Why do you drink?

Neil

....and nope, I'm not drunk atm.

A few conversations about this have got me thinking. I'm not considering giving up alcohol as such but as I say, a few things have got me wondering about this a lot. If you do drink, or more specifically go out drinking, why? Is there an overriding reason for this?

Is it perhaps because everyone else does, and as such you feel a form of pressure to do the same? Or perhaps you just luuuurve the drink, the taste of it and so on?

Do you enjoy being sozzled, and do you often intend to get to that state?

Bottoms up.

Never drink in the house hardly or if i'm on my own. Go out much more for the craic, seeing people i wouln't otherwise see, music and birds much more than the drink. I usually get my self in a much worse state than i intended to, but have only been really really bad a couple of times.

For the laugh usually and that it is the done thing at Uni, it has cost me s*** loads of money though, and have decided that I will only have the odd drink socially after I leave uni. Some of my housemates have come back steaming tonight and it has reminded me that I f***ing hate them when they're pissed and that I'm pretty sick of them in general and will not be living with them next year.

I drink at home often but I also live with three of my best friends so we all pretty much are drinking and talkin' shit anyway.  I do love getting down to the bar though for the "craic" (as you all say) with chicks and other random bar patrons.

I dunno if it's an age thing, but I've recently reached a stage where I get bored of drinking after about the 2nd drink. I suppose I get a small buzz but then I feel bloated and it all feels kinda pointless.

I have been drinking for 33 years, and I used to hammer it. I would start on a Thurday night. Then a full (6pm -4am) Friday Night. All day (11am-4am) Saturday. Then if there was a game Sunday (11am-11pm).

Now I think about how much cash I've literally pissed away, and how little I remember of the 'good' times.

I've never cared about drinking, and I've often wondered why people think it's so important. I love going out as much as anyone, but it's just the friends, music, women and atmosphere really.

I never get drunk really, don't drink enough for that... I could just as happily drink water all night.

I've never cared about drinking, and I've often wondered why people think it's so important. I love going out as much as anyone, but it's just the friends, music, women and atmosphere really.

I never get drunk really, don't drink enough for that... I could just as happily drink water all night.

I'm always suspicious with people who say that. Why don't you then? It'd be loads cheaper. There'll also be a lot of people who claim they don't need to drink to have a good time, but always do anyway. I nearly always drink when I go out because it generally helps me have a better night. I also drink at home, can't beat a glass or two of nice red with a meal. Basically, drinking is bang on.

I like the taste of a lot of drinks, but I mainly drink to wind down and relax. If I am out I do it as a social thing. Plus I can imagine most bars would annoy me if I was sober, I cant stand being sober and surrounded by drunk people.

I don't drink at home. Not because I'm against it, it's just I've got three young kids at home and I'd hate to be in a situation where I needed to drive one of them to the doctors or hospital and couldn't because I'd had four or five cans. My brother, on the other hand, will easily drink a bottle of wine or a large bottle of strongbow every night of the week despite him also having young kids at home.

If I'm in the pub at the weekend and the kids are at my parents then I'll happily knock back a few bottles of Magners (until I'm bloated) and then hit the shorts. I don't need to drink when I go out, I've had some really good nights stone cold sober, but I do like a bevvy and if you've had a long week I see nowt wrong with getting trousered and having a curry/kebab on a saturday night. Just try not to get in any bother along with it. Nothing I hate more than pissed up morons trying it for the rest of us by smashing up the town.

Guest Stephen927

I don't drink at home. Not because I'm against it, it's just I've got three young kids at home and I'd hate to be in a situation where I needed to drive one of them to the doctors or hospital and couldn't because I'd had four or five cans. My brother, on the other hand, will easily drink a bottle of wine or a large bottle of strongbow every night of the week despite him also having young kids at home.

Aye, thats the way I feel as I'm the only one who can drive at home.

I drink cos I like the taste and the atmosphere. If I don't fancy a drink though I'll just have a few pints then go onto cokes like the other night when I was out with my mates and they were hitting the drink quite hard, I stopped after 5 pints just cos I didn't fancy it. Glad I did like cos they were hammered and it was a right ballache to get them home, including 3 different run ins with the police :facepalm:

I'm always suspicious with people who say that. Why don't you then? It'd be loads cheaper. There'll also be a lot of people who claim they don't need to drink to have a good time, but always do anyway. I nearly always drink when I go out because it generally helps me have a better night. I also drink at home, can't beat a glass or two of nice red with a meal. Basically, drinking is bang on.

Good question! I suppose just social convention... people would look at me funny! :blush:

If you're going to press me I suppose 'just as happily' might be slightly wrong... what I meant was that if someone told me I couldn't drink, or for whatever reason I didn't, it wouldn't bother me. I do enjoy a couple of pints when I go out.

After a stressful/hard working day, nothing nicer than a cold beer whilst watching the tele.

Going out wise, I pretty much always drink whenever I go out, particularly as I don't really like clubs I have to be pretty pissed to enjoy it. Much rather a night out with the lads at the pub.

Guest toonlass

I made a conscious decision to stop drinking 4 months ago. To be honest its the best thing I have ever done. I have been out to gigs and football matches and am not missing out on anything. I certainly don't miss having a hangover and I feel like I am more in control of myself. You all know what happened last year when I was severely pissed and I never want anything like that to happen again. So I am loads happier since I stopped drinking. Have to say my mates are a bunch of eejits when they are drunk, and I have stopped hanging about with them as much. I went to Forest in the car and was picking my brother up from Leeds on the way back, and I met up with my mates who I usually go to away matches with and they were absolutley bladdered. One can't even remember seeing me at half time. He got his face slapped by a lass because he called her a bitch because she didn't like him slobbering all over her, after nearly getting arrested in town for telling a policeman where to go when the policeman told him the game was not at Notts County ground where my mate was heading towards but was at the city ground. My other mate was so pissed he could hardly stand. I was really shocked to see them like this, cos I know that I was like that when I was drunk and I was really embarrassed.

A mixture of reasons. I like the taste of wine, cider, rum, vodka, so I drink those. Not really one for having a load of nasty shots to get plastered, prefer to do it gradually. I love the feeling of being ever so slightly out of control, which is why I also have a high caffeine intake. Used to take drugs as well for the same reason, but don't now. Plus I'm a shy person, and alcohol helps me feel a little more confident when I'm out. Don't like getting absolutely monged though.

Does anyone know what the strongest drink is that you can pick up in a supermarket now ? Need something to get my mate with as part of a joke in the next few weeks. Done one last year where everyone played a fifa tournamnet where you had to down a shot of vodka everytime you conceded and and extra treble for every player you got sent off and every time 5 goals were put passed you. Only thing was everyone else had water apart from one lad who also had his controller on manual and so was conceding shit loads everygame. Need to try and think of a way to get him to drink it aswell.

I drink for many reasons.  Life is f*cking shit at times and drives a man to look for some kind of escapism.  Drink does compound problems, that is a fact but you have a choice, remain sober and feel the constant misery and pain that life dishes out or remain in a constant state of being drunk.  I like being drunk.  I drink every single night without fail, both in the pub after work and then at home or just at home or just in the pub. It' drink forms a big part of my life.  That's actually quite sad (before some c*nt gets all judgemental, coming on here saying that drinking a lot is sad). 

I've had many good times being drunk......like waking up the next morning and thinking 'Christ, how the f*ck did I get home last night' or 'f*ck, what the hell am I doing in this bed' or 'Jesus, why the f*ck am I covered in claret, where's all this blood come from, why have I got someones index finger in the pocket of my blood-soacked Armani shirt'?

I like drinking, but I don't like being drunk.

When I say drunk, I mean pissed. There's definitely a point where I get too drunk, stop having a good time and start having a shit one, if I manage to call it quits before that then I'm good, but if I miss it then I'm fucked. I hate hangovers and all, so most of the time nowadays I call it a night before things get too messy, just to avoid feeling like shite the day after. Sometimes I can drink quite a lot and feel fine and other days I'm a proper lightweight, it's all very random, but that's what happens when you get old. :(