound of Silver

13. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away

14. Radiohead - Kid A

15. Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

16. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free

17. Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

18. The White Stripes - Elephant

19. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

20. Blur - Think Tank

21. The Coral - The Coral

22. Jay-Z - The Blueprint

23. Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future

24. The Libertines - The Libertines

25. Rapture - Echoes

26. Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner

27. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

28. Johnny Cash - Man Comes Around

29. Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World

30. Elbow - Asleep In the Back

31. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

32. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

33. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

34. Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump

35. Babyshambles - Down in Albion

36. Spirtualized - Let It Come Down

37. The Knife - Silent Shout

38. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

39. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

40. Ryan Adams - Gold

41. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers

42. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

43. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

44. Outkast - Loveboxxx/The Love Below

45. Avalanches - Since I Left You

46. Delgados - The Great Eastern

47. Brendan Benson - Lapalco

48. Walkmen - Bows and Arrows

49. Muse - Absolution

50. MIA - Arular

Also while we're at it, here's Pitchfork's top 20:

http://stereogum.com/archives/list/pitchforks_20_greatest_albums_of_the_00s_093381.html

20 Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights [Matador, 2002]

19 Spoon - Kill The Moonlight [Merge, 2002]

18 Kanye West - Late Registration [Roc-A-Fella, 2002]

17 LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver [EMI/DFA, 2007]

16 Sufjan Stevens - Illinois [Asthmatic Kitty, 2005]

15 The Knife - Silent Shout [Mute/Rabid, 2006]

14 Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion [Domino, 2009]

13 OutKast - Stankonia [La Face, 2000]

12 The White Stripes - White Blood Cells [sympathy For The Record Industry, 2001]

11 Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele [sony, 2000]

10 The Avalanches - Since I Left You [Modular/Interscope, 2000]

09 Panda Bear - Person Pitch [Paw Tracks, 2007]

08 Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun [smekkleysa; 2000]

07 The Strokes - Is This It [RCA, 2001]

06 Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica [Epic, 2000]

05 Jay-Z - The Blueprint [Roc-A-Fella, 2001]

04 Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot [Nonesuch, 2002]

03 Daft Punk - Discovery [Virgin, 2001]

02 Arcade Fire - Funeral [Merge, 2004]

01 Radiohead - Kid A [Capitol, 2000]

Decent enough from NME apart from being a bit obvious in places. Good to see the Streets well up there, Crystal Castles is a good inclusion imo too, didn't expect to see that there. No Sigur Ros is a weird/wrong one. Pitchfork is pretentious as fuck but it isn't a bad list, I've heard of more of it than I'd expect to from them. Never could get into that Knife album mind.

I don't get The Libertines.  I knew they'd be on there because so many people love them, but they're average imo.  The Cribs are loads better than them if you want straightforward, orthodox indie music, except they don't do heroin.

Actually where the fuck are The Cribs?  I thought the NME loved The Cribs.

I don't get The Libertines.  I knew they'd be on there because so many people love them, but they're average imo.  The Cribs are loads better than them if you want straightforward, orthodox indie music, except they don't do heroin.

Fuck off man :lol: The Cribs are dogshite compared to The Libertines.

Are Paramore emo? Never tried them because the only people I know who like them like rubbish things.

"The band isn't just a short pop-punk girl with red hair and a spunky attitude. Their music is like them, it's aged differently. It's sped up, and slowed down. It's emo without being whiny, or bratty."

I shouldn't get involved in music discussions. People will castigate my taste in music.

Fuck off man :lol: The Cribs are dogshite compared to The Libertines.

Honestly mate, I'm not on the wind-up - I don't get all the fuss with the Libertines.  I can't help thinking that, similar to Amy Winehouse, they're hugely overrated because Pete Doherty's a knackerjob.  Would anyone really care about Libs / Winehouse without the interesting back-story?

I bought the 'What a Waster' single and really liked it, but wasn't very impressed with the albums.  Also I really rate The Cribs.

The real judge of music... my Last.fm profile... says...

Top Albums:

Way to Normal - Ben Folds

Puzzle - Biffy Clyro

Essential MJ - Michael Jackson

Only by the Night - Kings of Leon

Futures - Jimmy Eat World

Myths of the Nea Future - Klaxons

Riot! - Paramore

The Rising Tied - Fort Minor

Flyleaf - Flyleaf

Silent Alarm - Bloc Party

Rockin' the Suburbs - Ben Folds

The Quilt - Gym Class Heroes

Collision Course - Jay Z/Linkin Park

Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever - The Cribs

Costello Music - The Fratellis

The Libs have got some fantastic tracks though, Time for Heroes and Don't look back into the sun are both absolutely brilliant.

I suppose.  See I think that they've got a few decent songs yeah, but not enough to warrant any kind of fuss.  It's a strange one though, I should not be trusted with this kind of stuff.  I hate The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and loads of other stuff that people kick off about when I tell them.

Incidentally, someone in the office made me put a playlist on this morning and everybody's just started kicking off about 'Sabotage' by Beastie Boys like I'm sawing hamster heads off or something.  I didn't even want to put a playlist on because I know that this is what I'm dealing with.

Incidentally, someone in the office made me put a playlist on this morning and everybody's just started kicking off about 'Sabotage' by Beastie Boys like I'm sawing hamster heads off or something.  I didn't even want to put a playlist on because I know that this is what I'm dealing with.

Well I would've enjoyed it. It's in The [email protected] 10 Burnip Tracks List.

I think "Standing on the Shoulder of Giants" should have been on the NME list, it's a very good album (with the exception of one or two tracks) but anyway. The list is very safe and IMO shows how bad modern music is becoming. I mean the streets in a top ten? I'm not saying Jay-Z should or shouldn't be in that list but he WOULDN'T have been if it wasn't for the Glastonburry thing last year (NME still go on about when no one else gives a fuck about it). Glad to see a Ryan Adams album on the list but Heartbreaker and Cardinology should be there too.

I think "Standing on the Shoulder of Giants" should have been on the NME list, it's a very good album (with the exception of one or two tracks) but anyway. The list is very safe and IMO shows how bad modern music is becoming. I mean the streets in a top ten? I'm not saying Jay-Z should or shouldn't be in that list but he WOULDN'T have been if it wasn't for the Glastonburry thing last year (NME still go on about when no one else gives a fuck about it). Glad to see a Ryan Adams album on the list but Heartbreaker and Cardinology should be there too.

Very safe and shows how bad modern music is becoming and yet you propose having an Oasis album on there? It is generally safe but by doing 50 they've allowed themselves to put a few less expected albums on there, the likes of LCD, Johnny Cash, The Streets and Crystal Castles that I wouldn't associate with NME (haven't read it for 2-3 years now mind). Interpolic listed a few classic albums that you can't really argue with and whilst I feel the upper reaches of the list is a bit boring I certainly didn't expect to see PJ in there at 6. Basically it's better than I expected is the long winded and dull point I'm making.